Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Wyatt - Film Study on Will Rogers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I feel like if you have five guys that they should always be able to block three unless those three are Reggie White, JJ Watt, and Aaron Donald or something like that.

Were our issues a not enough reps issue, was it a fit issue with the o-line, and how likely will we resolve it?
    But I can tell you now the OL will be improved from a year ago. The whole team will be. We are not far off

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    The issue is SEC defensive lineman are much much quicker than olineman and the more you spread them out, the more you give their speed/leverage combination a chance to outmaneuver you especially at the Tackle positions. Wide splits will not work unless you are able to keep them honest with the run. If they know it's a pass play, it's like giving them a two step head start in a bull rush.
    The idea that defensive talent in the SEC collectively is on an insurmountably higher level is a myth at this point that only grows as time goes on. It's true for a handful of teams who also happen to be among the tip-top recruiting teams in the country, who we play two to three, occasionally four times a year. I expect the air raid to struggle more often than not against those top teams just like the vast majority of offenses we've ever put on the field have, but I'll believe it when I see it that this offense fully tuned up has a ceiling in the SEC across the board any more than any other conference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    The idea that defensive talent in the SEC collectively is on an insurmountably higher level is a myth at this point that only grows as time goes on. It's true for a handful of teams who also happen to be among the tip-top recruiting teams in the country, who we play two to three, occasionally four times a year. I expect the air raid to struggle more often than not against those top teams just like the vast majority of offenses we've ever put on the field have, but I'll believe it when I see it that this offense fully tuned up has a ceiling in the SEC across the board any more than any other conference.
    The defensive talent is on another level in this league. Ask a lot of our staff and they will tell you. Spurrier Arnett all of them. This is a different world. Especially in the front 7

Banned
    vCash
    [QUOTE=BuckyIsAB****;1349135]The defensive talent is on another level in this league. Ask a lot of our staff and they will tell you. Spurrier Arnett all of them. This is a different world. Especially in the front 7[/QUOT

Going with bucky here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    The defensive talent is on another level in this league. Ask a lot of our staff and they will tell you. Spurrier Arnett all of them. This is a different world. Especially in the front 7
    I'll buy we've got the cream of the crop in our region; the NFL proves that much. But if the defensive talent across the board was truly so much greater that it makes an entire offensive scheme that works in every other conference non-viable (which I know isn't your position, just speaking to my original point), the SEC would be very close to undefeated in non-conference games, especially in the postseason.

vCash
    I'll buy we've got the cream of the crop in our region; the NFL proves that much. But if the defensive talent across the board was truly so much greater that it makes an entire offensive scheme that works in every other conference non-viable (which I know isn't your position, just speaking to my original point), the SEC would be very close to undefeated in non-conference games, especially in the postseason.
    Would be curious what the SEC W/L record against P5 teams is in the regular season last 10 years. Bowl games aren't a great indicator, too many other factors at play.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    We play 8 teams a year with defenses on par to what Leach has seen his entire career. 4 non conference, Ole Miss, kentucky, vandy, Arkansas this particular year….none of those defenses scare Mike Leach. The other 4 are going to be tough to deal with but that’s the case with any offense we put on the field with any coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    We play 8 teams a year with defenses on par to what Leach has seen his entire career. 4 non conference, Ole Miss, kentucky, vandy, Arkansas this particular year….none of those defenses scare Mike Leach. The other 4 are going to be tough to deal with but that’s the case with any offense we put on the field with any coach.
    We beat all of those teams last year if we dont turn it over. We are not far off. People forget why we lost to UK and Arky. We are a fumble at the foot line away from beating OM with 41 kids on the roster

vCash
    We beat all of those teams last year if we dont turn it over. We are not far off. People forget why we lost to UK and Arky. We are a fumble at the foot line away from beating OM with 41 kids on the roster
    I'm rolling with you this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Very well said. No reason we shouldn't win 7-8 games / yr... minimum.

vCash
    You need to work on your reading comprehension. Read what i said again. No matter what league you are in, the defensive line, mainly edge rushers, will always be quicker than the offensive front. Quicker feet, quicker moves.

vCash
    The NFL says otherwise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    You need to work on your reading comprehension. Read what i said again. No matter what league you are in, the defensive line, mainly edge rushers, will always be quicker than the offensive front. Quicker feet, quicker moves.
    So when you said "SEC" in your post I first responded to, reading comprehension should have told me you meant "all leagues." Got it, will remember for the future.

vCash
    So when you said "SEC" in your post I first responded to, reading comprehension should have told me you meant "all leagues." Got it, will remember for the future.
    "Defensive lineman are much much quicker than olineman" much like offensive lineman are stronger than receivers usually. That's the point. Nothing about defenses being better than offenses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    The NFL says otherwise.
    Only 20% of NFL rosters come from the SEC. Sure that's more than any other conference but 80% of the NFL did not play in the SEC.

