Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regional Thoughts

vCash

Regional Thoughts

Adding Cumbest back in the lineup as well as the emergence of Kellum Clark completely changes our lineup. Lot more power throughout- especially with Rowdey and Tanner being close to 10 home run guys themselves. And now Kam James and Logan Tanner are getting hot. Only two players that aren't really power threats are Dubrule and Forsythe.

We hit the ball much better. Playing in the SEC is a meat grinder- but it pays off in the regionals. There just aren't very many SEC caliber pitchers on most 3 and 4 seeds. And then the format forces teams to get into their bullpens. Other than Forsythe we hit the ball pretty well throughout and pretty much everyone contributed.

The thing that I was most pleased with was our overall team defense. I think we had one- maybe two errors that I remember. And that was on a pitcher. Kam James looks much better at third than he did. Forsythe played better. And having Cumbest in LF solidifies our outfield defense.

In short- we're playing our best lineup right now and at the right time. It can be hard to figure that out with so many young and unproven players- plus Clark missed a lot of the year due to illness. This team reminds me of our 2018 team in that regard when Tanner, Rowdey, Westburg, and Foscue were freshmen and we had Mangum and Stovall playing the role that Allen and Rowdey are playing on our current team.

I was also pleased with our baserunning. Only one mistake that I can recall where Rowdey and Clark got mixed up on the bases when Rowdey was trying to stretch a hit into a double but even then he got back. We took extra bases several times and made teams pay for indecision and on in between balls hit in the outfield.

Pitching is the only area I have any concerns about. We don't have the elite Ethan Small, Dakota Hudson, etc. type of guy so that makes it a little more difficult for us. We gave up too many home runs for my liking. Most of those on the starters leaving fastballs or breaking balls up in the zone and yes, one was on MacLeoud after he was at pitch 123 or whatever it was. Bednar and MacLeoud were solid and pitched well enough to win. Preston Johnson struggled some too. But the good news is the rest of the bullpen was very good. Sims didn't have to pitch much. Brandon Smith ate some innings up for us. Stone Simmons and Parker Stinnett have become reliable bullpen options. Lemonis should have started Harding. If he starts Fristoe in a SR we're probably going home. He needs to be shut down and go play some summer baseball and get better and get his confidence back. Mechanically he was a complete mess out there. If we start Harding we take command and probably cruise. I'm unsure why we keep throwing Fristoe lately as his ERA is now about as bad as Cerentola's. So, really the biggest adjustment is just start Harding. And get Preston Johnson right and off we go.

While I'm not sold that this team has what it takes to win a title they definitely have enough to make a nice run. Notre Dame will be tough. They destroyed their competition in their regional and their record on the road is as good as their home record. We're going to have to come to play to beat these guys- as we would anyone else in a SR.

We have now made 5 SR's in a row in what has amounted to be a transitional period for us. The really optimistic thing for me is I think we're going to get even better now that we appear to have some coaching stability. I would not be surprised at all if we have a team similar to Arkansas's by 2023 with what we have and what we are bringing in.

Hail State! See you on Friday!

vCash
    Nice post Todd!

vCash
    Harding right now is on par with Bednar/MacLead right now. His command is pretty good.

I agree about a natty for this team, it's possible but ND will be interesting to see what happens.

The new Dude is just different especially when the weather heats up, the ball flies out of the park now days. Of all the years I have been watching baseball at Dudy, never saw outfielders play as deep like Campbell, I mean just about on the warning track.

What a nice run we have going for being in the Super the last several years, let's hope it continues to the CWS.

Btw, Lemonis is a great fit for Msu baseball, he lets Fox and Gau do there thing while he manages the overall team. I saw him jump up in the 2nd or 3rd inning yesterday and he was getting on someone or the whole team walking down the dugout. He is tough on them but never throws them under the bus in post game interviews. Baseball coaches are the most second guess decision makers in all of sports.

vCash

Harding reminds me of Girodo in a way

I would not start him. I think he is better coming into an in game situation than he is starting. Girodo was that way. Years ago, 1989, we had a guy named Chuck Holly. Great middle inning reliever. We started him in the championship game of the regional against North Carolina and he wasn?t the same.
    What about starting Cade Smith and try to get 2-3 innings from him, then go to Harding?QUOTE=Todd4State;1333169]Adding Cumbest back in the lineup as well as the emergence of Kellum Clark completely changes our lineup. Lot more power throughout- especially with Rowdey and Tanner being close to 10 home run guys themselves. And now Kam James and Logan Tanner are getting hot. Only two players that aren't really power threats are Dubrule and Forsythe.

