Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miami football players about to get paid

vCash

Miami football players about to get paid

Each player on scholarship would receive $500 per month.

Things are fixing to get out of hand for college athletes. I'm thinking the rich about to get really rich and it's gonna be some bitching about some players getting more than others. Jealous happens all the time in Pro Sports and with the portal thingy imagine how the "blue collars" will approach certain players in the "free market era"!

I'm not for this, just saying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post

Things are fixing to get out of hand for college athletes. I'm thinking the rich about to get really rich and it's gonna be some bitching about some players getting more than others. Jealous happens all the time in Pro Sports and with the portal thingy imagine how the "blue collars" will approach certain players in the "free market era"!

Thing is many schools have way more money than Bama, Clemson, & Ohio State.

Texas A&M, Texas, Stanford, Michigan, etc can obliterate them
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Big markets have a huge advantage, so does the so called Power 5 Conferences. Not sure schools like Southern Miss will be able to compete in Division one.
    Not sure how the "basketball schools only" will compete, probably well. Maybe in baseball we will do well in this NIL ruling but again I'm not for it.

vCash
    I don’t see how this is good for college sports.

vCash
    College football will be unwatchable in less than 5 years without modifications to the current NIL rules. College Basketball within 3. Baseball within 10. Unless there is a limit placed somewhere, the rich WILL become richer.

vCash
    I'm not overly knowledgeable on this NIL thing. Is the $100 handshake or putting some tires on hold still a violation?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    I'm not overly knowledgeable on this NIL thing. Is the $100 handshake or putting some tires on hold still a violation?
    Yes, but giving $100 to the tire place & letting the tire place ask an athlete to tweet out an endorsement of the tire place before handing him the $100 & new tires, is not a violation any longer
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

Stanford Billionaires are prolly too busy buying the world's farmland, managing mass media, orchestrating regime changes, and firming-up geopolitical supremacy to fiddle with college football.

Paying football players might stay the domain of Night-Club operators, Auto Dealers, CBD Dispensary's, Taco Bell Franchise owners, LaVar Ball, Pain-Management Doctors, Title Loan operators, and Personal Injury Lawyers. In other words, OM probably has the correct alumni base to be successful in the new world.

vCash
    Yes, but giving $100 to the tire place & letting the tire place ask an athlete to tweet out an endorsement of the tire place before handing him the $100 & new tires, is not a violation any longer
    Crazy!!!

vCash

Ivy League schools bout to ball**

vCash
    I hate everything about NIL in this context, mostly because you get exploitation of kids and young adults who for the most part don't know any better. A lot of these kids have never seen this kind of money and it can do way more harm than good.

I get it though and I get why folks are pushing for it. But I'm just trying to think back to how some of my former students might have handled this kind of money coming directly to them and for some of them, a lot more bad than good would occur.

I just have a bad feeling that this is going to end poorly for us. I may be out of the loop but I haven't seen anything come across social media yet for any of our football players. And that's where all this really matters. Football. And can we provide an atmosphere conducive to getting paid in Starkville. And it concerns me that we can't at the level others can in conference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    There is nothing good about this. People are stupid about the whole thing.

vCash
    Like I said before pandoras box is open and the wild wild west.

vCash

Uh. State players were getting more than that already. Relax

vCash

I see this becoming a replacement for the bulldog club. Some new organization is spun up that is indirectly tied to the university that solicits donations so they can advertise something. The organization then pays the player. The net sum of this is that it hurts us because we don't have the rich alumni base others do and also are not located in a big market.

Banned
    vCash
    So fans pool money together then give it To a business that gets free advertising? How is this different than bag men?

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    It really has nothing to do with whether or not it is good for college sports. It has everything to do with the rights of said players. Notice that because college sports took a shit path the second open recruiting began with players. That was long time ago, but it started the issues that still persisted a month ago. Players in demand, just like all people in the world, can demand higher pay. That simple attempt at higher pay is a right in a capitalist society. People get paid what they negotiate and until last week, college players had zero rights to negotiate, unlike literally every other single person on campus.

Is it terrible for college sports, absolutely. Is it terrible for schools, absolutely. Is it fair on the open market, absolutely.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    So fans pool money together then give it To a business that gets free advertising? How is this different than bag men?
    Are you under the impression that the old rules still apply?
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    My new question is this, does each player get a cut of the SEC network now? Does each player deserve money for promotional items put out by the university. Their likeness is essentially copyrighted now. IF I were the QB at Oklahoma, I would be asking these questions about ESPN's rights to make money off my likeness.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Ivy League schools bout to ball**
    If they relax their entrance requirements for football, yes they could.
    Downvotes_Hype