The big difference is that almost all the schools in the SEC have talent where other conferences taper off rather quickly after the top few teams. It's every week in the SEC that you see those type players.

I think that's why SEC teams fair better in the playoffs or in bowl games etc.. They are more hardened to the competition on a weekly basis.

vCash
    Yeah the average SEC DL is better than the average big 12 DL, but the elite of any conference would still ball out in the SEC. As was said, 20% of the NFL are from the SEC, which has about 12% of the schools. That's definitely better talent, but it isn't like the air raid is suddenly facing 2 first rounder DL a Saturday, or that Leach OLs didn't face NFL lineman at his other stops.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Yeah the average SEC DL is better than the average big 12 DL, but the elite of any conference would still ball out in the SEC. As was said, 20% of the NFL are from the SEC, which has about 12% of the schools. That's definitely better talent, but it isn't like the air raid is suddenly facing 2 first rounder DL a Saturday, or that Leach OLs didn't face NFL lineman at his other stops.
    For sure, especially if you consider that he had was at place that had two of the worst places to go in WSU and Tech for NFL talent. It was rare he got a NFL talented player and he had to go up against them way more than he had them and he was still successful with his offenses.

vCash
    The SEC is the best conference top to bottom. But the gap is farthest vs the big 12 and pac 12. The ACC and Big 10 are closer but still aint there yet. Likely never will be. Probably never were its just the system of crowning a champ was so flawed before the mid 90s really

vCash
    The SEC is the best conference top to bottom. But the gap is farthest vs the big 12 and pac 12. The ACC and Big 10 are closer but still aint there yet. Likely never will be. Probably never were its just the system of crowning a champ was so flawed before the mid 90s really
    Yes the SEC is the strongest top to bottom. I feel we have the most culture problems which can create massive dumpster fires of trash (TN under Pruitt, Ark under Morris) but the talent on everyone but Vandy makes the "danger" level week to week higher than it is in any other conference.

So, if you have a bad year -like us last year-, it's likely you get beat by everyone. Whereas that same team in another conference would still get destroyed by the top of that conference, but would be able to win a few vs other bottom dwellers. Fortunately, Leach has won big at Tech and WSU. That means his system, when run properly with a reasonable level of talent, can beat teams good teams with far more talent, and we don't have to worry that his success was only because his 50th best team got lucky that the 60th best team was in their conference and bumped the W-L record up.

Mullen never proved he could do that. I do think Mullen is a better overall coach, but his ceiling was lower than Leach. Leachs' system goes for broke every year, Mullen toned it back to where the floor was higher but we had no shot vs elite teams.

The fact is last year we had a OL doing the exact opposite of what they were recruited and trained for, our terrible WR room was asked to be the center of the O vs zone concepts they've never been taught to beat, and a mess at QB between a talented but brain dead transfer QB and a TFr. Oh, did I mention our premadona distraction of a RB, who was rightly kicked off leaving us with 2 TFr at the position?

That's an absolute mess of an O anyway you slice it. Would we have been better if Leach adjusted his system to our personnel? Yes. Can I draw any long term conclusions about his system based on last year? No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Yes the SEC is the strongest top to bottom. I feel we have the most culture problems which can create massive dumpster fires of trash (TN under Pruitt, Ark under Morris) but the talent on everyone but Vandy makes the "danger" level week to week higher than it is in any other conference.

So, if you have a bad year -like us last year-, it's likely you get beat by everyone. Whereas that same team in another conference would still get destroyed by the top of that conference, but would be able to win a few vs other bottom dwellers. Fortunately, Leach has won big at Tech and WSU. That means his system, when run properly with a reasonable level of talent, can beat teams good teams with far more talent, and we don't have to worry that his success was only because his 50th best team got lucky that the 60th best team was in their conference and bumped the W-L record up.

Mullen never proved he could do that. I do think Mullen is a better overall coach, but his ceiling was lower than Leach. Leachs' system goes for broke every year, Mullen toned it back to where the floor was higher but we had no shot vs elite teams.

The fact is last year we had a OL doing the exact opposite of what they were recruited and trained for, our terrible WR room was asked to be the center of the O vs zone concepts they've never been taught to beat, and a mess at QB between a talented but brain dead transfer QB and a TFr. Oh, did I mention our premadona distraction of a RB, who was rightly kicked off leaving us with 2 TFr at the position?

That's an absolute mess of an O anyway you slice it. Would we have been better if Leach adjusted his system to our personnel? Yes. Can I draw any long term conclusions about his system based on last year? No.
    One thing with Mullen, he was always in try not to lose mode. He has opened the offense up more at UF. I wonder if that is him or Spurrier pushing him to do it. Anyone see that video of him writing on a white board and Spurrier walks in and "corrects" him and then walks back out?