Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking the 2022 MSU Baseball Roster

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    We ARE College baseball that's how.
    This and we're kinda of a throwback team. Lot of talented kids out there that want that culture.

Banned
    vCash
    So Jack Walker is not considering the draft? Solid offers from other power houses?

vCash
    Mabye it's just me but I'm not that impressed with Jess Davis. Good glove, sure but we're going to need some sticks and if he's only hitting .258 against the competition he's been facing what's he gonna hit in the SEC. We've got a decent glove in Skinner but he can't hit. Why bring in the same thing?
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Mabye it's just me but I'm not that impressed with Jess Davis. Good glove, sure but we're going to need some sticks and if he's only hitting .258 against the competition he's been facing what's he gonna hit in the SEC. We've got a decent glove in Skinner but he can't hit. Why bring in the same thing?
    Davis had an off year this year because of some nagging injuries but he played every game and stole 28 bases. Last year he hit 290, year before hit 296, has good obp doesn't strike out much and stole 48 bases the year he hit 296(stole 6 last year in the shortened season).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    So Jack Walker is not considering the draft? Solid offers from other power houses?
    He's coming off a TJ surgery so I think scouts want him to come to college, get stronger, and do well vs. SEC hitting. He's going to be a steal.

vCash
    I've got an in at UAB. I'll see what I can find out......
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Delete
    Last edited by Catfish; 07-03-2021 at 09:14 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    We can safely assume Lemonis has evaluated Davis and accept his decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    After what Lemonis and company did this year you have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Hell, if they announced that Gene Swindoll was signing to be our clean up hitter then by all means, get ready!

Banned
    vCash
    I realize the concerns but Team Lemonis deserves leeway at this juncture. Commerce is a humble gentleman that prolly is one of the most knowledgeable baseball person on this board.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    He's coming off a TJ surgery so I think scouts want him to come to college, get stronger, and do well vs. SEC hitting. He's going to be a steal.
    Yessir he is. He very well could be a closer for us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Bruns is a possible Canadian is how the MLB scouting report reads ... the report implies Bruns Needs low stakes development not SEC starts at a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP program like MSU.

Plus his HS coach gave him this advice.

"Maddux and I have talked about it, but it was on his terms,? he said. ?My message to him was, ?It just depends on what you want to do. If your goal is to play major league baseball, then you need to get started as soon as you can.? That?s my advice. ?If you want to play at State for three years, that is good, too. But you can get an education anytime. You can get an education online.? It just depends on what his goal is and what he wants to do. If his goal is big-league ball, he needs to get in as quick as he can."

The coach also implies Bruns is a 1 pitch guy. Fastball with a curve when he has to. The coach was Tanner Allen's coach too. Decent article.

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/...dux-bruns.html
    I guess I just have a different perspective than this HS coach. I don't think a guy should ever skip his college experience unless he is being offered life changing money out of HS that he risks never seeing again if he doesn't take it. I say that because you only get one chance to have the college experience (sorry, online education is not the same) and better develop as a well rounded human being. There is much more to life than just baseball EVEN for baseball players trying to play professionally. Going straight out of HS to the minor league life where you are just playing baseball and traveling all the time with mostly guys much older and only focused on sports is really not the best way for an 18 to 20 year to mature into life, its just not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This isn't true. Many kids turn down millions out of HS only to get hardly anything out of college. More college guys are drafted because they ask for less money & thus more get to the big leagues, but I'd bet you'd find the HS kids that get 7+ figures are pretty damn good.
    Goodness, there are 'many' kids turning down millions out of HS? I find that hard to believe but if its happening at all it must be primarily happening at a place like Vanderbilt that can basically provide 'extra benefits' legally while offering a prestigious degree. I know they have gotten several first rounders to come to school. As far as I know, JT Ginn is the only player in our entire baseball history that has ever turned down that kind of money to come to MSU.

vCash
    so are some of you guys saying that the Dawgs could be better next year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    so are some of you guys saying that the Dawgs could be better next year
    Depends on development of a few guys. Obviously TA and Rowdey are big losses that will be tough to replace, but we were a young team this year for the most part. Guys like LoTan, KJ, Kellum, and Forsythe get a summer and an off-season to get stronger and develop more as hitters. I think it will again come down to what our pitching staff looks like. We need Fristoe and Cade Smith to both take a step up next year and be weekend starters for us.

vCash
    Not sure that'll be the case.....I know we're hyped but let's be realistic, we have nobody to replace TA, RJ and WB......Sure, we have some serviceable guys that will get better but those are some big shoes to fill......

vCash
    Our lineup should be quite good, but we don't know if it will be good or very good. And we really have no idea what our rotation will look like or how good it will be. We should be a solid team at absolute worst and the potential is there to be very good, but we really just have no way of knowing at this point what kind of team we'll have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Our lineup should be quite good, but we don't know if it will be good or very good. And we really have no idea what our rotation will look like or how good it will be. We should be a solid team at absolute worst and the potential is there to be very good, but we really just have no way of knowing at this point what kind of team we'll have.
    It will be good, especially pitching- Fristoe, Cade, and Tepper are a high talent group AND you have a healthy Brandon.

You might get Harding and MacLeod back. With Sims, that's a very talented front 7.

If KC Hunt clicks In as expected, then it's another special pitching staff.

By the way, this is true for every team in the nation. Vandy without Leiter/Rocker, Hogs without Wiklander/Kopps, etc

vCash
    BTW at the beginning of the season we did not have Bednar penciled in. Let the chips fall and Lemo will figure it out. Can?t tell you how many times an Ace starts the year as Ace yet finished in the pen. Young arms coming in are stout. Same with the position players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    BTW at the beginning of the season we did not have Bednar penciled in. Let the chips fall and Lemo will figure it out. Can?t tell you how many times an Ace starts the year as Ace yet finished in the pen. Young arms coming in are stout. Same with the position players.
    Yeah Lemonis adjusted everything from the pitching staff to the lineup til he got what he wanted. Love the fact he's not afraid to tinker early and play a lot of guys to find out what they can do and where they fit. He really does play the long game and sees things down the road instead of instant gratification. It's been amazing to watch him manage the roster and lineup.