Thread: It's official: Bednar it is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    No. We will be happy it’s not us down 10-8
    Samford couldnt score 10 on us in 18 innings of baseball
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    That was the Tallahassee regional in 2012. That was probably Samford's greatest ever team versus an MSU team that had just won the SECT.

Lost 5-0 in game-1 with Stratton starting. One run was enough to beat Stratton on that day.
    Lost 3-2 in game-3 with Jonathan Holder blowing a save.

That 2012 team had the following major leaguers: Stratton, Woodruff, Holder, Girodo, Frazier, Renfroe, Lindgren, Graveman, and numerous AAA/AA players - they made up for this in 2013 by nearly getting MSU to the promise land.
    If I remember correctly, that 3-2 loss was Cohen's worst managed game in his career. We bunted with slow ass Wes Rea on the bases twice in the first four innings and he was thrown out at home on a squeeze and third base on a sac.

https://msstate_ftp.sidearmsports.co...012/ms0603.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    That was the Tallahassee regional in 2012. That was probably Samford's greatest ever team versus an MSU team that had just won the SECT.

Lost 5-0 in game-1 with Stratton starting. One run was enough to beat Stratton on that day.
    Lost 3-2 in game-3 with Jonathan Holder blowing a save.

That 2012 team had the following major leaguers: Stratton, Woodruff, Holder, Girodo, Frazier, Renfroe, Lindgren, Graveman, and numerous AAA/AA players - they made up for this in 2013 by nearly getting MSU to the promise land.
    The 2012 team was one or two hitters away from being a legit title contender. Frazier hit .370 and then we literally didn?t have anyone else within .100 points of him. The pitching depth on that team was even better than it was in 2013.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    If we only score 2 on Samford- pitching is not our problem
    Exactly. Pitching hasn't been our problem all year. But I could easily see us allowing a Samford RAT to shut down our bats.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Exactly. Pitching hasn't been our problem all year. But I could easily see us allowing a Samford RAT to shut down our bats.
    Still comes down to if that happens- we arent going to do anything anyway. The fact that we are worried we might not score much in Game 1 against a staff with SP's that are 5-plus- shows this team isnt capable of winning anything big. UPig, Mississippi, Flo-rida, Tennessee....would all be licking their chops facing that pitching staff
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Still comes down to if that happens- we arent going to do anything anyway. The fact that we are worried we might not score much in Game 1 against a staff with SP's that are 5-plus- shows this team isnt capable of winning anything big. UPig, Mississippi, Flo-rida, Tennessee....would all be licking their chops facing that pitching staff
    I don't think anyone is really that scared of Samford's pitching, but you do have fluky low scoring games in Regionals on occasion. 2014 in Lafayette comes to mind, that ULL team slugged their way back through the loser's bracket to take the Regional, but only after they dropped a 1-0 game to Jackson State.

Odds are we score our fair share of runs tomorrow and are fine. I do have some concerns about facing lefty starters in general, we did not see very many at all this year, and the few we did see seemed to give us trouble. Samford does not have SEC caliber pitching, granted, but our bats have been bipolar all year so you can't totally rule it out.

vCash
    I think it's the opposite. I think we're so confident we can beat any of these teams, that we're comfortable playing matchups since they're a RH dominate lineup. At least that's what I'm hoping. It also sets us up for the Super to have our true Ace starting Game 1. I'm not saying I would have gone with Bednar, but I do see some advantages to it. And if you have such a confidence in our Ace facing VCU's #2, you should probably have no worries with MacLeod beating their #2...right? Surely our 2 is better than VCU's, right? If not, we still fell into the losers bracket with our top two arms starting.

vCash
    Well yea, but our offense is not as good as any of those. Nowhere close

vCash
    Swing at balls in the strike zone and we will be alright.