Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comments by VCU coach on Mac not giving him any credit

vCash

Comments by VCU coach on Mac not giving him any credit

were a little well little league even if it was partly true. Mac took the game back last night pure and simple after throwing 9 balls. If anything, we let them back in it by leaving him in too long in the 6th.

Q: What happened to Mississippi State's starter Christian MacLeod during the third inning that allowed him to get on track?
    SS: "I don't think he got back on track. We let them. We didn't try to execute offensively the entire night, starting with the first inning ? Of those three punch outs or three strikeouts in a row [during the third inning], we probably chased eight balls. That how we started through the first-third of the game."

"We chose to not hit early in the game, and that fed into him. He didn't have a ton of command early. He saw that we were not disciple. He was able to pitch up in the zone, and we kept chasing it. So, it was really more of us letting him off the hook. We had the middle part of our lineup right there. If we'd get two sac flies [during the third inning with runners on second and third with no outs], that game would have been different. That's what I was hoping for ? two sac flies there and maybe that would settle us down. We just couldn't do it."

vCash
    But 22 straight against canisius

vCash
    So coach, how do those Cheerios taste with Mac's piss in the bowl?

vCash
    Him finding the zone again was all a battle with himself mentally - didn't matter what they did.

vCash
    If the roles were reversed, would we be saying what a great job their pitcher did in that situation or what a terrible job our hitters did?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    were a little well little league even if it was partly true. Mac took the game back last night pure and simple after throwing 9 balls. If anything, we let them back in it by leaving him in too long in the 6th.

Q: What happened to Mississippi State's starter Christian MacLeod during the third inning that allowed him to get on track?
    SS: "I don't think he got back on track. We let them. We didn't try to execute offensively the entire night, starting with the first inning ? Of those three punch outs or three strikeouts in a row [during the third inning], we probably chased eight balls. That how we started through the first-third of the game."

"We chose to not hit early in the game, and that fed into him. He didn't have a ton of command early. He saw that we were not disciple. He was able to pitch up in the zone, and we kept chasing it. So, it was really more of us letting him off the hook. We had the middle part of our lineup right there. If we'd get two sac flies [during the third inning with runners on second and third with no outs], that game would have been different. That's what I was hoping for ? two sac flies there and maybe that would settle us down. We just couldn't do it."
    He was channeling his inner Dennis Green. Translation of that is "He was he we thought he was, and we let him off the hook!". Whatever helps you feel better man.

vCash
    I would be saying how terrible our hitters did. I agree with the guy to a certain extent. I don't know if they could've overcome him or not, by his command was iffy. They helped us a lot by swinging at a lot of balls and trying to hit home runs. A good and disciplined team would've probably had mac out of that game by the 3rd inning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If the roles were reversed, would we be saying what a great job their pitcher did in that situation or what a terrible job our hitters did?
    Exactly, as a coach you've gotta tell your team they can overcome; NOT say "that guy was so good we can never hope to hit him", because that tells your team they have a talent ceiling

Moreover, I think his statements were right: VCU DID chase a lot of high pitches (which is what Mac gets every team to do) when they should have been forcing Mac to throw strikes. They weren't selective early in counts and it caused them to get behind. 3 straight Ks with RISP is a thing 100% of fabases would is a failure on their part to get a hit.

vCash
    We won by 50 what he says does not matter much

vCash
    I don't see the big deal here.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    We won by 50 what he says does not matter much
    But Cumbest needs to quit and go play football***... I kid I kid

vCash
    His comments would mean something had we only scored 5 or 6. We scored 16. It don’t matter if they got 2 sac flys or 12. Would not have mattered.

Good luck seeing Harding or Fristoe tonight. Once again, they better have an ace in their ass, cause they gonna need a magic trick to win 2 against us if they make it past the Camels.

They have been propped up by a horrible schedule. Even their all world 3rd baseman looked like shit against Mac. Welcome to big boy baseball...

vCash
    Who cares? We won 16-4. Suck it.

vCash
    I'm not sure what the rub is here. He's 100% right about everything he said.

vCash
    Let me add that the VCU crowd was over confident and a little arrogant going into the gates before the game. It was extremely long lines waiting to get inside the Dude, folks were wrapped around the Hump. Nothing wrong for cheering and feeling good about your team but that 22 straight winning streak made those fans not understand ....Sec Sec Sec..... is way more competitive!

I hope the Campbell Toes put a "humping on them today"!

Damn I'm tired got home at 2;10 am.

vCash
    Didnt he strike out everytime he came to the plate?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whosyourdawgy View Post
    Didnt he strike out everytime he came to the plate?
    Last I remember, he was 1-4 with 3k. He may have gotten another at bat after I went to bed. He didn’t touch a ball against Mac tho. I’m talking fastballs right down the gut.

vCash
    With regards to MacLeod, the VCU coach was not wrong. I thought his hitters chased a lot of high strikes that would have been balls.

SEC/B12/ACC hitters will lay off of these pitches and next thing you know, he's walked 2 batters and game is not going our way. Luckily, last night's game went in our favor.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    I would be saying how terrible our hitters did. I agree with the guy to a certain extent. I don't know if they could've overcome him or not, by his command was iffy. They helped us a lot by swinging at a lot of balls and trying to hit home runs. A good and disciplined team would've probably had mac out of that game by the 3rd inning.
    Yea but that’s the thing. That’s what they do. That’s how they have played all year.

vCash
    He?s right that two sac flies would have changed the game. They would have lost 16-6...