Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defending Up Tempo Offenses

vCash

Defending Up Tempo Offenses

Why do defenses not hit the ground with a cramp or fatigue after every play? The rules explicitly allow for it, and defenses do it every so often (especially in the red zone), so why would a defense not do it after every play? It would end offenses premised on tempo.

vCash
    Double Post
    Last edited by BiscuitEater; 07-11-2021 at 06:11 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Why do defenses not hit the ground with a cramp or fatigue after every play? The rules explicitly allow for it, and defenses do it every so often (especially in the red zone), so why would a defense not do it after every play? It would end offenses premised on tempo.
    After the first 'flop,' EVERYONE knows what's going on.

It's cheating! And, it only slows down the offense for a short time while they drag the flopper's ass off the field!

Rule is designed to prevent real injury. Hopefully, teams that try this only get away with it once!
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    After the first 'flop,' EVERYONE knows what's going on.

It's cheating! And, it only slows down the offense for a short time while they drag the flopper's ass off the field!

Rule is designed to prevent real injury. Hopefully, teams that try this only get away with it once!
    How is it cheating if it's allowed by the rules?

Most injuries occur when fatigued, so if the rule "is designed to prevent real injury," then stopping tempo aligns with that purpose well.

vCash
    How is it cheating if it's allowed by the rules.
    The rule is for REAL cramps and fatigue NOT fake 'flopping!' Thankfully, most Refs can tell a 'flop!'

Count on losing a TO after the second flop! Count on 'an unsportsmanlike' or 'delay of game' 15 yard penalty after the TOs are gone!

vCash
    The rule is for REAL cramps and fatigue NOT fake 'flopping!' Thankfully, most Refs can tell a 'flop!'

Count on losing a TO after the second flop! Count on 'an unsportsmanlike' or 'delay of game' 15 yard penalty after the TOs are gone!
    Yep, discernment - there is right and almost right. This is correct take on it.

vCash

There is no rule that allows for loss of a timeout if a ref thinks you are faking. In fact, refs are instructed not to make a judgement call on whether they believe a player is faking. It was addressed at the convention last year and decided no rule would be implemented.

I heard a cbs rules expert talking about this issue today. He said the protocol was to stop the game and get the player off the field regardless of whether or not they believe he is faking.

Bigger picture, I'm not taking about faking injuries. I'm talking about fatigue. 2 straight plays of hurry up, hit the ground. My view is unless there is a rule against it, I would do it until there is a rule that allows defenses to substitute mid possession. It is asinine that in an era of player safety, only the offense is allowed to determine when substitutions may occur.

vCash
    You seriously think that has a player 'flopping' every other play is NOT going to be flagged is beyond belief! Each stoppage takes 2-3 minutes .. average of 73 plays a game .. add 3 minutes/flop.. and you add 1.5 to 2.0 hours per game (specially when commercials are factored in)

Yea, I DON'T think that is going to float!

vCash
    You seriously think that has a player 'flopping' every other play is NOT going to be flagged is beyond belief! Each stoppage takes 2-3 minutes .. average of 73 plays a game .. add 3 minutes/flop.. and you add 1.5 to 2.0 hours per game (specially when commercials are factored in)

Yea, I DON'T think that is going to float!
    They can't flag a team even if they thought he was faking. This isn't basketball where a rule is established for flopping.

vCash
    There is no rule that allows for loss of a timeout if a ref thinks you are faking. In fact, refs are instructed not to make a judgement call on whether they believe a player is faking. It was addressed at the convention last year and decided no rule would be implemented.

I heard a cbs rules expert talking about this issue today. He said the protocol was to stop the game and get the player off the field regardless of whether or not they believe he is faking.

Bigger picture, I'm not taking about faking injuries. I'm talking about fatigue. 2 straight plays of hurry up, hit the ground. My view is unless there is a rule against it, I would do it until there is a rule that allows defenses to substitute mid possession. It is asinine that in an era of player safety, only the offense is allowed to determine when substitutions may occur.
    If the defense is gassed like your referring it isn't faking. Players just haven't been trained that there is a level of fatigue where you stop. Coaches from day 1 teach mental toughness and pushing through. However, I honestly think it's smart to take a knee or lay on the ground until help arrives. You're probably not going to make it to the sideline due the offense will snap the ball. That player needs to wait on help to come ala training staff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    If the defense is gassed like your referring it isn't faking. Players just haven't been trained that there is a level of fatigue where you stop. Coaches from day 1 teach mental toughness and pushing through. However, I honestly think it's smart to take a knee or lay on the ground until help arrives. You're probably not going to make it to the sideline due the offense will snap the ball. That player needs to wait on help to come ala training staff.
    Exactly. This is the way to combat the most ridiculous rule in sports (only the offense is allowed to decide when either team may substitute players). Lay on the ground.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    They shouldn't let you snap the ball with less than 17 seconds on the ball, unless it is within 2 minutes of the end of the game or you are in the redzone.
    Downvotes_Hype

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Exactly. This is the way to combat the most ridiculous rule in sports (only the offense is allowed to decide when either team may substitute players). Lay on the ground.
    Maybe if the head coach steps on the field within 5 seconds of a tackle, they can and have to substitute immediately. That would delay the snap 10 seconds, but I also believe it should stop the game clock for 10 seconds as well.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I think up temp offense is dangerous. Defensive players are more subject to injuries.

vCash
    There is no way to tell if someone is really cramping or feeling something "wrong" in their chest or whatever. It's crazy teams don't use it more often. There isn't a rule against having a cramp. Soon a coach will exploit it and he'll get credit for killing up tempo offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Maybe if the head coach steps on the field within 5 seconds of a tackle, they can and have to substitute immediately. That would delay the snap 10 seconds, but I also believe it should stop the game clock for 10 seconds as well.
    I think a simple rule like, defense has the opportunity to substitute after a first down. That would mean the most possible plays a defense could play without being able to substitute is 4.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I think up temp offense is dangerous. Defensive players are more subject to injuries.
    Truth, especially in the South with humidity. It shouldn't be allowed in high school imo. Those kids are no way in shape to deal with it.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Sound like a lot of bitching. You don't want teams to play fast here's an idea.. stop them!! 3 & outs are really fast. I wish we would play fast. It helps offset a talent advantage by the other team.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Sound like a lot of bitching. You don't want teams to play fast here's an idea.. stop them!! 3 & outs are really fast. I wish we would play fast. It helps offset a talent advantage by the other team.
    repped and thanks for checking in sir

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    I just want equal rules for both sides of the ball.

So You approve of a setup where only the offense may determine when substitutions are allowed in a sport? In an era of player safety? That is the dumbest rule in sports, and I believe it is the only sport that has such a rule.
    Last edited by confucius say; 07-14-2021 at 05:59 PM.