Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Football is over for us and schools like us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I don't think it is going to make that big of a difference. Cannon Motors might pay a Ole Miss player if he pans out to be good but not anyone coming out of high school. Business are not going to throw money away. I think they are going to have to be proven. At first there will be mistakes made giving money to unproven guys but they will learn. I just think nothing has changed. The Supreme Court did not say the schools had to pay the players it only said college athletes can make money off their name and images. You have to be good to get the big contracts and those guys were going to Bama and LSU anyways. Where it might be trouble a guy turns out to be good and some advertiser tell him he has to transfer to Bama as part of the contract. Who knows if enough schools gets pissed off the NCAA might change the transfer rules back to what they use to be if it gets out of hand.
    I'm not as concerned about in coming freshman as much as proven players who have a year or two left in college will go to a school which can offer a better deal!

I will say it again, agents will play a part especially in basketball. They already give "free advice" to baseball and basketball stars.

vCash
    I don’t care how much money we raise for players, the Bama’s of the world can top us ten fold. We only had a chance to be competitive in football when the playing field was somewhat level financially. That day is long gone. What we need to do is commit 20-25 football scholarships to two way Football/baseball players. Find the pitcher who played football his high school freshman year and put him on scholarship. Put every two way player on IR during football season so they don’t get hurt or let them all be the kickoff coverage team. Do you honestly think we will win more games with 85 scholarships vs 65 scholarships in the future we face?

Banned
    vCash
    Transfer situations getting interesting. Did bama cave and drop $1.2M due to a transfer threat? Should sitting out a year return?

vCash
    del
    Last edited by lastmajordog; 07-21-2021 at 10:22 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I'm not as concerned about in coming freshman as much as proven players who have a year or two left in college will go to a school which can offer a better deal!
    So you dont think Boosters will start sponsoring 4 and 5 star recruits during their Sr year of HS? I do. And now there arent any repercussions
    Last edited by Coach34; 07-21-2021 at 10:46 AM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    So you dont think Boosters will start sponsoring 4 and 5 star recruits their Sr year of HS? I do. And now there arent any repercussions
    Unfortunately you are right. One of my issues with this shit is that it doesn't reflect true advertising costs. What percent of general consumers keeps up with crootin?
    Last edited by OLJWales; 07-21-2021 at 11:04 AM.

vCash
    So you dont think Boosters will start sponsoring 4 and 5 star recruits during their Sr year of HS? I do. And now there arent any repercussions
    I think you are underestimating the MHSAA and the school districts. I know places like Rankin and Madison would never go for that

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    I think you are underestimating the MHSAA and the school districts. I know places like Rankin and Madison would never go for that
    Not if a judge says otherwise.

Jesus replied, “And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them.

Luke 11:46

vCash
    I did t say they want, just saying a proven player will get a good day one year deal in the free agent market.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post

I will say it again, agents will play a part especially in basketball. They already give "free advice" to baseball and basketball stars.
    Exactly how I see it as well! And agents can be paid by the sponsors. There is absolutely no stopping this. Think the NFL without contracts and without salary cap, the players are unproven, and donors call all the shots.

vCash
    The problem is this will become a lawsuit if they try and stop it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    It’s going to be a complete shit show..
    This could be the Webster's definition of "disaster", "dumpster fire" or "abomination"

vCash
    They won?t have a choice. AAU and 7 on 7?s already have sponsors. Now it will just be individual.

vCash
    They won?t have a choice. AAU and 7 on 7?s already have sponsors. Now it will just be individual.
    Im with you in that im concerned it hurts the sport but just dont think it will change that much. Only the stars and your QBs are going to get anything.

The one thing the media and some of the kids dont want people to know is that they were already getting paid. They are already getting a stipend every month to do what they want to do with on top of housing food education clothes whatever else. But you will never hear that on Gameday

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    At first thought you would think so. But it also could be a big problem down the line for those blue bloods. The worst thing that can happen to someone (especially young kids) is to get some money and get comfortable. If you take away that motivation or desire to succeed at the next level then they'll become complacent. Meanwhile the guys that didn't get as much and are still out to prove themselves will continue to work. Also, handing over a bunch of money to people who aren't mature enough to handle it can cause all sorts of ego and attitude problems. Maybe potential locker room issues.

So I can see both sides of it coming into play.

However, I lean to it hurting us more than helping. But my interest in cfball has dwindled mightily past few years so might as well put the nail in the coffin. Eventually people will tire of seeing the same 4-5 teams at the top and ratings will decline
    I've already tired of seeing the same teams at the top every year. The playoff has bored the hell out of me lately. Just don't care. I think we need to accept that we're a baseball school and throw everything we have at that, then just take whatever we get in football.

vCash
    Isn't it limited to current student athletes, not prospective? Meaning recruits.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowDawg View Post
    I've already tired of seeing the same teams at the top every year. The playoff has bored the hell out of me lately. Just don't care. I think we need to accept that we're a baseball school and throw everything we have at that, then just take whatever we get in football.
    Are you French?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Isn't it limited to current student athletes, not prospective? Meaning recruits.
    There is no more amateurism. You can't limit it at this point.

vCash
    There is no more amateurism. You can't limit it at this point.
    From what I've read, I find two things interesting. One, most high school associations have a rule that prevents an athlete from receiving payment related to his activities as an athlete. I wonder if the mhsaa has such a rule.
    Two, the ncaa rule allows for recruits "to engage in the same type of NIL opportunities available to current student athletes" but specifically says those opportunities may not be used as recruiting endorsements. Does that mean a booster, as defined by the NCAA, cannot provide an NIL opportunity for a high school athlete?

vCash
    I hope no one is surprised that college sports isn't unreachable by the swirling slick of sewage that has become every other part of life in the 21st century..