Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
This is interesting to me. You'd think as Tennis has become more accessible, there'd be a stronger field, even as its popularity dropped some.

But even if the field were strong, I'm not sure anybody is going to be able to get mainstream credit now the way they might deserve. I couldn't pick Nadal or Federer or Djokovic out of a lineup. Connors and Macenroe and Agassi and Sampras were pop figures. Some of that may just be that the stars aren't american anymore. I guess Andy Rodick got a good number of endorsements and exposure for a guy that wasn't winning majors with one exception.
Interest has fallen off. Not many "rockstars" like Agassi, or whack jobs like Mac. Joker does have a little Mac in him at least. It's gotten less sensational but the play is better. Just a thin pool of talent overall and no Americans anymore. The Women's game is headed that way too, with Williams just about finished. Rivalries are almost dead all over tennis. Not many "bad vs good" either. It's a little sad to me.