We hit the ball much better. Playing in the SEC is a meat grinder- but it pays off in the regionals. There just aren't very many SEC caliber pitchers on most 3 and 4 seeds. And then the format forces teams to get into their bullpens. Other than Forsythe we hit the ball pretty well throughout and pretty much everyone co
    The thing that I was most pleased with was our overall team defense. I think we had one- maybe two errors that I remember. And that was on a pitcher. Kam James looks much better at third than he did. Forsythe played better. And having Cumbest in LF solidifies our outfield defense.

In short- we're playing our best lineup right now and at the right time. It can be hard to figure that out with so many young and unproven players- plus Clark missed a lot of the year due to illness. This team reminds me of our 2018 team in that regard when Tanner, Rowdey, Westburg, and Foscue were freshmen and we had Mangum and Stovall playing the role that Allen and Rowdey are playing on our current team.

I was also pleased with our baserunning. Only one mistake that I can recall where Rowdey and Clark got mixed up on the bases when Rowdey was trying to stretch a hit into a double but even then he got back. We took extra bases several times and made teams pay for indecision and on in between balls hit in the outfield.

Pitching is the only area I have any concerns about. We don't have the elite Ethan Small, Dakota Hudson, etc. type of guy so that makes it a little more difficult for us. We gave up too many home runs for my liking. Most of those on the starters leaving fastballs or breaking balls up in the zone and yes, one was on MacLeoud after he was at pitch 123 or whatever it was. Bednar and MacLeoud were solid and pitched well enough to win. Preston Johnson struggled some too. But the good news is the rest of the bullpen was very good. Sims didn't have to pitch much. Brandon Smith ate some innings up for us. Stone Simmons and Parker Stinnett have become reliable bullpen options. Lemonis should have started Harding. If he starts Fristoe in a SR we're probably going home. He needs to be shut down and go play some summer baseball and get better and get his confidence back. Mechanically he was a complete mess out there. If we start Harding we take command and probably cruise. I'm unsure why we keep throwing Fristoe lately as his ERA is now about as bad as Cerentola's. So, really the biggest adjustment is just start Harding. And get Preston Johnson right and off we go.

While I'm not sold that this team has what it takes to win a title they definitely have enough to make a nice run. Notre Dame will be tough. They destroyed their competition in their regional and their record on the road is as good as their home record. We're going to have to come to play to beat these guys- as we would anyone else in a SR.

We have now made 5 SR's in a row in what has amounted to be a transitional period for us. The really optimistic thing for me is I think we're going to get even better now that we appear to have some coaching stability. I would not be surprised at all if we have a team similar to Arkansas's by 2023 with what we have and what we are bringing in.

Hail State! See you on Friday![/QUOTE]

Banned
    vCash
    Thanks Todd, I've been bitchin for Cumbest for a while. Even I can get it right sometimes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Harding right now is on par with Bednar/MacLead right now. His command is pretty good.

I agree about a natty for this team, it's possible but ND will be interesting to see what happens.

The new Dude is just different especially when the weather heats up, the ball flies out of the park now days. Of all the years I have been watching baseball at Dudy, never saw outfielders play as deep like Campbell, I mean just about on the warning track.

What a nice run we have going for being in the Super the last several years, let's hope it continues to the CWS.

Btw, Lemonis is a great fit for Msu baseball, he lets Fox and Gau do there thing while he manages the overall team. I saw him jump up in the 2nd or 3rd inning yesterday and he was getting on someone or the whole team walking down the dugout. He is tough on them but never throws them under the bus in post game interviews. Baseball coaches are the most second guess decision makers in all of sports.
    I really do like Lemonis. It?s always the what seems like underwhelming hires at the time that turn out to be just what was needed. We have a chance as a program to remain at the top for years to come. The Dude is going to be rocking next weekend.

vCash
    The problem with the idea that Harding is better out of the pen is that we have seen him start, and he pitched very well in that role.

