This weekend. Start hydrating today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Wow, that happened quick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    That seems like it will be great for us. Not for the fans so much, but surely the team will be more prepared for that than ND.

ETA: Well, I guess that ignores how it will impact how far the balls travel. That may work against us.

vCash
    Anyone remember the Stanford engineer a couple of years ago that told us the ball travels further in the cold weather than the hot. I'm thinking it was on this site but I may be wrong.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Anyone remember the Stanford engineer a couple of years ago that told us the ball travels further in the cold weather than the hot. I'm thinking it was on this site but I may be wrong.
    Balls travel farther in hot air. Hot air is less dense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
    Balls travel farther in hot air. Hot air is less dense.
    I've forgotten his rationale for making that statement. Had something to do with humidity but yeah from my days playing both baseball and golfing there's no doubt the ball travels further in the heat.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    The Ideal Gas Law states that when temperature goes up, air density goes down (all else being equal).

vCash
    Hot air gases expand and become less dense. Makes balls fly further.

vCash
    I personally don't see it, but that is what the weather guy said

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    I've forgotten his rationale for making that statement. Had something to do with humidity but yeah from my days playing both baseball and golfing there's no doubt the ball travels further in the heat.
    Was he arguing that the balls absorbed moisture and became less bouncy? That's something I've been seen claimed before. The place I saw it either claimed the Rockies could (or maybe even claimed that they actually did) keep their balls in basically a humidor set to keep humidity high to reduce the number of home runs at their stadium.

ETA: And that effect supposedly outweighs the effect of having humidity in the air (which also makes the air less dense b/c water vapor will be less dense than what it is displacing, which seems intuitively wrong to me; seems like humid air would be denser).
    Last edited by Johnson85; 06-11-2021 at 02:22 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Was he arguing that the balls absorbed moisture and became less bouncy? That's something I've been seen claimed before. The place I saw it either claimed the Rockies could (or maybe even claimed that they actually did) keep their balls in basically a humidor set to keep humidity high to reduce the number of home runs at their stadium.

ETA: And that effect supposedly outweighs the effect of having humidity in the air (which also makes the air less dense b/c water vapor will be less dense than what it is displacing, which seems intuitively wrong to me; seems like humid air would be denser).
    Mol wt of water is 18 vs 29 for air

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post

I can't recall to be honest......I'm sure the thread is still out there though......Would've been roughly two years ago........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    Wow, that happened quick.
    Indeed it did. Just a couple weeks ago it was nice and cool with 40s in the mornings.

Our team might withstand it a little better, but nobody really gets used to a 108 heat index. That's dangerously hot regardless of where you are.

vCash
    I haven't seen any models showing it that high. The NAM3k was the most ambitious with indexes around 102 or so. Most were keeping it in the upper 90's. The main concern will be dodging storms. Hopefully, we get tomorrow's game in before the storms get cranked up. Some storms tomorrow could be on the severe side.

vCash
    It is going to be brutal on the starting pitchers today. 5-6 innings tops. I hope our bullpen is ready ready.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    It is going to be brutal on the starting pitchers today. 5-6 innings tops. I hope our bullpen is ready ready.
    5 to 6 innings? Hell, we'd kill for that! The problem is if a storm hits during the game and we have to pull Bednar early.

vCash
    It looks like we will be delayed if this radar holds.

vCash
    Heat index is already 100 per my weather app. Steamy.

vCash
    Officially at the GTR airport it's 90 with a heat index of 105 at 1 p.m. Humidity is 68%. That's pretty brutal.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...0#.YMT7wS9h0nU

vCash
    Now 108.