Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We have GOT to do something about baseball seating

vCash

We have GOT to do something about baseball seating

Our grandstand was empty and they kept showing it on TV tonight. Todd wrote an article about it and people keep mentioning it- but Strick and crew HAVE to get something changed and get people in the stands. That looks awful and gives a terrible impression of our program.

Somebody needs to get creative and get some people in those damn seats- I dont care who pays for them. If they arent coming to the games- it just looks really bad.
    Last edited by elitedawgs; 04-19-2013 at 09:33 AM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    We had 7954 in attendance tonight and that is a good crowd for a Thursday night game with this weather approaching. I do agree with you that something has to be done to get the grandstands filled up.

vCash
    I don't know what possible solution there is. Other than let people sit there w-o a ticket to the seat and get booted if the ticket holder comes. Other than that not much you can do. At least nothing I can think of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWillScrewItUp View Post
    We had 7954 in attendance tonight and that is a good crowd for a Thursday night game with this weather approaching. I do agree with you that something has to be done to get the grandstands filled up.
    Our attendance number is great-but they are all out in the damn outfield. The grandstand is empty, and it looks like we have 1,500 people there and dont give a shit about our baseball program
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I don't know what possible solution there is. Other than let people sit there w-o a ticket to the seat and get booted if the ticket holder comes. Other than that not much you can do. At least nothing I can think of.
    This would be an upgrade for sure but if more people want to sit in the OF who can blame them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Our attendance number is great-but they are all out in the damn outfield. The grandstand is empty, and it looks like we have 1,500 people there and dont give a shit about our baseball program
    I agree. There has to be a way to keep the lounges full and fill up the grandstand I just don't know the solution.

vCash
    There is one good thing about the situation now- the seats are going to be sold as season tickets. Those people aren't going to give up their seats and not buy the tix even if they just come to a few. We at least don't lose out ass in baseball financially like many others.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    There is one good thing about the situation now- the seats are going to be sold as season tickets. Those people aren't going to give up their seats and not buy the tix even if they just come to a few. We at least don't lose out ass in baseball financially like many others.
    True... But we could sell twice as many season tickets as we currently do IF people(that actually want to come) could get decent seats. Reseat that MF based on priority(and build in attendance as a method of gaining priority). Currently, we sell out the chairbacks every year in season tickets -- and about 1700 in the outfield(about 6k total season tickets sold). NO ONE ELSE without vested interest in the outfield are buying season tix to sit in those god-forsaken bleachers -- but MANY of those people would if they could get a decent seat.

Fact is simple -- it's f'n bullshit to have 1500+ sitting in the BLEACHERS, which are the worst seats in all of college baseball(at least the worst I've ever been to), with the grandstands half full on live national tv. Just letting those people into the grandstands would have made the place look damn near full.

I say tear the MF down -- build twice(at least) as many luxury boxes and a club level and let CGA's for those tickets largely pay for the joint. NO ONE cancels their luxury suites @ DNF, and it's been sold out from day 1. I've been up there(they have signage and nametags on the doors), and it's all the usual names from the time they were built.

vCash
    I'm all for tearing the grandstand down and starting over.

Until then, what I would do is cover the bleachers up with tarps- we could make it look decent with maybe pictures of Will Clark and Rafael Palmeiro or us going to Omaha on them. If we need the bleachers- like a SR, regional, or maybe SBW, just uncover the bleachers and there you go.

Of all the solutions I have heard, and all the issues as to why people maybe don't go, I really think turning the grandstand into a huge GA seating area where you find a seat and if a season ticket holder has that seat, you simply move until you find one that is unoccupied is the best solution. There is no demand for a ticket exchange, doing things to assert priority likely pisses off a good portion of the fanbase that is giving us money if they don't show up and could be really bad for business. Let's be honest here- the people in the bleachers basically end up in the grandstand for most of the game anyway.

I have to think that there was some type of an issue in the past with squatters rights because the grandstand is heavily guarded by rent a cops. That started when I was in college under LT when Pat McMahon became our coach. (shocker) Certainly could have been LT being a douche.

vCash
    ok. This is my first missed SBW since 1988. I have been on the road for 16 days. Honestly, when Im there, I still sit in the outfield.

I TRY to give my tickets away and I cant. I TRY to give my club level football tickets away and I usually cant. I dont know what the solution is guys.

