Thread: Simple, Vandy will not beat you with the bats

vCash

Simple, Vandy will not beat you with the bats

Vandy hit for average this year, in this CWS they have gone cold. IF you throw strikes and don?t walk them, You WILL BEAT THEM. This entire CWS I would say 70 percent of runs scored against us were free passes or HBP. I mean seriously, I?m not going to go back and look, but throughout this whole CWS, if we don?t issue walls we might have given up what 10 actual earned manufactured runs? If you don?t give teams a free pass the traffic across home plate does not happen.

Hootie throw strikes and you will win. Our bullpen proved that last night. Vandy is probably the coldest hitting team in Omaha this year but they are disciplined. Throw strikes we win. State wins this series if we don?t walk or HBP more than 4 batters.

It does not matter who pitches, just give me a kid that feels the strike zone up and you always have a chance. Our defense has been solid minus the misplayed fly all in CF against TX.

Also, Rowdy needs to realize this ballpark is bigger than his ego, line drives and singles here on out for him. Tanner gets it but Rowdy needs to do push-ups on the spot for every fly ball he hits. Willy Mays Hayes style.

Hail Freakin State. We have this series just execute the pitches let your defense work for you.

vCash
    To get in the weeds just a bit and looking at just our games with Vandy this year, we have issued 18 walks in the four games we have played. 12 of those runners ended up scoring. The run difference in those 4 games is Vandy +13. Cut out the walks and we are at least 2-2 against them this year if not 3-1. They are averaging 7 runs a game against us while we are averaging less than 4.

If we are going to win this, Bradfield CANNOT reach base. Last night we were pitching him up in the zone to try and get him to pop up or get the ball in the air. That's a great strategy however Mac wasn't able to execute and led the game off walking him.

On the filp side, we have been walked by Vandy pitching 15 times in the 4 games. Only 3 of those runners scored. Last night we earned 5 walks, none of those scored. We were 1-8 with runners in scoring position.

We have to be better in capitalizing on walks, advancing runners either by steal, sacrifice, hits, etc. and once they are in scoring position, getting those runners home.

vCash
    Agreed and thanks for looking that up. I am out on vacation and my wife gives me certain looks of pure affection when I open up this phone. Haha.

vCash
    Or perhaps if you don't hit their batters
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    I loop free passes all together, wild pitch (3rd strike), walks and HBP. In game of baseball you limit those you are setting yourself up for success. Vandy is nothing special in the batters box RIGHT NOW. Yes they hit well in regular season but they are not making a ton of solid contact right now.

vCash
    Bednar vs Rocker for all the marbles….. throw damn strikes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    With a fresh Sims to boot. I love our chances. Rocker has not been near as sharp as Bednar...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    That's the key right there. Don't walk Vandy we win

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    With a fresh Sims to boot. I love our chances. Rocker has not been near as sharp as Bednar...
    But Rocker seems to get the "love" from the home plate ump with calls 4 inches off the plate a lot.

vCash
    If Perry Costello if home plate Ump, we screwed.

vCash
    In 17 of the 18 innings of this series, Vandy has scored a combined 3 runs. Most of the crap show of the 1st two nights ago they didn't earn.

Vandy has 3 guys and we will see 2 of them tonight. Fill up the zone, make them outhit us, and let the chips fall where they may.

We need 4 from Bednar, we need someone like Cade or Brandon Smith for 2, then Sims to finish it out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    In 17 of the 18 innings of this series, Vandy has scored a combined 3 runs. Most of the crap show of the 1st two nights ago they didn't earn.

Vandy has 3 guys and we will see 2 of them tonight. Fill up the zone, make them outhit us, and let the chips fall where they may.

We need 4 from Bednar, we need someone like Cade or Brandon Smith for 2, then Sims to finish it out.
    Agree with this. Would be a gift if Bednar could go 5 but on short rest not likely. Cade and Brandon might get 1-2 innings. Don't really want to pitch Sims more than 3 on short rest.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Agree with this. Would be a gift if Bednar could go 5 but on short rest not likely. Cade and Brandon might get 1-2 innings. Don't really want to pitch Sims more than 3 on short rest.
    Agreed. If we can have a 4-2 or 5-2 lead going into the 7th, you allow whowever is hot start the 7th. If they get us 1-2 outs in the seventh, then anytime they fall behind in the count or let someone on base, you make the switch to Sims. I really hope we can get to the bottom of the eighth before we bring Sims in. It would be big time.
    Let's go.
    Downvotes_Hype