Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So... This NIL Thing Ain't Gonna Work

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    It has to be done through a company. And there is a legal sheet thats only a page long has to be filled out.
    What has been the interest level from our boosters/donors thus far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    They already recruit "better" than us, and yet they've been to, what, 5* bowls over the last 11 seasons, compared to our 11?

* - 1 of which was vacated
    If that makes you feel better....

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    It has to be done through a company. And there is a legal sheet thats only a page long has to be filled out.
    And who is checking every dollar that comes in now? If company A wants to hire Logan Tanner as his spokesman, and then random dude B decides he wants to give him an additional 30k for no reason at all, all he would have to do is file with the secretary of state's office as a corporation.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    What has been the interest level from our boosters/donors thus far.
    I don't know but I am going to start a company called LordMc's 20 Dollar Bill fountain. Almost all funds will go to current players, future players, strippers, and anything else needed to get these poor players the money they deserve based on their free market value.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I would add, my company needs funds for advertising. So if anyone wants to donate, I will make sure Sawyer and Tulu doesn't ever miss a pay day.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    The biggest issues with this To me are:
    1) There is almost always an "uncle" or parent/agent there to take advantage of the young person or give them poor advice. In my opinion, this money above a certain amount should be put into a trust until they graduate. So the young people can learn how to manage it and mature a little before the buzzards circle.
    2) This completely takes what little emphasis there was on education away. Even if a young linebacker wants to come to state abd get an engineering degree, if ole miss pays a higher price, then they will take that and change majors. All about the money now.

vCash
    1) There is almost always an "uncle" or parent/agent there to take advantage of the young person or give them poor advice. In my opinion, this money above a certain amount should be put into a trust until they graduate. So the young people can learn how to manage it and mature a little before the buzzards circle.
    2) This completely takes what little emphasis there was on education away. Even if a young linebacker wants to come to state abd get an engineering degree, if ole miss pays a higher price, then they will take that and change majors. All about the money now.
    It hasn't been about education since recruiting and recruiting rankings started.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    And who is checking every dollar that comes in now? If company A wants to hire Logan Tanner as his spokesman, and then random dude B decides he wants to give him an additional 30k for no reason at all, all he would have to do is file with the secretary of state's office as a corporation.
    I can see Bracky taking in the cash and distributing it as instructed, along with a 1099.

vCash
    I do agree with you on this. Especially number 1. Number 2 has been dead for a while. That ended about when Bear Bryant started recruiting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sack07 View Post
    This is a contradiction. It?s going to separate the haves and the have nots? Yet, you?re worried about Miami rising up? Seems like you think it?s going to give more teams a chance.

It?s funny that all you free-market capitalists have a problem with people earning money that any other college student would be able to earn.
    Ain't got nothing to do with Miami. Miami is just the example of how out of control this thing can get.

Free market don't mean anything goes; that is an ignorant perception. There are rules all over society to keep order and prevent chaos and corruption. This ruling creates chaos and corruption. I can't help those that have little wisdom and discernment.

Do you know what discernment is? It is knowing the difference in right and almost right. Almost right is wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sack07 View Post
    This is a contradiction. It?s going to separate the haves and the have nots? Yet, you?re worried about Miami rising up? Seems like you think it?s going to give more teams a chance.

It?s funny that all you free-market capitalists have a problem with people earning money that any other college student would be able to earn.
    This is not free market.

Free market is the ncaa saying, here is how we are going to do things. If you don't like it, create your own entity with its own model and compete against us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    This all day. Players have always been paid BIG MONEY in power 5. The difference will be now anyone/most will be paid not just the superstars.
    It will still be just the stars. No company is doing an endorsement deal for a third string lb who only plays on special teams

vCash
    One other thing to keep in mind: the Alston ruling only allowed athletes to receive "education related benefits." And it gave the NCAA discretion to determine what constitutes an "education related benefit."

But big picture, I suspect the next challenge will be to benefits unrelated to education. And when the ncaa loses that, it will cease to exist.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    It will still be just the stars. No company is doing an endorsement deal for a third string lb who only plays on special teams
    What if boosters spring for the AD?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    I do agree with you on this. Especially number 1. Number 2 has been dead for a while. That ended about when Bear Bryant started recruiting
    I think it will take what little was left away of the education piece. It didn't matter much but I know kids every year who let that play into the decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    You aren't paying attention. Read the paper. Miami is just the beginning....

vCash
    There is nothing stopping a booster from inviting a player to the house and paying him $200,000 for an hour. It won't happen? Isn't that what Bama paid Albert Means 20 years ago? An he wasn't even a great player. Cam Newton 100K?

The NCAA went from $400 for a set of tires for Kevin Fant and destroying us to anything goes now. We went from having standards to having no standards. Just a reflection of society where we don't have any morality any more. If it feels right to me or for me, do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    There is nothing stopping a booster from inviting a player to the house and paying him $200,000 for an hour. It won't happen? Isn't that what Bama paid Albert Means 20 years ago? An he wasn't even a great player. Cam Newton 100K?

The NCAA went from $400 for a set of tires for Kevin Fant and destroying us to anything goes now. We went from having standards to having no standards. Just a reflection of society where we don't have any morality any more. If it feels right to me or for me, do it.
    Yep. We won the last National Championship before the fall. I can live with that. More reading and fishing from here on out it appears.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Ain't got nothing to do with Miami. Miami is just the example of how out of control this thing can get.

Free market don't mean anything goes; that is an ignorant perception. There are rules all over society to keep order and prevent chaos and corruption. This ruling creates chaos and corruption. I can't help those that have little wisdom and discernment.

Do you know what discernment is? It is knowing the difference in right and almost right. Almost right is wrong.
    What exactly is wrong (or almost right as you say) with a player being paid money? Their talents are marketable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calidawg View Post
    540,000 / 85 scholarships is 6k per player.... and the world is ending!!!

Get a grip people. Grow up and accept the reality that the United States designates rights to people over 18 and receiving compensation is one of them.
    Fair compensation: Tuition- 4 years = $92,000 out of state/ $40,000 in state, text books, meal plan, housing 4 years = $68,000.

A student athlete on full scholarship gets the equivalent of $108,000 - $160,000 over 4 years, a college degree and no student loans. This doesn?t include the tutoring, medical, and other assistance plus the plethora of business connections made and tons of PR.

This is a bad plan and has basically come about due to cancel culture pressure but no one wants to admit. Everyone with a bit of common sense knows this is a terrible idea. The stipulation should have been put in place that all of this money should be put into an account and it is equally dispensed to all student athletes upon GRADUATION from college with a degree?you know?since they are STUDENT athletes playing for a SCHOOL. Yes, you would not get a lick of it if you left college early.