FYI, my family is part of life time members. We would all GLADLY give up what we have for the betterment of MSU. In any sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Will James View Post
    This would be an upgrade for sure but if more people want to sit in the OF who can blame them.
    Even more reason to have a general admission policy for the grandstand. I don't have a problem if a season ticket holder wants to sit on the outfield. It's not any different than if someone that has season tickets in the grandstand sees some empty seats in another part of the grandstand and wants to sit in their unassigned seat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ennis Del Mar View Post
    ok. This is my first missed SBW since 1988. I have been on the road for 16 days. Honestly, when Im there, I still sit in the outfield.

I TRY to give my tickets away and I cant. I TRY to give my club level football tickets away and I usually cant. I dont know what the solution is guys.

FYI, my family is part of life time members. We would all GLADLY give up what we have for the betterment of MSU. In any sport.
    Honestly, I don't think you should HAVE to go through the trouble to give someone else a ticket. That's another good thing about the general admission policy. You simply find an empty seat.

Like I said, 90% of the bleacher crowd ultimately ends up in the grandstand now anyway. Why not just put them there in the first inning instead of the fifth?

I'm glad you mentioned that you are a lieftime member because I have never run across one. Can you tell us some of the specifics of the contract and what it says? Do you have an estimate of how many fans are lifetime members?

vCash
    I can give you exact numbers.

We paid 500 per seat for a lifetime seat. We got our names on them and all we had to do was buy season tickets every year. So basically a one time 500 fee. We use to have our names on them and then in 2010, they ripped the seats out and didnt put name plates back. we moved bc white trash had surrounded us.

But basically it was 500 per seat and all you had to do was renew your season ticket every year. Stupid. Still have them and we would gladly give them up for people that pay more money and want a nice DNF.

vCash
    You can't drink beer in the grandstand....
    DSMB

vCash
    I like the idea of a cover forthr bleachers and force those people into the chairs for televised games. It's has to be something thy can deploy quickly though. If the ticket puncher has <8,000 people, cram them in. If its more you probably have to leave the bleachers open.

vCash
    I can give you exact numbers.

We paid 500 per seat for a lifetime seat. We got our names on them and all we had to do was buy season tickets every year. So basically a one time 500 fee. We use to have our names on them and then in 2010, they ripped the seats out and didnt put name plates back. we moved bc white trash had surrounded us.

But basically it was 500 per seat and all you had to do was renew your season ticket every year. Stupid. Still have them and we would gladly give them up for people that pay more money and want a nice DNF.
    The cost was based on the location of seat. When it was built box seats were 1k next level 500 as you said then some were $250. Now of someone doesn't buy there seats now the seats are resold but none at $250. The demand isn't there to reseat as Todd stated it would just piss more off, I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I like the idea of a cover forthr bleachers and force those people into the chairs for televised games. It's has to be something thy can deploy quickly though. If the ticket puncher has <8,000 people, cram them in. If its more you probably have to leave the bleachers open.
    Yes, that would have to be coordinated. But really, based on the games that I have gone to, which were the LSU and Florida series with 8K plus- there was still plenty of room in the grandstand. There would not have been a need to take the tarps off, and those are two of our higher drawing series thus far.

A regional or SR, they should know to just go ahead and take the tarps off. That's a common sense move- I know, scary.

But we do need a contingency plan in place in case the tarps need to come off quickly. Like if 65% of the season ticket holders show up, they take the tarps off. I'm hoping that a tarp can come off in under 30 minutes, but I have no idea if that's realistic for taking a tarp off of a bleacher.

vCash

If you're having trouble in the fall getting rid of these. Give me a shout. I'll gladly take them off your hand.

vCash
    On topic: I was disappointed when I saw the grandstand last night. Pitiful. For any games that start after 6pm, they need to open the grandstand after the 3rd. If you're not there by 7:30, you probably aren't coming. Announce that the grandstand is open to all patrons more than once too. At the end of each half inning or each inning would be good.

vCash
    Something has to be done about parking for baseball.

Got on campus approx at 6 PM and it took 25 minutes to find a parking space and finally found spot where Suttle once existed. I am thinking there will be a huge crowd at the game. Get there and the stands are half full. What the hell?

Some extremely poor planning by someone. You want people at the game at least make it fan friendly.

Start with moving the RV parking elsewhere. Where, I don't care.