Thread: I'm bored and on day 8 of a headache so long term weather peek

vCash

I'm bored and on day 8 of a headache so long term weather peek

We have officially been placed on a La Ni?a watch for this winter. Typically, that can mean a more active fall and following spring severe weather season and potentially an uptick in tropical activity. Good for the mentally unstable storm chaser but bad for everybody else. The University of Colorado has increased their tropical forecast for this season. I've yet to figure out why the hell a school in CO forecasts tropical systems instead of the U of Miami or similar but that's neither here nor there. So just something to tuck away as you go through summer wearing your natty gear and drinking your beverages of choice. Now I'm back to trying to surf the internet on this rocking one bar of LTE because Cspire 17ing sucks three miles west of Starkville.

vCash
    That guy at Colorado State always increases his "forecasts" when Grant money is hanging in the air. Most outlets don't use him anymore

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    We have officially been placed on a La Ni?a watch for this winter. Typically, that can mean a more active fall and following spring severe weather season and potentially an uptick in tropical activity. Good for the mentally unstable storm chaser but bad for everybody else. The University of Colorado has increased their tropical forecast for this season. I've yet to figure out why the hell a school in CO forecasts tropical systems instead of the U of Miami or similar but that's neither here nor there. So just something to tuck away as you go through summer wearing your natty gear and drinking your beverages of choice. Now I'm back to trying to surf the internet on this rocking one bar of LTE because Cspire 17ing sucks three miles west of Starkville.
    Cspire coverage sucks everywhere now. I don't know what happened but they've declined steadily since taking over Cellular South. They still have fantastic customer service and that's why I'm still with them.

Anyway....... I've always thought the same about Colorado being the place that predicts tropical weather. Odd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Cspire coverage sucks everywhere now. I don't know what happened but they've declined steadily since taking over Cellular South. They still have fantastic customer service and that's why I'm still with them.

Anyway....... I've always thought the same about Colorado being the place that predicts tropical weather. Odd.
    So you've noticed it too? I hardly had any dead spots when they were cell south, but now it's terrible and as much as I travel it sucks.

vCash
    Migraines? Do you have high blood pressure? Once I found the right blood pressure meds my migraines have gone away.

vCash
    My guess is bc CO is higher elevation so less likely to be flooded/damaged in a coastal storm

vCash
    Cellular South and C Spire are the same company. It's actually Cellular South dba C Spire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    So you've noticed it too? I hardly had any dead spots when they were cell south, but now it's terrible and as much as I travel it sucks.
    Oh yea. We travel a lot too and the coverage is garbage compared to what it used to be. I've driven hours across Texas without a signal and see towers all along the way. The people that live there obviously have cell phones but cspire doesn't work there. That's just one of many examples.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Chaser View Post
    Cellular South and C Spire are the same company. It's actually Cellular South dba C Spire.
    All I know is that it changed from cellular south to cspire one day and it's went downhill since. It's a shell of its old self.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Oh yea. We travel a lot too and the coverage is garbage compared to what it used to be. I've driven hours across Texas without a signal and see towers all along the way. The people that live there obviously have cell phones but cspire doesn't work there. That's just one of many examples.
    Yeah I can be looking at towers and have no signal. It wasn't that way when they were cell south and just a regional carrier but they went national as c spire and hasn't been the same.

vCash
    We had Cellular South when they went to C-Spire. We noticed the decline in signal but lived with it until on vacation in Florida my wife didn't have enough signal to send a text while my son was watching videos on his Verizon prepaid phone. She swapped us as soon as we got home and we haven't regretted it yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingDawg View Post
    Migraines? Do you have high blood pressure? Once I found the right blood pressure meds my migraines have gone away.
    Not sure if migraine or not. I know they're stress/tension induced.

