Thread: Good Hushpuppy Recipe

vCash

Good Hushpuppy Recipe

This is probably a bit out of the norm, for here, and forgive me if I am out of order. I decided I would rather share this recipe here where a few may try it and enjoy it. I got it, from my dad, before he died, and it is so good I decided it would be a shame to possibly let it die with me.

My Dad got this recipe from a small town cafe, in southern Louisiana, in the early 50s, while traveling that territory for work. Whenever in the area, he would stop to eat and kept asking the owner, for the recipe, until one day he finally wore the poor man down. A friend of my Dad used it in a restaurant he opened a few decades later, and all of that family has all long since passed away.

Long ago, I gave the recipe to a salesman while he was in my office. He protested saying he had tried so many that others swore were good, yet were not, and he was done trying anymore. A few weeks later he was back to thank me, saying he had finally found the one he would use forever.

Here is hoping I make just one person happy, with this hushpuppy recipe. And, if you are, please pass it on. Too many good southern recipes die with time, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~

DAD?s HUSHPUPPIES

1 Cup all-purpose flour
    3 Cups plain white cornmeal
    1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
    1 level teaspoon baking soda
    Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
    2 large onions, chopped small
    Buttermilk (if you can get it, use the old fashioned, thick, full fat kind.)

(Note: This will make more than you may think. )

Directions:

Mix all of the dry ingredients together, then stir in onions.

Add enough buttermilk to make the consistency of fairly thick mush, but not too thick or thin. You want to be able to drop by ice teaspoon fulls, pushing it off the spoon with another spoon, working quickly. (He used the long ice teaspoons.) It is really easier than it seems.

Deep fry, in well heated oil or shortening, over medium heat. You want it deep enough for the hushpuppies to be able to float to the top, when dropped in.
    (If you asked Dad how deep the shortening or oil should be, he?d probably tell you at least 4 fingers deep, keeping in mind he had very thick fingers.)

Fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon to a large container lined with several thicknesses of paper towels.

Dad used to cook this in a large cast iron dutch oven outside over a double propane burner. The way he knew if the Crisco shortening was hot enough, he would throw in a small, wooden match, and if it lit, it was ready.

vCash
    I suppose with self-rising flour you could leave out the baking powder and baking soda (it's already in the mix when you buy it).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    I suppose with self-rising flour you could leave out the baking powder and baking soda (it's already in the mix when you buy it).
    The results are totally different, and not nearly as good.

vCash
    Also, do not use corn meal mix. Only as written.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg_Lover View Post
    The results are totally different, and not nearly as good.
    Excellent advice, no doubt.

Banned
    vCash
    Can't believe this post considering I'm in a middle eastern restaurant with falafels on my plate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Can't believe this post considering I'm in a middle eastern restaurant with falafels on my plate.
    And you just can't leave your device alone long enough to have a meal? That's sad.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Close to mine, I add sugar, a big scoop of Mayo, and Coors Light, and I use red onion. If you use a small cookie scoop to dispense batter into oil all puppies will be the same size. If you don?t crowd the grease they will actually flip themselves
    "They live in bizarro world...up is down...yes is no...hot is cold. Now they've determined that the NCAA sends a Letter of Inquiry AFTER an investigation is basically over. Uh...NO. Not how it works." Zv2, Bafoom Motard , 10/12/15

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Drugs Delaney View Post
    Close to mine, I add sugar, a big scoop of Mayo, and Coors Light, and I use red onion. If you use a small cookie scoop to dispense batter into oil all puppies will be the same size. If you don?t crowd the grease they will actually flip themselves

Lol, I do remember, as a small child, being fascinated watching them flip over on their own.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    And you just can't leave your device alone long enough to have a meal? That's sad.
    Was solo. Otherwise you are correct. I hate that shit too.

vCash
    Thanks for the recipe. Do you have a rough estimate of how much salt and pepper to use?

vCash
    I would rather have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketCityDawg View Post
    Thanks for the recipe. Do you have a rough estimate of how much salt and pepper to use?

No, I just did the same as my dad. After I?d mixed the flour & meal together, then added some salt & pepper, I would taste a tiny pinch to gauge if it needed a little more.