Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Football is over for us and schools like us

vCash
    At this point I look forward to seeing the whole sham burn down. Never been a watch the world burn type of guy, but I think it is time. This will totally snowball into lawsuits from other individuals like ladies who feel that they are being discriminated against by not having the same type NIL deal. Also I feel for some of our brightest students who work their ass off for academic scholarship money only to be laughed at by a football player with an ACT of 17 making 6 figures

vCash
    I imagine agents will get involved with this NIL thingy! Easy picking for them.

vCash
    I got a feeling UofMemphis is about to recruit better too. There are a lot of commercial entities that use Tiger basketball for ads. I'm sure some of those would be happy to have actual basketball and football players in those ads.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Now the NIL becomes a big factor in recruiting for the upcoming cycle. Kids are going to go where they can get the best deals. d
    Which just goes to show that a players Name and likeness is only as valuable as the brand under which they play. That kid will make $1million because he is the Bama QB. Not because of who he actually is. It's all bulls***.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCurtain74 View Post
    I can't wait until they start interviewing some of these kids after a big win and they start sounding like a damn NASCAR driver giving thanks and naming all of their sponsors.
    First off I'd like to thank God for blessing me with the opportunity to play at this level. Also want to thank my mama for driving me to practice all those days. And I got to thank, Bin612, Oby's, Trustmark bank, Parker McGill Dodge, and Bulldog Package Store for making all this possible. And don't forget my homies on the Little Dooey offensive line.

vCash
    Yes they have- but now it?s a lot easier for the big boys. They don?t have to try to hide it. We can?t come close to matching any of that. And now it makes it easier for schools in the middle to help their signees. Places like Houston, Memphis, Dallas, Birmingham, etc can generate more advertising dollars than we can.
    I think you may be surprised at the money we have backing MSU. I know several big time MSU alumni that would be willing to write off 250k a year to pay these players/family's or provide jobs for parents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    First off I'd like to thank God for blessing me with the opportunity to play at this level. Also want to thank my mama for driving me to practice all those days. And I got to thank, Bin612, Oby's, Trustmark bank, Parker McGill Dodge, and Bulldog Package Store for making all this possible. And don't forget my homies on the Little Dooey offensive line.
    LOL

vCash
    I laugh at ppl when they exclaim "I am done with college football because... ". But this could seriously kill it for me. I don't mind being somewhat na?ve and believing that next year will be THE year, but knowing that glimmer of hope will soon be diminished... I might as well punt now.
    Last edited by Turfdawg67; 07-20-2021 at 05:23 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    I think you may be surprised at the money we have backing MSU. I know several big time MSU alumni that would be willing to write off 250k a year to pay these players/family's or provide jobs for parents.
    Take whatever you think we have, multiply it by 50, 100, 200 times and you will have the Bama's and Texas's of the world.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    Take whatever you think we have, multiply it by 50, 100, 200 times and you will have the Bama's and Texas's of the world.
    And that may be true but we don't need to pay but 5-10 premium players a year and yes we can compete on that level.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    This won?t change a thing.

Desirable HS players get paid a ton under the table. The reason schools with big booster networks win is because they have more to throw at players. OM stacked their booster money on #1 players at their position and it worked, but was obvious and pissed off the money schools.

Now, instead of $800 handshakes and getting a recruits mama a 70k job, that money will be funneled through a car dealership in exchange for a 30 second add.

But the effect is the exact same: more money, more recruits. You?ll just see it now
    Effect is still the same? $1.2M for a player who hasn't played?

vCash
    Guys. They were already getting paid. Many assume the worst. It will be ok I think. Its not going to ruin the sport

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Guys. They were already getting paid. Many assume the worst. It will be ok I think. Its not going to ruin the sport
    Most weren't millionaires... many from the blue bloods will be. This is just the beginning of the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Hypothetical- What happens if Will lights it up this year and Mullen gets a gator donor to come and offer him or any of the key pieces around him that help make it possible. That's the part that scares me. The portal and NIL can't exist together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Hypothetical- What happens if Will lights it up this year and Mullen gets a gator donor to come and offer him or any of the key pieces around him that help make it possible. That's the part that scares me. The portal and NIL can't exist together.
    Ill be honest I dont know enough about it to even say that would be legal to do

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    Makes you miss the old agreement that if you were good at sports you could get "paid" by getting a free ride to a university that many others only dream about.
    Yep. And that "payment" has been steadily increasing over the years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Yep. And that "payment" has been steadily increasing over the years.
    Right! Ole Matt is nostalgic for the 1040's. And I thought I was na?ve. Lolz

vCash
    Yes they have- but now it?s a lot easier for the big boys. They don?t have to try to hide it. We can?t come close to matching any of that. And now it makes it easier for schools in the middle to help their signees. Places like Houston, Memphis, Dallas, Birmingham, etc can generate more advertising dollars than we can.
    This has nothing to do with advertising dollars. Do you think one person on earth will care about the endorsement of a teenager when they need to buy 30 million dollars worth of concrete from USA Ready Mix?

Or a $100 million dollar building from Harbert?

Or $500k worth of yellowwood?

This is about crazy rich people who can spend this kind of money on dinner getting into ego wars. And we don't even have the chips to sit at the table.

vCash
    I think this will eventually lead to (in the next 5-10 years) a minor league for college football and a return to amateur status for college players who play with little to no scholarships.

vCash
    It's over with.

Amateur athletics had a great run. I look forward to seeing the train crash from this mess.