Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSU Baseball Omaha Third Times a Charm Thoughts

vCash

MSU Baseball Omaha Third Times a Charm Thoughts

I was fortunate enough to be there and like I told the guy next to me it still feels good to win and go to Omaha. Never gets old.

Now for the wet blanket- I don't think we have the team to win it all this year. BUT I like where our program is headed. This team is like Cohen's 2011 team. It's kind of a collection of players from different staffs but they're gritty and they play hard and they have some talent.

The reason I don't think we will win is because of our starting pitching. We have got to get better outings out of MacLeoud and Bednar period. Harding gutted it out although I think one of his runs could have been possibly avoided if he had been throwing on the side while we were scoring six runs on them in that long inning. Landon Sims was outstanding other than his mistake to Niko. Sims really is fun to watch. Just absolutely electric stuff and he attacks hitters unlike every other pitcher on the staff. Simmons disappointed me. Preston did OK- not sure why Foxhall had a mound meeting after he get strike one on a guy and appeared to be in a groove and then next pitch Johnson gets ripped. Brandon Smith and Chase Patrick weren't great either. Cade Smith looked very promising. I don't think most of our pitchers fit Foxhall's philosophy of pitching up in the zone and that's why we give up so many home runs- and also why we get so many strike outs. I do think that the guys he is bringing in like Smith and Fristoe do fit that mold but they have to just mature as pitchers and they will in time.

Logan Tanner is a future first round pick in 2022. Enjoy him while he is here. I wouldn't be shocked if he hits 20 home runs next year. And clutch too! Game winning home run in game one and then his home run in game three took the wind out of their sails and set off the Dude effect in full force. And he shuts down the running game completely as well. Our corner infield is scary defensively. But we need Kam James and Luke Hancock's bats in the line up. I think Kam will be in the outfield next year and Hancock will be back at DH. Hancock is more of a contact guy even though his batting average is down and he hit 10 home runs. He usually has good at bats though. Kam is still a work in progress and I think he takes off next year once he finds a position and gets even more AB's. Forsyth held his own defensively even though he isn't ready at the plate. He's going to be a good player for us. Dubrule has been solid even though I would have liked to have seen him hit over .300 for us.

TA and Rowdey are special players and they both played like it this SR. Both had big catches in the OF that killed momentum for Notre Dame and both hit big home runs. Rowdey I think went O-for and still scored a run and drove in one in game three. Both have delivered all year long. Brad Cumbest has had a nice year. He's starting for us next year. Kellum Clark may have been another guy to hit 10 home runs for us had he been healthy early in the year. Another guy with a bright future for MSU. I think he's probably an outfielder because that's where we have been playing him instead of first or third where we need help as well.

I have been to every MSU regional/SR championship game since 1985 and that atmosphere was by far the best and craziest I have ever experienced at Dudy Noble. The fans absolutely brought it all series long. And Notre Dame was stupid for saying that they were going to come in here and go 2-0 because they had a "chip on their shoulder". What an idiot. Reminded me of when Clemson was mad that they didn't host in 2007. Pretty much the same result. I think the new stadium us more electric than the old one. I'm not sure why. I remember people being afraid of that not being the case when we changed over. It's awesome to see what our program has become. And thank you Greg Byrne and John Cohen for saving MSU baseball and thanks Cohen for bringing in the right guy in Chris Lemonis. I really can't wait to see what he does when he gets "his" guys in. Gentlemen get second and third mortgages on your trailer and sell your wife's boyfriend's prosthetic legs because I have a feeling we're going to Omaha a lot more. This is just the beginning.

vCash
    We can beat everyone in Omaha. This team may be the team to win it. We had some teams that should have won it and didn't and so it's only fitting that a team we doubt will be the one that finally gets it.

vCash
    Good stuff, Todd. By the way, has anybody ever seen Kellum Clark and the guy from "We're the Millers" at the same time? Pretty sure they're the same guy.

vCash
    I'm going to hope for the best and expect the worst, seems to be the best way to remain sane as a State fan.

vCash
    What are you guys thinking for next year? If Todd is right about Clark and Kam, then it could be this....

Outfield:
    Cumbest
    Clark
    James
    I don't think James will be in the outfield. We would have no true CF'er with that group in my opinion.

Infield:
    Forsythe
    ?
    ?
    ?
    Tanner
    I'd like to see Kam and Clark be corner infielders. I don't think we give up on Kam at 3rd...I know some will think I'm nuts saying that.

Pitching:
    Fristoe
    Hooty?
    Sims
    Cade Smith
    Simmons
    Stinnett
    Who am I forgetting?

I actually wasn't disappointed in Simmons like you were. Notre Dame was a fast ball hitting machine. Simmons should have stuck with the hook bc they weren't touching it. Coaches should have quit calling for the heater. But his locating and ability to bounce back amd finish that inning was big in my opinion. Striking out Niko on a fastball after getting several smoked showed that he wasn't scared or a mental midget like some of our other pitchers (like the Canadian)
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 06-16-2021 at 12:48 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    What are you guys thinking for next year? If Todd is right about Clark and Kam, then it could be this....

Outfield:
    Cumbest
    Clark
    James
    I don't think James will be in the outfield. We would have no true CF'er with that group in my opinion.

