Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: So... This NIL Thing Ain't Gonna Work

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    That is why there are antitrust laws to keep from one entity from controlling people, a market, etc. There would be oppression is one group had too much power.
    You mean like the NCAA?

Look, if you want to make the argument that this is the beginning of the end of college football as we know it, then do that. But stop trying to make this an issue of morality. There is absolutely nothing immoral about paying football players.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwolf View Post
    You mean like the NCAA?

Look, if you want to make the argument that this is the beginning of the end of college football as we know it, then do that. But stop trying to make this an issue of morality. There is absolutely nothing immoral about paying football players.
    Keeping it "under the table" gave / gives us a chance because boosters have to show a level of discretion despite what others think how high or low that level has to be. I get it, the NCAA has not policed the worst offenders based on their recent rulings like Ole Miss' "LOI Control" meant nothing to them.

Keeping it illegal means freshmen will have to rely on Bamer type Cars, this ruling means they can now have Ferarries. Keeping it illegal creates a salary cap so to speak. Why do you want STATE competing with boosters who have 10 X our money with no limits? I wouldn't mind this new ruling if there were caps on the $. I don't think there is one and it looks like a killer for schools like STATE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Keeping it "under the table" gave / gives us a chance because boosters have to show a level of discretion despite what others think how high or low that level has to be. I get it, the NCAA has not policed the worst offenders based on their recent rulings like Ole Miss' "LOI Control" meant nothing to them.

Keeping it illegal means freshmen will have to rely on Bamer type Cars, this ruling means they can now have Ferarries. Keeping it illegal creates a salary cap so to speak. Why do you want STATE competing with boosters who have 10 X our money with no limits? I wouldn't mind this new ruling if there were caps on the $. I don't think there is one and it looks like a killer for schools like STATE.
    I never said I wanted this. I just said that it isn't immoral.

I actually tend to agree that this is going to be detrimental to college football long term. I think it is going to shine a big spotlight on the lack of parity and unless drastic changes are made to at least keep the illusion of a somewhat level playing field, most people will lose interest.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwolf View Post
    I never said I wanted this. I just said that it isn't immoral.

I actually tend to agree that this is going to be detrimental to college football long term. I think it is going to shine a big spotlight on the lack of parity and unless drastic changes are made to at least keep the illusion of a somewhat level playing field, most people will lose interest.
    agreed. but keep in mind, I don't think I discussed the morality of the ruling. Professional sports put salary caps in place for a reason which is to protect parity. These college players produce a TON of money, no doubt and cutting them in would not be immoral IMO. We don't need to be in bidding wars for local 4-5 Star Talent from teams like Syracuse because they are allowed to publicly promise tons of almost unlimited money on the T.V. Screen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    but keep in mind, I don't think I discussed the morality of the ruling.
    I don't see where you did either....which is why I quoted R2Dawg in my initial post.

2nd Half Playcaller
    vCash
    The only good to come out of this is this will be the end to the NCAA. I see a storm coming and the big 6 will form their own alliance and rules.