Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Football is over for us and schools like us

vCash
    I'm close to being done with college football anyway. Wish we could just skip to baseball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    Will this allow us to not use tax payer dollars to fund their scholarships? Or are they just going to get to double dip?
    Could do it like Magnum and list them as walk on and give other players scholarships

vCash
    Yeah. Anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together could see this 10 miles away.

College football especially will turn into the most unmanageable shit show surpassed only by the US government.

vCash
    Once the ratings continue to plummet even further and stadiums are half full instead of the current 80% full, maybe the people who make money off cfb will wake up and put corrective measures in place.

vCash
    I'm also eagerly awaiting the first gender discrimination suit, when some "business" gives a football player $10K for an exclusive interview and gives a female softball player $500 for same thing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg View Post
    There's no doubt this will hurt the quality of college footb...uh all college sports. Kids getting paid 6 figures to play for a temporary team until they start their real career? Yeah, why try that hard? Why play every game? You've already got paid. Opt outs will become even more common. Is the value of your NIL due to your sports prowess? Or your twitter following or youtube subscribers? What will increase your following? Playing sports? Or maybe being funny. Maybe it's being controversial. Maybe it's based on your looks.

The actual playing of the sport has been relegated to about 4 or 5 on the priority list. Maybe lower.
    Yep it has. Just like with the rest of the society. Its not about whether you can do the actual job or skill great or based on performance; its based solely on your ability to influence others -- that's the desired "skill" nowadays. Thats why you have people who have absolutely no real or actual talent making millions on instagram and other platforms for doing nothing but pimping a product or talking about themselves. But yet they think they're great business leaders and highly gifted.

I'm expecting players to find a way to celebrate TDs by showing a company's instagram handle on their gloves or something. This whole thing will be a mess.

vCash
    Now the NIL becomes a big factor in recruiting for the upcoming cycle. Kids are going to go where they can get the best deals. All this is just getting started.

Now HS players can do it since it doesn’t matter in college anymore. Some guys will have already been making money. HS transfers will begin to spike. Total shitshow ahead
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Once the ratings continue to plummet even further and stadiums are half full instead of the current 80% full, maybe the people who make money off cfb will wake up and put corrective measures in place.
    That is a pipedream that I am jumping on the bandwagon for, I love college football to much to just wish it to yesteryear.

vCash
    This won?t change a thing.

Desirable HS players get paid a ton under the table. The reason schools with big booster networks win is because they have more to throw at players. OM stacked their booster money on #1 players at their position and it worked, but was obvious and pissed off the money schools.

Now, instead of $800 handshakes and getting a recruits mama a 70k job, that money will be funneled through a car dealership in exchange for a 30 second add.

But the effect is the exact same: more money, more recruits. You?ll just see it now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    Yep it has. Just like with the rest of the society. Its not about whether you can do the actual job or skill great or based on performance; its based solely on your ability to influence others -- that's the desired "skill" nowadays. Thats why you have people who have absolutely no real or actual talent making millions on instagram and other platforms for doing nothing but pimping a product or talking about themselves. But yet they think they're great business leaders and highly gifted.

I'm expecting players to find a way to celebrate TDs by showing a company's instagram handle on their gloves or something. This whole thing will be a mess.
    GOSH! That idea makes we want to barf.

vCash
    Would any of y'all be interested in putting up a couple hundred (or thousand) and having a few guys come sign autographs somewhere in Starkville (or wherever) and them split the money? I figure we could raise 20k easy and let a few guys split it.

vCash
    I can't wait until they start interviewing some of these kids after a big win and they start sounding like a damn NASCAR driver giving thanks and naming all of their sponsors.

vCash
    Well, I got to enjoy watching College football for most of my 70 years. I am just glad that football season coincides with hunting seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCurtain74 View Post
    I can't wait until they start interviewing some of these kids after a big win and they start sounding like a damn NASCAR driver giving thanks and naming all of their sponsors.
    It’s already happening. SECN was interviewing a DE from Kentucky today and asked if there was anybody he needed to mention to help his NiL deals.

vCash
    There's a salary cap in the pros and I will never understand why there isn't in college

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    There's a salary cap in the pros and I will never understand why there isn't in college
    Because there isn't a salary cap on how much Mahomes can receive from sponorship

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    It’s already happening. SECN was interviewing a DE from Kentucky today and asked if there was anybody he needed to mention to help his NiL deals.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    It?s already happening. SECN was interviewing a DE from Kentucky today and asked if there was anybody he needed to mention to help his NiL deals.
    College players have been getting paid for years just under the table...remember Scam newton and albert means. This gives us a chance to legally outbid Aubarn, Bama and ole miss. there are only a handful of players that would demand 1mil to sign. not even A$M has the money to pay top dollar for 70 football players. Just think on the baseball side if we guarantee say 4-6 top pitchers a year to bypass the draft to go to college and still get paid the equivalent of a MLB signing bonus to play at the dude its a win win situation for us and the players. HAIL STATE!

vCash
    Makes you miss the old agreement that if you were good at sports you could get "paid" by getting a free ride to a university that many others only dream about.

vCash
    Yes they have- but now it’s a lot easier for the big boys. They don’t have to try to hide it. We can’t come close to matching any of that. And now it makes it easier for schools in the middle to help their signees. Places like Houston, Memphis, Dallas, Birmingham, etc can generate more advertising dollars than we can.