Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Tracking the 2022 MSU Baseball Roster

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I would be surprised to see Stinnett start.
    Agree

vCash
    So has Stinnett simply improved his ability to locate or developed a better slider?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    So has Stinnett simply improved his ability to locate or developed a better slider?
    His slider was good last year. At least the bite on his slider. Location, now that's another story.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    First two correct. Walling has lots of work got do to get a weekend spot. He's not a strike thrower and he's trying to become one. While doing so his velo is down too. He will have to prove himself out of the pen and mid week starts.... walker is going to be good. We shall see who ultimately ends up as Sunday guy. Probably numerous people get a shot.
    I agree about Walling. Unless he makes a big jump in the spring he won't make the rotation and really the only reason I mentioned him was because I know that being a starter here was our pitch when we were recruiting him. I could see Lemonis using him as a starter midweek to start the year barring a big jump that I mentioned but right now he just looks like a relief only guy. I could also see him ending up like Cerentola last year.

vCash
    He was better at it in summer ball. Not sure that I would just make him a starter based on his summer though. It wasn't like he had a Stratton/Dakota Hudson type summer in the Cape or anything like that. I don't think he even started in summer ball either but I could be wrong about that.

He'll be a good bullpen piece for us but he was honestly pretty lucky last year with how much he walked people.

vCash
    Fun preseason stats: 149, 115, and 125

Those were the opposing batting averages against Sims, Cade, and Stinnett in 2021.

Stinnett with control could be very special, that's why his great Fall is very interesting, D1 gave him a nice write up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Fun preseason stats: 149, 115, and 125

Those were the opposing batting averages against Sims, Cade, and Stinnett in 2021.

Stinnett with control could be very special, that's why his great Fall is very interesting, D1 gave him a nice write up
    Hard to hit something that isn't in the strike zone! LOL. Stinnett with control is probably our closer. But he's probably going to be a lot closer to Cole Gordon than Landon Sims. If he even is the closer. Preston Johnson and others will have a say in that as well.

vCash
    He was better at it in summer ball. Not sure that I would just make him a starter based on his summer though. It wasn't like he had a Stratton/Dakota Hudson type summer in the Cape or anything like that. I don't think he even started in summer ball either but I could be wrong about that.

He'll be a good bullpen piece for us but he was honestly pretty lucky last year with how much he walked people.
    The 2021 Cape Hero is Mikey Tepper. But only pitched 9 innings, but 2-0 in 2 starts, 0.00 ERA

vCash
    Hard to hit something that isn't in the strike zone! LOL. Stinnett with control is probably our closer. But he's probably going to be a lot closer to Cole Gordon than Landon Sims. If he even is the closer. Preston Johnson and others will have a say in that as well.
    Early or late Cole Gordon? Cause if we talking Post Mullet, knee locking curveball Cole, bring it!!!

vCash
    We'll see. The player got 31 Ks in 18 innings with 13 SEC or Regional outings. Foxhall had many options.

Funny thing for me, I was alone in the same argument last year about Houston Harding

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    His slider was good last year. At least the bite on his slider. Location, now that's another story.
    Another thought on #3, who ever it might be. What we learned in Omaha is that this team can roll out 5 or 6 arms on a Sunday and keep batters under control.

Might be the way that Foxhall attacks the deep, experienced hitting teams like LSU, Arkansas, and OM. Never let anybody see the same pitcher twice

vCash
    I think our rotation is Sims, Smith, and then a battle between Fristoe and Walling.

I think the closer could be KC Hunt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I think our rotation is Sims, Smith, and then a battle between Fristoe and Walling.

I think the closer could be KC Hunt.
    I think Tepper has better stuff than Hunt! We?ll see how much he?s progressed! Kid?s got a big time arm for sure!
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    I think Tepper has better stuff than Hunt! We?ll see how much he?s progressed! Kid?s got a big time arm for sure!
    It's great to have so many prospects, considering that MSU ended 2021 with Bednar as the only original rotation guy still performing to expectations, having this quality depth and options is critical.

- Original #2 Pre-Season All American developed mechanical problems late and lost his snap
    - Original #3 stayed at his freshman development level
    - Original #4 went from Freshman All American to regular Freshman

Yet, still won a National Championship due to depth that could replace the expected performance

vCash
    Funny thing for me, I was alone in the same argument last year about Houston Harding
    Say what now?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    If you have any updates - Let me know.
    Not sure how I missed or forgot this thread. Good work and thanks Scooba.

vCash
    If I have learned anything about our coaching and the ever changing college game, it is that I am more concerned with how deep and effective our bullpen is than how good our starters are.

vCash
    The 2021 Cape Hero is Mikey Tepper. But only pitched 9 innings, but 2-0 in 2 starts, 0.00 ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    Early or late Cole Gordon? Cause if we talking Post Mullet, knee locking curveball Cole, bring it!!!
    Hopefully late Cole Gordon.

We'll see. The player got 31 Ks in 18 innings with 13 SEC or Regional outings. Foxhall had many options.

Another thought on #3, who ever it might be. What we learned in Omaha is that this team can roll out 5 or 6 arms on a Sunday and keep batters under control.

Might be the way that Foxhall attacks the deep, experienced hitting teams like LSU, Arkansas, and OM. Never let anybody see the same pitcher twice
    I'm not sure that the staff would prefer to do that though. Would mean that midweek would be an adventure as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    The thing about Tepper is he has to show consistent command. That's the key for him.

vCash
    My initial thoughts at the rotation would be Sims, Cade, and Simmons....but that would be 3 RHP's, and I'm thinking we'll want at least 1 Lefty starter in the weekend rotation. That leads to my next question....can someone list our LH arms? Do we have many LHP's? Bc I feel like having a few go-to LHP's is huge in postseason for matchups

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    My initial thoughts at the rotation would be Sims, Cade, and Simmons....but that would be 3 RHP's, and I'm thinking we'll want at least 1 Lefty starter in the weekend rotation. That leads to my next question....can someone list our LH arms? Do we have many LHP's? Bc I feel like having a few go-to LHP's is huge in postseason for matchups
    The starters used in the Inter-Team series and the Bama game were:

(A) Bama - Fristoe: 1 inning 1 Run 1 Hit (HR)
    (B) B Smith - 4 innings, 5 hits, 1 run
    (C) Walling - less than 1 inning with 4 walks, 4 runs, 9 batters faced
    (D) Simmons - 3 innings with 5 runs, 6 hits
    (E) Stinnett - 4 innings and 9 Ks and 1 BB, 2 runs
    (F) Kohn - 1 inning, 3 runs
    (G) C Smith -2 innings 6 runs

So after Sims, there were quite a few players given a shot to start in the fall. ED seems to have Sims and C Smith as given starters with #3 being different for each poster.

The 3rd starter by the 1st SEC Series seems like a great V-Cash betting topic.