• Irish in 2

2 2.44%
  • Irish in 3

14 17.07%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird vibe among State fans about the Notre Dame series

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Super uneasy here. This will be over in 2 either way though. Our guys are just so inconsistent it's hard to know which way to go.
    Generally we play well when the competition is up and stakes are high.

We are a let down threat at other times but not this week. I think we will get very big game focus cause ND can beat MSU and because Omaha is the prize.

Plus, school is out, maybe the dead campus atmosphere helps the team stay focused better. MSU is historically a non pushover in regionals, even when badly overmatched. I cannot recall a low energy super for MSU. Versus Arizona and 89-UNC the tension was too high, maybe.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 06-09-2021 at 12:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    ND hits 1.36 Hr/game. Here's the list of teams we've played that have hit more per game: ark, auburn, TT, vandy, LSU, tenn, and SC.
    If we just walk or junk ball the big boy, Niko Kavadas then 50% of the threat is gone.

He’s 250 lbs, put him on 1st and get a DP with the next guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Actually you have it just a little backward, I think we need the bottom of the order to get going again as this is what turns the tables for the top of the order. Hey fact is we gotta hit, play clean D, limit walks and get our starting pitcher to go 6. LOL, pretty simple.
    While I agree with you.. I don't believe the bottom half is gonna magically start putting up anything special. but yes they need to do their part.. walks.. singles. taking pitches and getting the count up..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    While I agree with you.. I don't believe the bottom half is gonna magically start putting up anything special. but yes they need to do their part.. walks.. singles. taking pitches and getting the count up..
    Mule and Clark will be ok, I just hope Forsyth gets a few hits and maybe a walk or two. Mule and Clark had two good games this past weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Mule and Clark will be ok, I just hope Forsyth gets a few hits and maybe a walk or two. Mule and Clark had two good games this past weekend.
    If Forsyth gets 3 base hits this weekend, I would bet a lot of money we win. It would be huge.

vCash
    People are scared because Notre Dame is coming in here with an axe to grind, and they demolished their regional opponents. Our starting pitchers are also really frustrating and get themselves into trouble and give up home runs.

We absolutely cannot issue any walks or make fielding errors.
    Last edited by Dawg2003; 06-09-2021 at 08:19 PM.

vCash
    dominaNt

I feel strongly both ways

vCash
    Forsythe should armor up and crowd the plate. His goal should be to try to force the pitcher to throw as many pitches as possible. He should be taking until he gets 2 strikes, and anything over 4 pitches should be considered a win. If he gets plunked or walks that's gravy

vCash
    So far a majority of the votes have State winning but in 3 games. That seems fair since we are the slightly higher seed and playing in our park, yet ND has been hotter of late. So it makes sense that people feel like we squeak out a tight series but ND gets a game. I'd take that in a heartbeat. I know if we do win, it will not happen without us all losing years of f of our lives bc we 100% will not make it easy.

vCash
    The problem this team has had this entire year is simply no leadership. These guys party and it?s the older more experienced players leading the way. Got several kids who tell me every weekend what?s happening in the bar scene in regards to bball players, and they are partying. Could this team be better with more focus and attention to what?s really important?.sure! We would have swept Mizzou with any team in the past 5 years bc of leadership. The egos are huge and the selfishness, arrogance is just as big. I know this first hand, but I still want us to kill it. Just don?t think we have the full talent and leadership necessary to get it done this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    The problem this team has had this entire year is simply no leadership. These guys party and it?s the older more experienced players leading the way. Got several kids who tell me every weekend what?s happening in the bar scene in regards to bball players, and they are partying. Could this team be better with more focus and attention to what?s really important?.sure! We would have swept Mizzou with any team in the past 5 years bc of leadership. The egos are huge and the selfishness, arrogance is just as big. I know this first hand, but I still want us to kill it. Just don?t think we have the full talent and leadership necessary to get it done this year.
    I think we lack maturity in general.

vCash
    I think the concerns people have with Notre Dame are legit. We give up too many home runs and try to live up in the zone.

We just need to hope that the MSU that showed up for the regional shows up this week for the SR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    The team dynamics that caused the Mizzou debacle hurts us most during the grind of the season or while playing Eastern Michigan. However, At this point, that weakness is irrelevant. You now have 14 teams with the same elite players and elite baseball culture. Save Dallas Baptist and South Florida maybe are Cinderella teams. Tennessee has a special hunger it seems.

I would love to have a Burke Masters and Jake Mangum on the team, but we don’t have that. That said, we are probably not at the bottom for intangibles but we are at the top of fan support. That’s something.

When I was an MSU student, the team was good, they had 2 Omahas and several historically great players. But these were some partying and popular dudes. But Good lads, bright and admirable. I took classes with some future MLB guys. Smart guys.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 06-10-2021 at 02:22 AM.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Forsythe should armor up and crowd the plate. His goal should be to try to force the pitcher to throw as many pitches as possible. He should be taking until he gets 2 strikes, and anything over 4 pitches should be considered a win. If he gets plunked or walks that's gravy
    If Forsyth could go to the plate without holding a bat then that would be great.
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    If Forsyth doesn’t field that missile in the 9th and throw him out last weekend we probably aren’t even playing in a Super.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    If Forsyth doesn’t field that missile in the 9th and throw him out last weekend we probably aren’t even playing in a Super.
    Yep. That's why nobody is saying "take him out of the lineup" haha. He's money in the field, I just wish he could provide something, anything, this weekend at the plate. I was disappointed he couldn't get a bunt down last weekend. I mean, if you're K'ing at the rate he is, you'd think he would focus on things like his bunting so he can add some offensive value. Maybe he's just snake bit right now....this weekend would be a great time for him to find a few hits and some confidence

vCash
    A big key this weekend will be the bottom of our lineup being patient at the plate. Cumbest and Clark need to look for their pitch. Notre Dame isn't looking for strikeouts so the pitches will be there. Just have to have patience. We need people on base when Rowdey and TA come up.