Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defending Up Tempo Offenses

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I just want equal rules for both sides of the ball.

So You approve of a setup where only the offense may determine when substitutions are allowed in a sport? In an era of player safety? That is the dumbest rule in sports, and I believe it is the only sport that has such a rule.
    If I run out on 1st & 10 with personnel & keep that same personnel on the field the entire time how do I have an advantage? You saw the personnel I came out with & countered it. If your desired 11 can't stop mine that sounds like a coaching issue not safety issue.

Also you're acting like uptempo offenses are running 15-20 play drives. They're not. Again if your defense can't stay on the field 7-8 plays sound like a coaching issue not safety issue. Also if you want to substitute get a stop. Teams usually go fast after 1st downs. STOP SOMEBODY!!
    Last edited by Ifyouonlyknew; 07-14-2021 at 08:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Sound like a lot of bitching. You don't want teams to play fast here's an idea.. stop them!! 3 & outs are really fast. I wish we would play fast. It helps offset a talent advantage by the other team.
    No defense is stopping a really play fast offense that's talented and fundamentally sound.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    If I run out on 1st & 10 with personnel & keep that same personnel on the field the entire time how do I have an advantage? You saw the personnel I came out with & countered it. If your desired 11 can't stop mine that sounds like a coaching issue not safety issue.

Also you're acting like uptempo offenses are running 15-20 play drives. They're not. Again if your defense can't stay on the field 7-8 plays sound like a coaching issue not safety issue. Also if you want to substitute get a stop. Teams usually go fast after 1st downs. STOP SOMEBODY!!
    My desired 11 on one part of the field may not be my desired 11 on every part of the field. Why should only the offense be allowed to dictate when either team may substitute fatigued players?

And Uptempo offenses go on double digit play drives every Saturday. You know that. The argument that, "if you want to be allowed to substitute players then you just need to play better, i.e., get a stop" is ridiculous.

Rules were changed to benefit the offense in this area several years ago. Until that is addressed, or a new rule allowing defenses to substitute after a first down is implemented, my counter to that would be to hit the ground after every first down.

vCash
    What I hate even more than this, is a No-huddle offense that uses the entire play clock! What the heck! Just huddle and shuttle a receiver in with the next play/audible. It will save time for gosh sakes.