Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Wyatt - Film Study on Will Rogers

vCash

Matt Wyatt - Film Study on Will Rogers

Worth the watch. Matt is incredible at these. Makes me ready for some football.

vCash
    I really liked how he showed how will grew throughout the season. I think this offense will work in the sec. I think its reasonable to expect to be 7 or 8 wins a year with a shot at 10 every 4 or 5 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouDawg View Post
    I really liked how he showed how will grew throughout the season. I think this offense will work in the sec. I think its reasonable to expect to be 7 or 8 wins a year with a shot at 10 every 4 or 5 years.
    I totally agree. Can't wait for the season to start.

vCash
    This offense can work if....the Oline actually blocks people. Can't have 8 people dropping into coverage and still getting a sack rushing 3 guys.

vCash
    Wyatt always does a good job with these.

I'm not sold on Rogers by any stretch. He's a film junkie and I think he'll put in the work, but I question his arm talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    This offense can work if....the Oline actually blocks people. Can't have 8 people dropping into coverage and still getting a sack rushing 3 guys.
    I think it will work if Leach is committed to throwing in the run game to his play mix like he did in the last few weeks of the season.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Wyatt always does a good job with these.

I'm not sold on Rogers by any stretch. He's a film junkie and I think he'll put in the work, but I question his arm talent.
    Leach hasn’t had anyone with great “arm talent” his entire career outside of a couple of guys. They all look just like Will. The OL is the key. Will is accurate and smart enough to run this Offense to perfection if e OL blocks. Like someone else said we have to beat the drop 8. When that happens we will be nearly impossible to stop. Every week will look a lot more like LSU than Arkansas / Kentucky when that happens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Leach hasn’t had anyone with great “arm talent” his entire career outside of a couple of guys. They all look just like Will. The OL is the key. Will is accurate and smart enough to run this Offense to perfection if e OL blocks. Like someone else said we have to beat the drop 8. When that happens we will be nearly impossible to stop. Every week will look a lot more like LSU than Arkansas / Kentucky when that happens.
    I think the o line improved down the stretch and the receivers started understanding how to find the space in the zone. The UGA game is a great example of how the team finally trusted the system and took what the defense gave them until UGA got impatient and jumped to man then we hit them with some shot plays. The auburn game was a setback but the other games down the stretch were vastly improved.

vCash
    We will have to run the ball more and give Will time for it to work. We are going to see the drop 8 and if we cant protect we are going to see some pressure with 3 man rush. The offense hinges on the OL. The rest of it is good enough to win 7-9 at this point. Ive said before, Leach is not going to call a run play. Every run is a QB check.

vCash
    Here's his breakdown of Jack Abraham

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Here's his breakdown of Jack Abraham

I appreciate the off-season thread with Jack’s highlights but I hope our fans can get it out of their heads that he is going to come in to rescue the day. He’s not an SEC quarterback and is not going to play this year unless will gets hurt. Outside of the spring game the qb competition was not close per anyone that watched.

vCash
    I appreciate the off-season thread with Jack’s highlights but I hope our fans can get it out of their heads that he is going to come in to rescue the day. He’s not an SEC quarterback and is not going to play this year unless will gets hurt. Outside of the spring game the qb competition was not close per anyone that watched.
    Says who?

vCash
    I never said he was...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    We will have to run the ball more and give Will time for it to work. We are going to see the drop 8 and if we cant protect we are going to see some pressure with 3 man rush. The offense hinges on the OL. The rest of it is good enough to win 7-9 at this point. Ive said before, Leach is not going to call a run play. Every run is a QB check.
    I feel like if you have five guys that they should always be able to block three unless those three are Reggie White, JJ Watt, and Aaron Donald or something like that.

Were our issues a not enough reps issue, was it a fit issue with the o-line, and how likely will we resolve it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I feel like if you have five guys that they should always be able to block three unless those three are Reggie White, JJ Watt, and Aaron Donald or something like that.

Were our issues a not enough reps issue, was it a fit issue with the o-line, and how likely will we resolve it?
    The issue is SEC defensive lineman are much much quicker than olineman and the more you spread them out, the more you give their speed/leverage combination a chance to outmaneuver you especially at the Tackle positions. Wide splits will not work unless you are able to keep them honest with the run. If they know it's a pass play, it's like giving them a two step head start in a bull rush.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Says who?
    Says the people who actually went to practices and talk to the coaches this past spring.

vCash
    What I saw in these films that bothered me was the lack of separation by our WR's. The coverage ability by some of these defenses we face must be next level or something because we do not get separation easily. You just don't see open guys running around out there even with 5 out in a route. A year into the system, maybe we will have better route running and separation throughout the WR group and not just have one or two executing properly.

As far as Will and the QB position is concerned:

I think Pre-snap recognition, quick decision making and precision passing is way more important than having that big arm. This offense can become very methodical which requires high execution and a good grasp of the entire offenses so you can finish drives over multiple plays. They don't seem to take shots down the field until they are presented which usually comes after they have been executing at a high level for awhile. I know you can't be throwing rainbow passes out there all the time but Will seems to put plenty of zip on most of his throws and he is decisive and accurate which is an effective combination.

Will also seemed to be checking into more and more run plays as the season went along, that's part of that pre-snap recognition that is so important. I don't see anyone starting ahead of Will, at least for now, and I expect this offense to be much better this year.

I am looking forward to the season. I have ordered my tickets and I plan to be there. I fully expect to see some fun times ahead!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    What I saw in these films that bothered me was the lack of separation by our WR's. The coverage ability by some of these defenses we face must be next level or something because we do not get separation easily. You just don't see open guys running around out there even with 5 out in a route. A year into the system, maybe we will have better route running and separation throughout the WR group and not just have one or two executing properly.

As far as Will and the QB position is concerned:

I think Pre-snap recognition, quick decision making and precision passing is way more important than having that big arm. This offense can become very methodical which requires high execution and a good grasp of the entire offenses so you can finish drives over multiple plays. They don't seem to take shots down the field until they are presented which usually comes after they have been executing at a high level for awhile. I know you can't be throwing rainbow passes out there all the time but Will seems to put plenty of zip on most of his throws and he is decisive and accurate which is an effective combination.

Will also seemed to be checking into more and more run plays as the season went along, that's part of that pre-snap recognition that is so important. I don't see anyone starting ahead of Will, at least for now, and I expect this offense to be much better this year.

I am looking forward to the season. I have ordered my tickets and I plan to be there. I fully expect to see some fun times ahead!
    Wear all your baseball NC merchandise. Hopefully it'll rub off on the football team!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Says who?
    Everyone with any football sense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

That is a myth. The way we block it you are always going to end up with a 1 on 1 somewhere. You can go on and on about 5 against 3 but when it turns into 1v1 those numbers dont matter anymore. As a defensive coach that is about all you can ask for is for your best rusher to get a 1v1 and let him go win.