Thread: OT: Novak Djokovic will be considered the GOAT when it's all said and done

vCash

OT: Novak Djokovic will be considered the GOAT when it's all said and done

Personally I think he already is.

vCash
    He will not be considered the goat. It's like someone said, he's Larry Holmes following Mohammad Ali. Nobody likes him either. But he's certainly one of the best. I don't have a problem saying he's the best or just one of the best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    He will not be considered the goat. It's like someone said, he's Larry Holmes following Mohammad Ali. Nobody likes him either. But he's certainly one of the best.
    Djoker owned Federer. Federer dominated before the other two were on the scene. Beating Andy Roddick a bunch isn't exactly special.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post
    Djoker owned Federer. Federer dominated before the other two were on the scene. Beating Andy Roddick a bunch isn't exactly special.
    I don't disagree with you. I think he's great. But because people don't like him, he doesn't get the credit he deserves. He's going to end up with more majors than anyone, by a decent margin. Hard to argue.

vCash
    He will not be considered the goat. It's like someone said, he's Larry Holmes following Mohammad Ali. Nobody likes him either. But he's certainly one of the best. I don't have a problem saying he's the best or just one of the best.
    This. Joker lacks likability. He is one of the greats but he?s not beloved like Fed or Nadal so he won?t be mentioned as passionately. Joker beat those two at the end of their careers and now he has no one to make him be great. No great rival for him.

vCash
    Nadal doesn't even make my top 5 or more. He did his damage in France and not much anywhere else. I'm not sure the men's game is real strong now either. These old dudes are still winning.

vCash
    Most tennis people I know hate DJ. They call him a whiner but they loved Mac. Me I'm not a tennis person but the only reason I watch tennis is because of Dj.

vCash
    Nadal doesn't even make my top 5 or more. He did his damage in France and not much anywhere else.
    That's not a fair assessment. In "non-French" majors Nadal and Federer are tied at 4 wins H2H. Of course Nadal smokes him and everyone else in Paris.

vCash
    That's not a fair assessment. In "non-French" majors Nadal and Federer are tied at 4 wins H2H. Of course Nadal smokes him and everyone else in Paris.
    What is it? Like 17 of his majors are French? That's crazy.

vCash
    What is it? Like 17 of his majors are French? That's crazy.
    13 French
    1 Australian
    2 Wimbledon
    4 US Open

You look at a guy like Pete Sampras that never even reached the French final match and it says a lot for what the big 3 have done.

vCash
    13 French
    1 Australian
    2 Wimbledon
    4 US Open

You look at a guy like Pete Sampras that never even reached the French final match and it says a lot for what the big 3 have done.
    +1
    I enjoy Wimbledon. Have since I was little kid watching Bjorn Borg, Mac, Connor, etc. it's what got me into it. I hated Fed to start with because he bored me a little. Not really a fiery guy or power guy. But he's a technician and on grass he's something else. French would be behind Wimbledon for me.
    I've had to learn to like Joker. You have to appreciate his total game. He was a power guy that developed into more.

vCash
    Nadal doesn't even make my top 5 or more. He did his damage in France and not much anywhere else. I'm not sure the men's game is real strong now either. These old dudes are still winning.
    This is interesting to me. You'd think as Tennis has become more accessible, there'd be a stronger field, even as its popularity dropped some.

But even if the field were strong, I'm not sure anybody is going to be able to get mainstream credit now the way they might deserve. I couldn't pick Nadal or Federer or Djokovic out of a lineup. Connors and Macenroe and Agassi and Sampras were pop figures. Some of that may just be that the stars aren't american anymore. I guess Andy Rodick got a good number of endorsements and exposure for a guy that wasn't winning majors with one exception.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    This is interesting to me. You'd think as Tennis has become more accessible, there'd be a stronger field, even as its popularity dropped some.

But even if the field were strong, I'm not sure anybody is going to be able to get mainstream credit now the way they might deserve. I couldn't pick Nadal or Federer or Djokovic out of a lineup. Connors and Macenroe and Agassi and Sampras were pop figures. Some of that may just be that the stars aren't american anymore. I guess Andy Rodick got a good number of endorsements and exposure for a guy that wasn't winning majors with one exception.
    Interest has fallen off. Not many "rockstars" like Agassi, or whack jobs like Mac. Joker does have a little Mac in him at least. It's gotten less sensational but the play is better. Just a thin pool of talent overall and no Americans anymore. The Women's game is headed that way too, with Williams just about finished. Rivalries are almost dead all over tennis. Not many "bad vs good" either. It's a little sad to me.

vCash
    Personally I think he already is.
    Probably so.

vCash
    Nah, too much of an asshole. You see him get dq'd for hitting the ball towards the side or back wall last year? Hit a linesperson in the neck.

vCash
    +1
    I enjoy Wimbledon. Have since I was little kid watching Bjorn Borg, Mac, Connor, etc. it's what got me into it. I hated Fed to start with because he bored me a little. Not really a fiery guy or power guy. But he's a technician and on grass he's something else. French would be behind Wimbledon for me.
    I've had to learn to like Joker. You have to appreciate his total game. He was a power guy that developed into more.
    Same here. Became a huge Borg fan. I started playing tennis then too.

Joker is the GOAT IMO. He's only guy in modern era to win the Career Slam twice. Fed, Nadal, and Agassi have all done it once. Laver & Emerson also did it twice.

He's also one of 2 players to beat Nadal at Roland Garros (he's done that twice too).

Joker is Agassi with a bigger serve and better net play.

vCash
    Saw where a tennis player at William Carey was Joker's practice competition before the semis. Got selected because he was left-handed.