Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So... This NIL Thing Ain't Gonna Work

vCash
    Maybe put a cap on NIL giving per academic year? I have no idea how to come up with a reasonable cap though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    The Tax Man will be taking his fair share from the athletes now?
    Well yeah, that's a good thing, right? I'm sure Cam never paid taxes on his $180,000

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    They would have to do it with every school or alumni from the schools they left out would boycott. I think it is not going to be that big of deal. The same guys are going to sign with the same schools.
    Its not going to end up being that big of a deal.

People need to calm down. Im fine with guys getting sponsorships and im fine with guys getting some money for a video game but this is not going to be worst case like many are scared into thinking

vCash
    There are a lot of walls and boundaries between this and wild Wild West. I understand the concern and totally agree if it turns into that I will be a lot less interested.

But there is still a long way to go before amateur sports are over. The sky is not falling. I guarantee you the game threads here will be just as long. Who care if our LT gets money from UMI restaurant for appearing? They were already being compensated and living a lot better than a lot of folks. They are not and have never been victims.

They do work hard and deserve credit for it and they got that. Let it be

vCash
    It's going to become more one sided than it is now. That's the problem.

vCash
    Oh it'll work, it will just morph college football into something it was never intended to be, and that is what they want.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    It's going to become more one sided than it is now. That's the problem.
    For the top teams and the top players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Well yeah, that's a good thing, right? I'm sure Cam never paid taxes on his $180,000
    Can't trace Cash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Can't trace Cash
    Cash, the gift that keeps on giving.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Yep basically make up any reason you want to pay players. This is a disaster. I'm still amazed at the people that are so blind and can't see this. This will further separate the have's and have nots.

Miami supporter giving half mil a year split to all players. What is to stop anyone from making ridiculous contributions and claiming NIL stuff. Piss poor leadership and idiotic followship.
    This is a contradiction. It?s going to separate the haves and the have nots? Yet, you?re worried about Miami rising up? Seems like you think it?s going to give more teams a chance.

It?s funny that all you free-market capitalists have a problem with people earning money that any other college student would be able to earn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    To be fair, they already were. Now we're just admitting it.
    This all day. Players have always been paid BIG MONEY in power 5. The difference will be now anyone/most will be paid not just the superstars.

vCash
    What limits are there on a per player or dollar amount?

Can Jimmy Haslam theoretically pay a player 6 figures to be on a Flying J billboard?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post

Can Jimmy Haslam theoretically pay a player 6 figures to be on a Flying J billboard?
    I don't believe there's any limits, at least that I've heard. Open market.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    There are a lot of walls and boundaries between this and wild Wild West. I understand the concern and totally agree if it turns into that I will be a lot less interested.

But there is still a long way to go before amateur sports are over. The sky is not falling. I guarantee you the game threads here will be just as long. Who care if our LT gets money from UMI restaurant for appearing? They were already being compensated and living a lot better than a lot of folks. They are not and have never been victims.

They do work hard and deserve credit for it and they got that. Let it be
    There are absolutely no walls or boundaries. This is a circus and there is no way this ends well. You will find out firsthand real soon. OM will absolutely own us in football recruiting because of this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    There are absolutely no walls or boundaries. This is a circus and there is no way this ends well. You will find out firsthand real soon. OM will absolutely own us in football recruiting because of this.
    They already recruit "better" than us, and yet they've been to, what, 5* bowls over the last 11 seasons, compared to our 11?

* - 1 of which was vacated

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calidawg View Post
    540,000 / 85 scholarships is 6k per player.... and the world is ending!!!

Get a grip people. Grow up and accept the reality that the United States designates rights to people over 18 and receiving compensation is one of them.
    Anyone, and I mean anyone, can give money directly to players at any amount under any circumstances. The NCAA hold on buying players is over. I believe we all can agree, any student that has the ability to make money legally should have that right to do so. As they should. Same as in any student can transfer freely from one university to another, players should have that same ability.

We are all just accustomed to the NCAA treating these players as property. Holding their "passports" and forcing them into labor without pay because they have the only path to the pros. Those days are done. MSU needs to organize a "SuperPac" and do this big. If you don't, well look at Southern Miss. We need to become the place you go to make bank. Big time players, making big time money. Cause if you don't, Bama will. If we don't, UM will. There is not an option here. We need to get out there NOW. Not tomorrow, not next week, not after breakfast....NOW.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Anyone, and I mean anyone, can give money directly to players at any amount under any circumstances. The NCAA hold on buying players is over. I believe we all can agree, any student that has the ability to make money legally should have that right to do so. As they should. Same as in any student can transfer freely from one university to another, players should have that same ability.

We are all just accustomed to the NCAA treating these players as property. Holding their "passports" and forcing them into labor without pay because they have the only path to the pros. Those days are done. MSU needs to organize a "SuperPac" and do this big. If you don't, well look at Southern Miss. We need to become the place you go to make bank. Big time players, making big time money. Cause if you don't, Bama will. If we don't, UM will. There is not an option here. We need to get out there NOW. Not tomorrow, not next week, not after breakfast....NOW.
    Meh, who cares. You're about to see a huge exodus in college sport support, most notably football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sack07 View Post
    This is a contradiction. It?s going to separate the haves and the have nots? Yet, you?re worried about Miami rising up? Seems like you think it?s going to give more teams a chance.

It?s funny that all you free-market capitalists have a problem with people earning money that any other college student would be able to earn.
    It's going to create a sports league that more closely resembles professional leagues. Big committed fanbases, committed rich boosters, and committed local businesses are going to be important. So there will be some schools that are better able to comopete under the new regime. Just looking at football: Miami, despite being a small private school, actually has a rich donor base that might be wiling/able to make them competitive again. If T Boone Pickens were still around, he alone could make Ok St. relevant. If Jerry and one of the walmart heirs wanted to, they could make arkansas nationally relevant. A&M and Texas will probably stop being sleeping giants and will be able to buy their way out of their cultural problems. Alabama will be hurt but has enough crazy boosters they can probably keep up. Auburn will probably be about the same. This may help UTenn improve to consistently above average, but I don't think they are in a position to be nationally relevant.

The schools that will be hurt the most are the ones that are currently doing more with less. I'm sure there is somebody it will hurt more than MSU, but I'm not sure who it is. I'm thinking we are extremely lucky to have Leach right now, as I think he can put a decent offense on the field while losing a lot of recruits because of lower NIL payments.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post

Jimmy Haslam could theoretically pay a player 6 figures to potentially be on a Flying J billboard. It doesn't even need to happen. An agreement that it could be possible may not even be required.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Jimmy Haslam could theoretically pay a player 6 figures to potentially be on a Flying J billboard. It doesn't even need to happen. An agreement that it could be possible may not even be required.
    It has to be done through a company. And there is a legal sheet thats only a page long has to be filled out.