Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soak this is up...

vCash
    I'm glad to have Lemonis, he's obviously a great coach. Doesn't make him perfect though. But he is pulling the right strings at the right time. I thought he should have been starting Harding over Fristoe for awhile now, but who really knows why he waited so long. Fristoe was really good for most of the season, and Harding didn't fare much better in a couple of opportunities he was given to pull away. I think that's a settled question now though.

I also got super nervous when he brought Sims in so early last night. But, it was the right decision (again). It got sketchy, but he knew he needed his best arm out there to let us hang on. It was a SUPER ballsy move when you really think about it, but it was the right move.

He's tinkered with things all year, and he really got it all just right exactly in time to make a post season run. He's done a GREAT job coaching this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    So many people just don't understand the game of baseball. It's different than any other sport. Can't bring your football mentality to baseball doesn't work. Lemonis is a dang good coach and the players respond to him. He's like a great jockey who knows when to use the whip!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Commercecomet24 again.

vCash
    Yep baseball is a constant chess match and patience is required. Games are long and seasons are long. The best baseball coaches are the ones that see moves ahead and play the long game. Reactionary doesn't play well as a baseball coach
    Agree 100%.

I wonder if DVH wishes he would have "developed" more pitching down the stretch so that Arky wasn't so "thin" against the better teams in America at season's end? But kudos to Kevin Kopps, who definitely had an electric year but is now sitting at home as the short-game was chosen by DVH.

I wonder if Bianco wishes he would've pulled Hoglund in earlier innings to maybe not wear his arm out but to also "develop" more pitching for the better teams in America at season's end? But kudos to Nikhazy, who definitely had an electric year but is now sitting at home as the short-game was chosen by Bianco.

I wonder if Manieri wishes he would've not pitched Jaden Hill so much early in the season when winning every game really didn't matter, which came at the expense of not developing additional pitching. Again, the short-game was chosen by Manieri.

I like to think that by Lemonis & Foxhall choosing to play the long game with our pitching staff, we've develop our pitching so that we can make a run... we'll see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    Agree 100%.

I wonder if DVH wishes he would have "developed" more pitching down the stretch so that Arky wasn't so "thin" against the better teams in America at season's end? But kudos to Kevin Kopps, who definitely had an electric year but is now sitting at home as the short-game was chosen by DVH.

I wonder if Bianco wishes he would've pulled Hoglund in earlier innings to maybe not wear his arm out but to also "develop" more pitching for the better teams in America at season's end? But kudos to Nikhazy, who definitely had an electric year but is now sitting at home as the short-game was chosen by Bianco.

I wonder if Manieri wishes he would've not pitched Jaden Hill so much early in the season when winning every game really didn't matter, which came at the expense of not developing additional pitching. Again, the short-game was chosen by Manieri.

I like to think that by Lemonis & Foxhall choosing to play the long game with our pitching staff, we've develop our pitching so that we can make a run... we'll see.
    This is the one thing I never understood. I know you don't like to lose any games, but your bullpen needs work in high leverage situations and no one in their bullpen was ever put in that situation at any point in the season. Anytime there was trouble they'd just put in Kopps. I wouldn't fault Van Horn for starting Kopps on Sunday, I'd fault him for not developing anyone else over the past 3 months that you could trust to get you 4-5 innings where you could then go to Kopps later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    And another thing to remember.. Thank you Greg Byrne and Dr Fogelsong.

We would never be where we are as an athletics department if not for those two changing the university from the old guard. (LT and Polk)

This needs to NEVER EVER be forgotten!!! It should be pinned at the top of the board. Let us never forget.

vCash
    Agree 100%.

Tony Larussa called this "long vision" and only the elite mangers have it.

vCash
    Tony Larussa called this "long vision" and only the elite mangers have it.
    Guess he needs to use that long vision to find himself a ride home…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Guess he needs to use that long vision to find himself a ride home…
    Awesome! Not a Larussa fan at all,but I heard him talking about this one time
    and mentioned Bobby Cox, Joe Torre and Jim Leyland as having that.

Banned
    vCash
    Awesome! Not a Larussa fan at all,but I heard him talking about this one time
    and mentioned Bobby Cox, Joe Torre and Jim Leyland as having that.
    I miss seeing Leland sneaking smokes in the dugout.

vCash
    Agree 100%.

That's why we sometimes lose to a mid major like Kent State or Belmont early in the year and those schools tend to not do that as often. Yeah we could leave someone in like Bednar for 120 and get a win over Tulane in February but we would pay for it in June. Teams can afford a few early "bad" losses because in the SEC there is time to make it up. Especially when you win 20 SEC games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That's why we sometimes lose to a mid major like Kent State or Belmont early in the year and those schools tend to not do that as often. Yeah we could leave someone in like Bednar for 120 and get a win over Tulane in February but we would pay for it in June. Teams can afford a few early "bad" losses because in the SEC there is time to make it up. Especially when you win 20 SEC games.
    Yeah and I don't understand why some of these other coaches don't get it. To win in postseason baseball it always comes down to pitching depth, always at any level and yet some of these guys refuse to take their lumps early to develop that depth. Everyone one of these good teams lose because they run out of pitching.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    The several posts yesterday about Lemonis being a shitty coach are something, though...really makes one wince. The kind of broken brain'ness that can't be explained by science, lol.

The dude has taken us to back-to-back CWS's as back-to-back national seeds. Not only that, but he did it his way this year (I don't think anyone can argue with that): Using the much hated "shift", the "babying" of pitchers, the not yanking guys when he should, the not pitching Sims to win against Mizzou/SC, being run-ruled in the SECT (Oh God, will we ever recover from that embarrassment?*), etc., etc., etc.

The guy knows what he's doing, and "lucky to have him" doesn't really encapsulate it, lol.
    Outstanding post brother
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Chris Lemonis is the rare coach who has a good feel for the pace of the game and his players while also being in tune with the analytics of the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    And yet everybody and there brother is an expert because they made the 8 yr old all star team outta mineral springs back in 87?

Only thing worse than second guessers in baseball are college umps!
    It was the 9 yr. old team from Hatchie Creek in '89!!! Only team to bring home a regional title!!! We stole on every pitch after it crossed the plate, so yeah - I'd say we know a little something about baseball. It's called playing "small" ball - ever heard of it???***