vCash
    I also live in the country, and had trouble for years with reception, until a friend, in Tupelo, told me about Straight Talk. With my previous T-Mobile service, as soon as I turned off the road, into the driveway, the service completely dropped. I could live with that as long as we had a landline, but when we got rid of it, I had to find something reliable for my location.
    When I switched to Straight Talk, I did it at my local Walmart, but I am not sure if that is still the case. Know they have a website. When I purchased my last phone, it was from them online. Once it arrived, I easily activated it through their website, no problem. .
    Straight Talk pings off the nearest, strongest tower signal. I?ve found wherever I am it usually pings off Verizon or AT&T and at home it?s Verizon. I?ve yet to have a problem with dead zones, but I don?t travel often, either, so maybe someone else could speak to that.
    I?ve been with them since 2016, and their customer service has been decent. I haven?t had any problems.
    The cost is reasonable @ &65/mo. for unlimited data, talk, & text.
    I am not sure if all area?s reception and service is as good as mine, but I thought I would mention it.

vCash
    A few things to explain here:
    1. Cspire and Cellular South are the same company (as already mentioned). They just changed names.

2. In the past, since they are a "regional" carrier Cspire had a roaming agreement with Verizon. If you got outside of their footprint (Mississippi/South Alabama/Panhandle of FL) you would still show Cspire as signal, but you were actually roaming on Verizon network. When that expired, they made an agreement with Sprint. That is when the service took a hit. (It was a CDMA carrier deal. Now that CMDA is expiring and they are going to all LTE and 5G, it may get better if they change to another carrier agreement.)

3. Straight Talk does not "ping" off strongest carrier. (Whatever SIM card you have is what network you are on.) They are a MVNO that will choose what carrier network you will be a part of when you sign up based on location or if you BYOD. They have agreements with the 4 largest carriers, but You will be on that carrier 100% of the time(no such thing as network hopping unless you have GoogleFI.) Most folks are put in the Verizon network, but we have strong AT&T in MS also. (If you want to know what carrier network you are in you can message them on their website and they will tell you what carrier you use.)

4. SVD! My man! I trust your weather advise more than my weather apps or local weather folks. Keep fighting the good fight!

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    AT&T isn't much better. I've got one bar of signal in west central Mississippi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Not sure if migraine or not. I know they're stress/tension induced.
    Yes, quite a bit of excitement lately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baddmann View Post
    A few things to explain here:
    1. Cspire and Cellular South are the same company (as already mentioned). They just changed names.

2. In the past, since they are a "regional" carrier Cspire had a roaming agreement with Verizon. If you got outside of their footprint (Mississippi/South Alabama/Panhandle of FL) you would still show Cspire as signal, but you were actually roaming on Verizon network. When that expired, they made an agreement with Sprint. That is when the service took a hit. (It was a CDMA carrier deal. Now that CMDA is expiring and they are going to all LTE and 5G, it may get better if they change to another carrier agreement.)

3. Straight Talk does not "ping" off strongest carrier. (Whatever SIM card you have is what network you are on.) They are a MVNO that will choose what carrier network you will be a part of when you sign up based on location or if you BYOD. They have agreements with the 4 largest carriers, but You will be on that carrier 100% of the time(no such thing as network hopping unless you have GoogleFI.) Most folks are put in the Verizon network, but we have strong AT&T in MS also. (If you want to know what carrier network you are in you can message them on their website and they will tell you what carrier you use.)

4. SVD! My man! I trust your weather advise more than my weather apps or local weather folks. Keep fighting the good fight!
    Thank you for the explanation. We all know it's the same company but we say it isn't because it has sucked since the name change. Now we understand why, but we'll continue to say "it's not the same".
    I guess I'll have to call them so they can explain to me in more detail or give me options.

vCash
    Here is my Houston area forecast.....It's going to be hot as hail today and at some point it's going to rain it's ass off. Guaranteed. Most likely more than once. For tomorrow's forecast, read this post again.

vCash
    I nailed it. I was outside sweating my butt off working on the motor home and the bottom fell out. Rinse and repeat every day multiple times a day! Lol