And I wouldn't even care if he's better out of the pen, it isn't worth it if not starting him means we're starting from behind already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The problem with the idea that Harding is better out of the pen is that we have seen him start, and he pitched very well in that role.

And I wouldn't even care if he's better out of the pen, it isn't worth it if not starting him means we're starting from behind already.
    I think it’s the Missouri game start that has people concerned. But other than that start he has looked good in both roles. I think he will end being a weekend starter for us next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    I think it’s the Missouri game start that has people concerned. But other than that start he has looked good in both roles. I think he will end being a weekend starter for us next year.
    It's 100% the Missouri start. However, I'm willing to believe that he just had a bad outing in that one because we've seen him start before and he's done well. I imagine he's the starter if it goes to a Game 3.

Another question that will be interesting is who do we start Game 1? I'd lean Bednar because he usually starts Saturday and usually starts day games so I feel like he'll be more acclimated to pitching in warmer conditions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

Start Cade Smith for an inning, or someone else, then bring in Harding. Just done start Fristoe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Start Cade Smith for an inning, or someone else, then bring in Harding. Just done start Fristoe.
    If it gets to a game 3 you honestly could Johnny Wholestaff it until you got into trouble, and by trouble I mean at the first sign of it, and bring in Harding and let him go as long as he can and then go to Sims.

vCash
    Do we have four Freshman in the field and one Freshman as DH? Total of five?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Do we think he'll come back for a fifth year? I'd hope he would since he didn't really get a junior year and is just now establishing his position in the rotation, but just didn't know if we had any indication one way or the other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Agree, start whoever (not Jackson right now) and bring in Harding at first sign of trouble. Harding seems to feed off that, keep it going. At this point, I could go EC and pull fast if necessary. If dominant EC were to show up, ride him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Do we have four Freshman in the field and one Freshman as DH? Total of five?
    By covid eligibility rules, Tanner, James, Forsythe, Clark are Fr. But, James is draft eligible this year, I think he comes back though. Tanner and Clark are eligible next year.

vCash
    Simmons was the Friday night starter for Furman last year. He has starting experience and has thrown well lately. If you don't want to start Harding in a game 3 and Simmons has not be used in games 1-2, he is a solid option. Him or Cade smith.

vCash
    It's a no brainer that IF game 3 is needed you start Harding. He has proven himself, again after watching him Monday and several times this year, he is even or very close to being even with Bednar/MacLead. Striking out the side side with no outs and a man on second and third was the play of the game IMO. 10 K's in 5 plus innings is outstanding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    It's a no brainer that IF game 3 is needed you start Harding. He has proven himself, again after watching him Monday and several times this year, he is even or very close to being even with Bednar/MacLead. Striking out the side side with no outs and a man on second and third was the play of the game IMO. 10 K's in 5 plus innings is outstanding.
    If I knew nothing about Miss State and tuned in and watched that game, I would have thought he was our Friday night starter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Adding Cumbest back in the lineup as well as the emergence of Kellum Clark completely changes our lineup. Lot more power throughout- especially with Rowdey and Tanner being close to 10 home run guys themselves. And now Kam James and Logan Tanner are getting hot. Only two players that aren't really power threats are Dubrule and Forsythe.

We hit the ball much better. Playing in the SEC is a meat grinder- but it pays off in the regionals. There just aren't very many SEC caliber pitchers on most 3 and 4 seeds. And then the format forces teams to get into their bullpens. Other than Forsythe we hit the ball pretty well throughout and pretty much everyone contributed.

Hail State! See you on Friday!
    Baserunning - Cumbest went home on a ball he did not have a chance of scoring.

vCash
    There's no need to figure out who to start before bringing in Harding. Just start Harding. This all stems from some rumor that we think he's better out of the pen, but we have clear data and he's very good in either role. So just start him, there's no need to complicate it.