Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Emmert says....

vCash

Mark Emmert says....

For your reading pleasure
    Last edited by CaptainObvious; 07-15-2021 at 08:51 PM.

vCash
    For the obviously link challenged......

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...college-sports

vCash
    NCAA is over. This is like Gorbachev pulling the Tanks and Troops out of Eastern Europe in 1989.

Some places will be like Germany and the Czech Republic and pivot to peace and prosperity. Others will sink into chaos and War Lords like Chechnya, Bosnia, and Afghanistan

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    For your reading pleasure
    You might wanna get a new user name.

vCash
    Hell he got rich off of this. While it needs to be gone it should of been years earlier but people like him had to pad their pockets and now try showing he has morals!

Banned
    vCash
    The NCAA is a dumbass institution if they were unable to win that case

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    For the obviously link challenged......

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...college-sports
    Yeah. Thanks for the assist.

One interesting thing is that he admits that the different levels and different sports have to be separated. I wonder how much agreement he gets from the Group of 5, The FCS, Division 2 and Division 3 Presidents on that opinion?

vCash
    "You can lean back and do nothing and then just wait and see what happens," Emmert said. "Or you can say, 'Look, we're in it. This is a new era.' We need to take advantage of it, pivot as much as we can toward the areas that I was just talking about and and embrace that change rather than fighting it."

Yet he's 'leaning back' and letting the conferences figure it out. What a hipocrite to say that then basically say it's all on the conferences to figure it out. You'd think the NCAA would set some foundation and then watch how each conference does and go with what works and adapt. Seems like instead he wants the NCAA as far away as possible.

In a way I don't blame him. The way things are today someone would probably dig/make up some dirt on him if he didn't do what one group liked/call him a (insert whatever here) and try to ruin him/his career. People take things way too personal these days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    "You can lean back and do nothing and then just wait and see what happens," Emmert said. "Or you can say, 'Look, we're in it. This is a new era.' We need to take advantage of it, pivot as much as we can toward the areas that I was just talking about and and embrace that change rather than fighting it."

Yet he's 'leaning back' and letting the conferences figure it out. What a hipocrite to say that then basically say it's all on the conferences to figure it out. You'd think the NCAA would set some foundation and then watch how each conference does and go with what works and adapt. Seems like instead he wants the NCAA as far away as possible.

In a way I don't blame him. The way things are today someone would probably dig/make up some dirt on him if he didn't do what one group liked/call him a (insert whatever here) and try to ruin him/his career. People take things way too personal these days.
    I love what hes doing. Sitting back and watching it go. It should be a hilarious ride. You are about to see a level of corruption unparalleled in college sports. It will be a magnificent train wreck and in the end you will see a BUNCH of sports programs suffer and scholarships dry up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Yeah. Thanks for the assist.

One interesting thing is that he admits that the different levels and different sports have to be separated. I wonder how much agreement he gets from the Group of 5, The FCS, Division 2 and Division 3 Presidents on that opinion?

Fixed...

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    I predict that Liberty University will win a Football National Championship under Hugh Freeze within 5 years......LU about to make SMU look like peewee football 👀

vCash
    "the bare minimum" wow.

vCash
    the NCAA"s NIL proposal was an attempt to "prevent from getting sued". Lawyers....

vCash
    Seems a lot of people don't quite realize that the NCAA is just an organized front for university President's and AD's. They are the bad guy face but don't really have any power that isn't given to them by the actual decision makers behind the scenes.

The NCAA model worked in the past but the spread between SEC college football and women's MEAC hockey (for example) is just too great now. There are too many varied interests and needs. Football alone is its own animal and the SEC within that is big enough to be completely autonomous. Covid plus the NIL just made it even more abundantly clear that a drastic change has to happen to give each sport the flexibility it needs to survive in the current landscape.

They guy just said out loud what is already abundantly clear. If I was running an organization that is powerless but is perceived to have some sort of power and is constantly getting sued for it, I would say the same thing as he has... Get us the hell out of this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Westdawg View Post
    I predict that Liberty University will win a Football National Championship under Hugh Freeze within 5 years......LU about to make SMU look like peewee football ��
    Didn't SMU have a crap ton of oil money back then?

Hugh might be back at a P5 program before too long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Didn't SMU have a crap ton of oil money back then?

Hugh might be back at a P5 program before too long.
    Seems I read that Liberty has a lot of money also. It pays to be an entity that doesn't pay taxes. If you look at their facilities, they are on par with P5 schools already. They just have a smaller enrollment so don't need a big stadium.

Banned
    vCash
    What's the difference between the NFL preventing the Chiefs from doubling Mahomes' salary vs the NCAA putting caps on NIL? A wealthy Canes fan has already offered
    $500 a month for all Cane football players thru Bring Back the U and using his MMA training facility bidness he owns for the advertising. I think that soon there will be those types of organizations on campuses everywhere replacing bags of cash with endorsement contracts for croots and players. I also think that every player on a team making the same will cause problems and there will be players jealous of those making much more if the true value is put in place. A fork in the road with no good option?

I think this will turn out to be kinda the same as boosters getting players "jobs". Worked with a guy who was a standout starter in TX (Big 10). He got $5K per month for a "job" and lived rent free in a VERY nice off campus Condo. Was offered 5K a month by another school in the Big East. He said not all players got that. He was an honest, Christian, husband and father. We went to lunch together a lot and embarassed me on our first time because I forgot to say grace as he said a quick silent prayer.

Serious question, did the NCAA actually say this was an attempt to keep booster money out of the equation? Wanted to prevent "Bring Back The U's" from popping up? I think River City nailed it too in this thread when saying the NCAA is nothing more than an organization run by the Blue Bloods and based on the lawsuits, can't blame those who run the NCAA for saying just 17 it at this point.

vCash
    Does the NCAA make money off football? They don't control play off or bowl games. They don't control TV contracts. They probably should have washed their hands of it years ago.

vCash
    You can lean back and do nothing and then just wait and see what happens," Emmert said. "Or you can say, 'Look, we're in it. This is a new era.' We need to take advantage of it, pivot as much as we can toward the areas that I was just talking about and and embrace that change rather than fighting it."

The real thing they are worried about. Keeping their hands in the cookie jar.

vCash
    What?s the solution? Everyone can bitch and moan. What are the steps to a collegiate league in major sports and what are the detriments?

The big schools will NOT go down easily. Too much money involved and they all have more than the rest.

What happens to the ?non-revenue? producing a sports? How does our society continue to provide athletic scholarships for those sports, so they have the education opportunities. Sounds stupid saying that, but that?s the reality.

Honestly, non-revenue sports, that don?t provide ?their own way? to academic institutions, should not obtain scholarships. Like those of us less academically gifted. If hey want to continue to play sports, then pay your way u less you have the grades. Male or female.

These are academic institutions.

Now. I?m not in agreement with the above, but the rabbit hole is very deep.