Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't shoot the messenger and no idea if it is true

vCash
    There's always going to be a dick swinging contest about how people aren't vaccinated, feel just fine, and ain't scared of covid. At the end of the day the risk is still low to get very sick or die, but some people will, especially in less vaccinated areas. Data seems to be supporting this. It probably won't affect you personally, but I never understand how it's some proud rallying call.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    There's always going to be a dick swinging contest about how people aren't vaccinated, feel just fine, and ain't scared of covid. At the end of the day the risk is still low to get very sick or die, but some people will, especially in less vaccinated areas. Data seems to be supporting this. It probably won't affect you personally, but I never understand how it's some proud rallying call.
    I would think it's mostly bc a considerable portion of the vaccinated call them stupid, which puts them on the defensive.

If you're low risk, I wouldn't get it either. If you're medium to high risk, yeah sure, get it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I would think it's mostly bc a considerable portion of the vaccinated call them stupid, which puts them on the defensive.

If you're low risk, I wouldn't get it either. If you're medium to high risk, yeah sure, get it.
    This is a big factor in it. People who aren't vaxxed see people who are posting their vaccination cards all over social media and, whether it's meant this way or not, they take it as virtue signaling. So in response you see people puff their chest about how their not vaxxed and nothing is going to happen to them. Personally, I'm not vaxxed because I'm low risk and don't see a need for it. My family is about 75/25 vaxxed to unvaxxed. However, it's not a contentious issue. No one has said anything other than when they were getting it.

vCash

I see the opposite. People at work telling me I'm crazy for getting the vaccine. They laugh about it.
    My unvaccinated extremely healthy fitness junkie 21 year old just fought through it. It was the sickest he's ever been in his life. Me and my wife were with him constantly and all up in his space before we found out for certain it was COVID. Neither of us got sick. We're both vaccinated.

vCash
    You mean an event where 25k met daily for two weeks resulted in a sickness outbreak? I bet there was a stomach bug with a group and a flu bug with a group as well. There was also probably a car wreck for some family to or from the event at some point.
    We have to get a grip...

vCash

I get that's some of human nature to respond that way. It sucks in general because the vaccine obviously is helping, and this is going to make some people never get it "just because." I'm for people making their own choice, and I think by now there's plenty of data to make an informed instead of emotional choice.

vCash
    Guess you might need a 3rd shot soon...
    So, they flat out lied when they said TWO shots would protect you. Not me .. especially when the drug companies have 'zero' liability and make big bucks promoting them.

Why not FOUR shots?
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    So, they flat out lied when they said TWO shots would protect you. Not me .. especially when the drug companies have 'zero' liability and make big bucks promoting them.

Why not FOUR shots?
    That's unfortunately where it's headed. Like others have stated it seems the endgame is for this to be like a flu shot and you have to get it every year.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 07-09-2021 at 08:34 AM.

vCash
    I get that's some of human nature to respond that way. It sucks in general because the vaccine obviously is helping, and this is going to make some people never get it "just because." I'm for people making their own choice, and I think by now there's plenty of data to make an informed instead of emotional choice.
    I agree with you that there is plenty of data to support that the vaccine works in helping to deter COVID - I'm not sure many would even make an argument to the contrary. However, we haven't had enough time to determine what the long term effects of the vaccine might be (or COVID for that matter). I choose not to get the vaccine because I am healthy, under 40 yrs old and don't have any underlying issues. Additionally, all of my grandparents have passed away and there are no elderly or sick people in my life that I come in contact with regularly. It seems that symptoms of COVID for people in my demographic are generally very mild and turn out to be more of a nuisance than a crippling illness. If it is a deal where people of certain blood types are affected differently, well, my dad (he and I are same blood type) had it and was asymptomatic. Combine all of that and, for me, the benefits of the vaccine don't outweigh my irrational fear of needles.
    Last edited by SouthMSDog; 07-09-2021 at 08:45 AM.

vCash
    I'm fully vaccinated, but I respect the decision for those who aren't. That's completely up to you and it should be.