Infield:
    Forsythe
    ?
    ?
    ?
    Tanner
    I'd like to see Kam and Clark be corner infielders. I don't think we give up on Kam at 3rd...I know some will think I'm nuts saying that.

Pitching:
    Fristoe
    Hooty?
    Sims
    Cade Smith
    Simmons
    Stinnett
    Who am I forgetting?

I actually wasn't disappointed in Simmons like you were. Notre Dame was a fast ball hitting machine. Simmons should have stuck with the hook bc they weren't touching it. Coaches should have quit calling for the heater. But his locating and ability to bounce back amd finish that inning was big in my opinion. Striking out Niko on a fastball after getting several smoked showed that he wasn't scared or a mental midget like some of our other pitchers (like the Canadian)
    Bednar?? Is he returning?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Bednar?? Is he returning?
    I think Bednar will leave, although he could greatly benefit his draft stock with another year as our Ace. But I'll defer to Todd and others on that. Is MacLeod gone?

vCash
    I think Bednar will leave, although he could greatly benefit his draft stock with another year as our Ace. But I'll defer to Todd and others on that. Is MacLeod gone?
    Bednar will probably be a first rounder in this draft.

vCash
    I agree that this isn't our most talented team to ever make it, but I was talking to some buddies last night and we all agreed that this might be the team to get it done. There's not one team in this field that I don't think we match up well with and can beat. We've already beaten Texas and did it very convincingly.....I'd imagine they're having some sleepless nights thinking about what Landon Sims did to them. He absolutely shoved it. And with UT....well I think our team will be plenty fired up to play that one. We go 2 and 0 and have Harding waiting for whoever makes it out and get past that and hopefully we get Vandy. We have plenty of unfinished business with those boys.

Again, it's not our most talented team but the bracket is set up really well for them as long as we keep winning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I agree that this isn't our most talented team to ever make it, but I was talking to some buddies last night and we all agreed that this might be the team to get it done. There's not one team in this field that I don't think we match up well with and can beat. We've already beaten Texas and did it very convincingly.....I'd imagine they're having some sleepless nights thinking about what Landon Sims did to them. He absolutely shoved it. And with UT....well I think our team will be plenty fired up to play that one. We go 2 and 0 and have Harding waiting for whoever makes it out and get past that and hopefully we get Vandy. We have plenty of unfinished business with those boys.

Again, it's not our most talented team but the bracket is set up really well for them as long as we keep winning.
    I agree with everything except I don’t want Vandy. Only due to that insufferable whistling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Bednar will probably be a first rounder in this draft.
    Really? Interesting. I wouldn't have thought he had done enough this year to warrant that, but I guess potential plays a big role as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    I agree with everything except I don’t want Vandy. Only due to that insufferable whistling.
    The chance to shut that mouth breather up is worth the risk.

Banned
    vCash
    I am sure our coaches and players know they have the tools in place to win it all. I share their confidence as a fan.

vCash
    Really? Interesting. I wouldn't have thought he had done enough this year to warrant that, but I guess potential plays a big role as well.
    I wonder if his brother pitching for the Pirates gives him any bump in draft status. He has a nasty slider and throws it consistently around 95. He is about what Dakota Hudson was but just not as polished as Dakota was as a junior.

vCash
    I think this team wins it all because no one has thought they?d win all year. We have pages of threads of people doubting them and yet they made it to Omaha. No people are expecting nothing out of them in Omaha, which to me means they might just win it all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Preston did OK- not sure why Foxhall had a mound meeting after he get strike one on a guy and appeared to be in a groove and then next pitch Johnson gets ripped.
    The first thing I thought of was when Stans called timeout after Barry Stewart's made first FT late in the SEC tournament against UGA. Iced him and he missed the 2nd one.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post

If you start our 2-0 you have enough days between games to start the game 1 starter again. Also the days off can allow you to extend Sims a little more in game 1, if needed to lock up the W. Will get at least a days rest.

The CWS game schedule sets up well for this staff, if they stop giving free passes and the offense comes to play. The only kicker is the championship series if we get that far. Need to hope for an early Vandy exit to increase the odds.

ETA. Whenever Cumbest gets a little more upward finish in his swing, he’s going to start taking people out in the LFL. Dude has the highest exit velo I saw in any post season games. He hits lasers and when his swing evolves, he will be a 20+ HR guy easy.
    Last edited by RougeDawg; 06-16-2021 at 06:51 PM.

vCash
    So with the gap in play, would that allow us to use Hooty from the pen in Game 1 or 2? When would Game 3 be if we fall into the losers bracket?

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    So with the gap in play, would that allow us to use Hooty from the pen in Game 1 or 2? When would Game 3 be if we fall into the losers bracket?
    Pretty sure there are days off on each side of the bracket until next weekend. Can rest pitchers a lot. Helped UCLA get to championship when they beat us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Pretty sure there are days off on each side of the bracket until next weekend. Can rest pitchers a lot. Helped UCLA get to championship when they beat us.
    Would be a game changer if we were able to use Harding first out of the pen behind Bednar. Then we could use Johnson out of the pen behind MacLeod game 2, and come back with Harding game 3 if enough time between games