Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bednar rumor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentSteel16 View Post
    I don?t think it matters that their ace has a 5 plus ERA. Didn?t Mizzou pitch it?s batting practice guy against us? If you screw around and lose game 1 the odds are not in your favor. In tournament ball with our current lineup you play to win from day one.

In a perfect world you would throw your mid week guy in game 1 but our offense has been run by Moorhead lately and not Leach.
    If the logic used is "we lost to MO so we might lose to Samford", then we've got the biggest ***** of a coach ever. That's not even a consideration. You go with your guys now. Either we'll win or we won't. But it's got nothing to do with losing to MO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    we have an ace?
    Nope

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    Nope
    Bednar has been solid. He's definitely the ace.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I feel like it's silly if for matchups alone. If he's saying "matchups" to keep from having to say "I'm super confident we're about to smoke these scrubs and will be playing next week in a Super, so I'm setting my pitching up"....

It?s early so my brain is struggling. Are you saying we are changing our rotation for the Super? If so, why? Just trying to understand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Bednar has been solid. He's definitely the ace.
    Maybe he?s slightly better than MacLeod but the gap is not large by any means.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Rumor is, from people close to Bednar, that he is getting the nod for Friday night. Just passing along a rumor. Have no idea if it?s true or not.
    If State gets an early lead, Lemonis will pull Bednar after 3 or 4 innings regardless of how he is pitching, then pitch relievers for 1 inning each.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    If State gets an early lead, Lemonis will pull Bednar after 3 or 4 innings regardless of how he is pitching, then pitch relievers for 1 inning each.
    That does not seem likely to me based on how he handled SEC games. Granted it's a lot different pitching in a double elimination regional versus competing for a national seed, but the only reason to do that is to try to pitch Bednar twice in a regional, and I'm not sure he'll do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    One thing no one is talking about is even if we lose one of the first two games odds are whoever we throw as a third starter is probably better than the other teams third starters. Honestly, with this draw we should have an advantage no matter who we throw and when we throw them. And yes, I know we could look like trash and lose two games but as far as strictly playing the odds it probably is more beneficial with this draw if we throw MacLeoud and Bednar first in whatever order. And if he's throwing Bednar because Samford has a ton of RH hitters- I'm fine with that reasoning. And yeah- MacLeoud probably could beat them but with the peripheral stats showing that Bednar has more of an advantage and maybe MacLeoud has an advantage over the other two- why wouldn't we throw Bednar?

You have to take into account our team too. We don't have Ethan Small, Dakota Hudson, Chris Stratton, etc. Basically Bednar and MacLeoud are like Small and Konnor Pilkington in 2018. Pretty good but not dominant guys that are going to give us 7-9 and K 10+ guys in a game.

I'm just going to trust Lemonis on this whatever he does because I'm pretty sure he has a logical reason for whatever he does that he can back up if it backfires. Which if it does backfire it's probably going to be because we made a ton of errors and not the pitchers which is how we seem to typically lose our games.
    The problem here is VCU and Campbell mash the ball. Even if our #s 3 and 4 are better than their 3 and 4, their hitting gives them the advantage. We don't even hit trash pitching well at times (see Mizzou). Sunday and, heaven forbid, Monday, we aren't winning by scoring 3 or 4 runs and pitching well. We're going to have to pitch well AND score a bunch of runs. Which, you're right, we SHOULD be able to do against VCU or Campbell's Sunday/Monday pitching...but the last few weeks are reason for concern in that arena.

If we actually show up this weekend, we probably go 3-0. But we've been so hit or miss lately, it's concerning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    The problem here is VCU and Campbell mash the ball. Even if our #s 3 and 4 are better than their 3 and 4, their hitting gives them the advantage. We don't even hit trash pitching well at times (see Mizzou). Sunday and, heaven forbid, Monday, we aren't winning by scoring 3 or 4 runs and pitching well. We're going to have to pitch well AND score a bunch of runs. Which, you're right, we SHOULD be able to do against VCU or Campbell's Sunday/Monday pitching...but the last few weeks are reason for concern in that arena.

If we actually show up this weekend, we probably go 3-0. But we've been so hit or miss lately, it's concerning.
    I really have no idea what to make of their hitting. They do have some good numbers but they both played in awful leagues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    I really have no idea what to make of their hitting. They do have some good numbers but they both played in awful leagues.
    Yes, but if you look across all of our games vs. bad competition, we didn't exactly light it up the majority of the time. Yes, we had some high output games, but we also scored 5 runs or less a lot too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    I listened to Lemonis on head to head yesterday and when asked about a starting pitcher, he emphasized that they would be looking at matchups before deciding. I don?t think Bednar getting the start is anything other than a match up deal.
    ^^^This. Samford has almost all RH batters. Maybe 1 switch-hitter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    It?s early so my brain is struggling. Are you saying we are changing our rotation for the Super? If so, why? Just trying to understand.
    Yes, bc if we feel Bednar is our Ace, we will likely want him matching up with our opponent's Ace down the stretch in Supers and Omaha if we make it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Yes, bc if we feel Bednar is our Ace, we will likely want him matching up with our opponent's Ace down the stretch in Supers and Omaha if we make it
    Gotcha. Thanks. Interesting though, I’ve felt Bednar was our “ace” most of the season. I just figured Lemonis wanted to keep the rotation due to us being pretty dang successful.