However, don't get mad or upset if a variant causes an outbreak and effects our lives and possibly MSU sports again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthMSDog View Post
    I agree with you that there is plenty of data to support that the vaccine works in helping to deter COVID - I'm not sure many would even make an argument to the contrary. However, we haven't had enough time to determine what the long term effects of the vaccine might be (or COVID for that matter). I choose not to get the vaccine because I am healthy, under 40 yrs old and don't have any underlying issues. Additionally, all of my grandparents have passed away and there are no elderly or sick people in my life that I come in contact with regularly. It seems that symptoms of COVID for people in my demographic are generally very mild and turn out to be more of a nuisance than a crippling illness. If it is a deal where people of certain blood types are affected differently, well, my dad (he and I are same blood type) had it and was asymptomatic. Combine all of that and, for me, the benefits of the vaccine don't outweigh my irrational fear of needles.
    I hear you. Again it's a personal choice. To me the long term risks of the vaccine are not any less clear than long term risks of even a mild covid case itself. Overall risk of long term bad things is low we have to assume to this point, but we do lack data. The vaccine is really the reason we were able to pack out Omaha to begin with. I hope it holds over time and enough people have gotten it to keep this thing at low levels.

vCash
    The 3rd shot is confusing me. It's being reported that the vaccine is highly effective, and the numbers support that. It's also being reported that the vaccine is highly effective against the delta variant. What is the 3rd booster for?

Archimedes
    vCash
    I hear you. Again it's a personal choice. To me the long term risks of the vaccine are not any less clear than long term risks of even a mild covid case itself. Overall risk of long term bad things is low we have to assume to this point, but we do lack data. The vaccine is really the reason we were able to pack out Omaha to begin with. I hope it holds over time and enough people have gotten it to keep this thing at low levels.
    Unfortunately we are starting to see a lot more double infections and break thru cases with Delta. Apparently it?s affecting a different spike protein than original covid. The onset is a lot quicker and the downturn is a lot quicker as well. Time will tell.

vCash
    The 3rd shot is confusing me. It's being reported that the vaccine is highly effective, and the numbers support that. It's also being reported that the vaccine is highly effective against the delta variant. What is the 3rd booster for?
    According to the article I read this morning (NBC news) the booster shot is being developed as an ?in case needed? thing and as of right now the CDC and every other health agency is saying it?s not required and that if you are fully vaccinated then you are protected from the Delta variant. It?s better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. That?s good planning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    You mean an event where 25k met daily for two weeks resulted in a sickness outbreak? I bet there was a stomach bug with a group and a flu bug with a group as well. There was also probably a car wreck for some family to or from the event at some point.
    We have to get a grip...
    Are you really trying to compare Covid with the stomach bug?
    How many people do you know that have died or been hospitalized in the last 18 months from the stomach bug?
    Answer that and then ask yourself how many people you know that have died or been hospitalized with Covid.
    I agree though that some people need to get a grip on reality. Also as I said previously, I?m certainly no advocate for shutting the world down again or anything of the sort but it doesn?t mean that I don?t see the reality of what Covid is
    my cowbell is louder than yours

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I'm fully vaccinated, but I respect the decision for those who aren't. That's completely up to you and it should be.

However, don't get mad or upset if a variant causes an outbreak and effects our lives and possibly MSU sports again.
    I agree 100% with the first part. I chose to get vaccinated, and I respect the right of each person to make that choice for himself or herself.

I do not think that we should ever return to shutdowns or restrictions, though. We have a tool at our disposal that allows people to protect themselves if they so choose?the vaccine. I say let things be fully open and let the chips fall where they may. Those who choose to remain unvaccinated know the risks and have accepted them. That is their choice.
    Last edited by TigerMomofaDawg; 07-09-2021 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Typos

vCash
    Cigarettes have killed a lot more people than Covid ever will, but people still smoke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Cigarettes have killed a lot more people than Covid ever will, but people still smoke.
    so what you're saying is, people do dumb stuff that negatively affects their health???
    such as smoking. such as refusing to take a vaccine despite the fact that it appears to be a much better option that dying from covid...
    We know smoking is bad and will likely eventually kill you. We know Covid can kill you. People make bad health decisions every single day.
    Last edited by RC3; 07-09-2021 at 10:18 AM.
    my cowbell is louder than yours

vCash
    3 billion people have been given the vaccine with virtually no problems at all yet you choose to not get vaccinated because of possible side effects? While knowing that millions of people have died and millions of more lives ruined from the side effects of covid. I can not wrap my head around this. I'm not a democrat. I'm an ER physician that has seen the horrors of covid. I honestly don't care if you get vaccinated or not but don't bury your head in the sand and think this is a "never let a crisis go to waste" type event. Complete ignorance.

vCash
    Total and complete ignorance. COVID has killed over 600k Americans and 4 million worldwide yet people continue to avoid taking the vaccine. All the while the infection rate continues to climb in our state. Over 1000 new cases in the past three days. If your pride is standing between you and taking the vaccine, take the shot and don?t tell anyone you did. After the smoke clears, your loved ones will thank you.