Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leach recruiting

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash

Leach recruiting

This staff seems to be recruiting very well. I?m wondering what has happened. Leach has notably not been a great recruiter at his other stops. Here however he really seems to be recruiting well. Better than both Mullen and Moorhead it seems. What do we attribute this to? Opinions?
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    This staff seems to be recruiting very well. I?m wondering what has happened. Leach has notably not been a great recruiter at his other stops. Here however he really seems to be recruiting well. Better than both Mullen and Moorhead it seems. What do we attribute this to? Opinions?
    Leach recruited to real nowhere schools and not the SEC - that's the difference. Even then, he normally recruited better at TT and WSU than other coaches had done previously or done since.
    Guy can recruit and has a team of coaches that seem to get it.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Sometimes it's the land not the man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Sometimes it's the land not the man.
    This^^^^

vCash
    He has name recognition too. He's Mike ****ing Leach. Him back in the SEC is a bigger deal than most want to admit.

vCash
    I'd hold up at least a little. If you compare our current average, we're still about 25 or so based on last years rankings with a full class. We've got a shot at about top 20 but it'll be tough. More likely 20-25, which is strong still but not some huge difference.

vCash
    Far from the first time it's been said, but if you look at both recruiting and defensive rankings at TTU and WSU before and during Leach's time at each (and after in the case of TTU), you won't see much difference. Like Brunswick said, it's the programs Leach has been at that are responsible for his mediocre reputation in those areas, not his own ability or anything related to it.

vCash
    If, IF they hit on the remaining targets that they are in on, this can possibly be a 15-18 ranked class.

That’s damn DAMN impressive. Pretty sure not many people thought this recent commit was even a possibility so there is always the possibility of a surprise here and there.

vCash
    I'm as pumped as anyone, but I'd also encourage us to slow down a little bit. We do most of our work in the summer, and then it seems like we have to hold on for dear life in December. And it's been like that under Mullen, Moorhead, and then last year with Leach. I don't know why it's that way, but it is.

Now, I will say that what I like about Leach's staff is they seem to have solid back-up plans. If a guy decommitted from us in the past, Mullen would just go pluck a guy off of South Alabama's commit list that wasn't an SEC player. Besides a few of our DB commits last year, most of our backup plans were solid. I think they've got a shot at a top 20 class this year, but they're going to have to hold on to what we get. A commitment means nothing until the pen hits the paper in December/February. I do like what I'm seeing though.

vCash
    Very few recruiters really move the needle that much, especially as head coach. Leach basically recruited where you'd expect at his prior two stops, maybe a little better than you'd expect. The same as he appears to be doing here. As bad as Mullen's reputation was as far as being a recruiter, we basically recruited to our average or a little better while he was here. Maybe if he'd been better he could have capitalized better on some of his success. As big as everybody talked about Moorhead, he basically recruited like Mullen. The big difference being that he actually filled needs for the most part, where as Mullen's staff would often leave gaping holes at a particular position.

vCash
    It seems to me Leach and his staff do a good job of getting good QB's, W/R's an D/B's. I hope he's getting quality OL, DL, and L/B players, because that's where most games seem to be won or lost.

vCash
    Pullman is smaller and more remote than Starkville, and has way, way fewer P5 level prospects nearby. He did about as well recruiting there as anyone could have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    He has name recognition too. He's Mike ****ing Leach. Him back in the SEC is a bigger deal than most want to admit.
    This is a major part of the process

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Very few recruiters really move the needle that much, especially as head coach. Leach basically recruited where you'd expect at his prior two stops, maybe a little better than you'd expect. The same as he appears to be doing here. As bad as Mullen's reputation was as far as being a recruiter, we basically recruited to our average or a little better while he was here. Maybe if he'd been better he could have capitalized better on some of his success. As big as everybody talked about Moorhead, he basically recruited like Mullen. The big difference being that he actually filled needs for the most part, where as Mullen's staff would often leave gaping holes at a particular position.
    I know. What I’m saying is I was thinking most people expected us to take a step back in recruiting with leach
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I'm as pumped as anyone, but I'd also encourage us to slow down a little bit. We do most of our work in the summer, and then it seems like we have to hold on for dear life in December. And it's been like that under Mullen, Moorhead, and then last year with Leach. I don't know why it's that way, but it is.

Now, I will say that what I like about Leach's staff is they seem to have solid back-up plans. If a guy decommitted from us in the past, Mullen would just go pluck a guy off of South Alabama's commit list that wasn't an SEC player. Besides a few of our DB commits last year, most of our backup plans were solid. I think they've got a shot at a top 20 class this year, but they're going to have to hold on to what we get. A commitment means nothing until the pen hits the paper in December/February. I do like what I'm seeing though.
    Bc we are not playing in the same ball park as them if you can understand what im saying.

vCash
    I know. What I’m saying is I was thinking most people expected us to take a step back in recruiting with leach
    You're probably right that most people did, but I am guessing most people here or on sixpack probably did not expect that, because it was discussed pretty early on after his hiring that he recruited at least as well as anybody else did to Texas Tech or WSU.

vCash
    It probably also helps that we actually kept the coaching staff intact. We always lost coaches every year which has to affect recruiting. I know we lost some off the field guys though.

vCash
    Just imagine how recruiting will go if we actually win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Just imagine how recruiting will go if we actually win.
    Based on the past, it won't change that much. BUt maybe that's where Dan's dislike of recruiting showed up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Think how muck better he might have been if he has not been in the bus ticket line after every Alabama game.