Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kopps wins golden spikes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayburn8 View Post
    Going into the post-season, Arkansas had a losing record when Kopps didnt pitch.

No one was more valuable than Kopps was.
    Well that's a self fulfilling stat, because when Arky i down they don't put Kops in. When the game is close or they have a slight lead, the do put him in.

The telling stat would be: W-L record in close when Kopps came in, vs W-L record in games that were close after 5 where Kopps didn't pitch. That would tell you more about how the bullpen would have done without him.

I know they'll have a great O, but honestly it's kinda hard to be scared of Arky last year. They lose their dominant starter and most valuable reliever I've ever seen, and return nobody that's shown they can fill either of those shoes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Well that's a self fulfilling stat, because when Arky i down they don't put Kops in. When the game is close or they have a slight lead, the do put him in.

The telling stat would be: W-L record in close when Kopps came in, vs W-L record in games that were close after 5 where Kopps didn't pitch. That would tell you more about how the bullpen would have done without him.

I know they'll have a great O, but honestly it's kinda hard to be scared of Arky last year. They lose their dominant starter and most valuable reliever I've ever seen, and return nobody that's shown they can fill either of those shoes
    Arkansas is going to be awesome and so are we.

Hogs have a Vanderbilt level crooting class. Players better than Woods that told MLB they wanted to be Hogs, so not drafted but the quality is amazing.

Also the hogs have a history of great Aces and they develop them. The next great one is Wiggins. But even if Wiggins is not awesome, they have other prospects.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    I do have some player hate about this but I blame Todd-4-State for my hate of 24-year-olds with a big, outlier senior season. The Luke Reynolds argument, that is not a good argument against Kopps.

The three finalists were Kopps, Leiter, and Rocker.

(1) If you don't make Omaha, then you should not be a golden spike finalist, for the most part
    (2) There is a reason Cy Young awards go overwhelmingly to starters versus relievers, it's not the same job and the statistics are different
    (3) If you don't do something huge like win a triple crown in the SEC like Rooker, then you should not be a finalist
    (4) National Champion Tanner Allen should be on the finalist list, his freak stat was his batting average versus the SEC, 411...this is UNREAL ... this prolly matches Will Clark* in 1985 for SEC only.

http://a.espncdn.com/sec/baseball/2021/seconly.pdf

Will Clark won the Golden Spikes with a 420 BA and 25 HRs in 1985, I don't know his SEC only stats.
    Sorry!

I could have kicked the ant hill on what the difference was between Luke Reynolds leaving and Landon Jordan leaving but I never have until now!**

Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    You make some good points; not saying Kopps didn't deserve but like the heisman which is best player on best team typically, what is golden spike? These awards are meaningless because there is no standard and bias abounds. TA should have been on the list.
    Yes- the Golden Spikes is essentially the Heisman Trophy of college baseball. Will Clark won it for us and that's a pretty big deal. Tanner Allen absolutely should have been a candidate along with Landon Sims.

There are other awards for best performance that are more position specific for college baseball- Roger Clemens Award for pitchers, Johnny Bench for best catcher- Ed Easley won this for us and Logan Tanner will be a candidate next year, and the Bobby Bragan award for best slugger which is named after a former MSU player. There are also gold glove awards as well for college.