Thread: MLB draft and our Recruits

vCash

MLB draft and our Recruits

(#40) Maddux Bruns is rated as a fringe 1st rounder ... Same HS as Tanner Allen, maybe the POY inspires him to be a Dog.

? Bruns made a huge splash at the Perfect Game National showcase last June, reaching 97 mph with his fastball and displaying two quality breaking balls. He never approached that performance the rest of the summer as his control disintegrated to the point where he had innings rolled over at multiple events. He's doing a better job of finding the plate this spring and has more pure stuff than any prep left-hander available, though he's still an extreme risk/reward play.

Bruns can work in the mid-90s for several innings and top out at 98 mph with some late life on his fastball, though he'll also dial it back into the low 90s on days when he's struggling to provide strikes. His best secondary pitch is an 83-85 mph slider with tilt, and he also can display a plus curveball with good spin and 12-6 break, but his bender often sits in the mid-70s because he doesn't fully trust his ability to land it. He also has a decent low-80s changeup with fade but little need to use it in games.

Though Bruns' high arm slot provides downhill plane on his fastball and allows him to stay on top of his breaking pitches, he doesn't look completely comfortable and stills wings balls off the backstop. Some scouts think his stuff can be good enough to make him a big league starter with below-average control, while others worry he could max out as a reliever difficult to trust in high-leverage situations. If he winds up at Mississippi State, he'll be eligible for the 2023 Draft as a sophomore.?

(#29) James Woods:

Someone here already said it, he is a raw hitter with big tools and capabilities. Seems locked for the first round but not considered a finished product. No ties to MSU, so most likely never plays for MSU.

?Wood clocked plus run times in 60-yard dashes over the summer and is better once he gets going. He?s shown the ability to cover a lot of ground smoothly in center field with an outstanding arm that would work in right field should he outgrow center. He?s committed to attend Mississippi State, but while he did seem lost at times offensively this spring, it looks like he still could go early enough to never set foot on campus.?

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/

vCash
    Some scouts are starting to sour a bit on Woods. I still don't feel like he'll end up here, but stranger things have happened.

vCash
    Homedog mentioned that Woods wouldn’t start as a freshman if he came to school. I’m going to guess that he is a bit of a Hunter Renfroe in that he has all of the tools but doesn’t have total command of them at this point. Bruns sounds like Cerantola.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Homedog mentioned that Woods wouldn’t start as a freshman if he came to school. I’m going to guess that he is a bit of a Hunter Renfroe in that he has all of the tools but doesn’t have total command of them at this point. Bruns sounds like Cerantola.
    Bruns looks like Jacob De Grom if you compare him to Cerrantola. His command has vastly improved.

vCash
    We will probably lose McCants and Walling too. I don't think we get Woods one way or the other. Bruns has a high asking price. Sure he is a risk but someone is going to have to pay to get him.

vCash
    If we lose McCants, Walling, Woods, and Brun, how does our class look? I’m hopeful that we don’t hit too much of a dry spell, but the affects of the coaching turnover are due to hit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Bruns looks like Jacob De Grom if you compare him to Cerrantola. His command has vastly improved.
    Jacob De Grom should concern you just as much as a Cerantola comparison, purely on college level contribution. Put aside the MLB outcome that is as useful as Brandon Woodruff vs UCLA in 2013.

De Grom was a position player until an injury crisis forced him into pitching at Stetson. His junior year, he was 4-5 with an Era of 4.48 and a 1.45 WHIP. Basically the Brant Blaylock story with an amazing MLB outcome.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe....asp?ID=145200

vCash
    If we lose McCants, Walling, Woods, and Brun, how does our class look? I’m hopeful that we don’t hit too much of a dry spell, but the affects of the coaching turnover are due to hit.
    It's a bunch of big strong solid kids for field positions and two pitchers that Todd likes. Next years pitching is going to be very strong, even if Pico Kohn and Jack Walker are eased into contributing roles.

We do need to get some transfer 3B/SS/OF from a P5 program. Like a Jack Kruger and Nate Lowe, I'm just asking for a second miracle. Not pumped about Skinner as my starting CF right now. Also, we don't know who exactly replaces Dubrule and Leggett. K James better become a LF. Does Hancock get drafted and go, that a 1B to replace.

For Hatcher fans … he still has eligibility! He's a COVID Junior!

vCash
    It's really strong on corner INF/OF players more than anything.

I think we might get Bruns if his asking price is what it is rumored to be. We'll see. But if he doesn't- Jack Walker has really emerged this spring and Pico Kohn has been a really good prospect for awhile. I think they're both future weekend starters.

Hunter Hines and Cole Slater will compete at first base next year.
    Jeffrey Ince is a MIF/CF prospect.
    Aaron Downs is a really good prospect and could be our starting third baseman next year or find a spot in the OF.
    Trey Higgins is a switch hitting corner OF prospect who will start down the line. Downs and Slater could compete for OF spots.
    Bryce Chance = Cody Brown 2.0
    Gray Bane will be a starting catcher for us after Tanner and Hancock leave.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    It's a bunch of big strong solid kids for field positions and two pitchers that Todd likes. Next years pitching is going to be very strong, even if Pico Kohn and Jack Walker are eased into contributing roles.

We do need to get some transfer 3B/SS/OF from a P5 program. Like a Jack Kruger and Nate Lowe, I'm just asking for a second miracle. Not pumped about Skinner as my starting CF right now. Also, we don't know who exactly replaces Dubrule and Leggett. K James better become a LF. Does Hancock get drafted and go, that a 1B to replace.

For Hatcher fans … he still has eligibility! He's a COVID Junior!
    I'll take a way early shot assuming we don't get the draft risks.

Fri- Sims
    Sat- Fristoe
    Sun- Cade Smith
    Midweek- Houston Harding and if Harding goes pro KC Hunt

Closer- Tepper or Preston Johnson
    Relief ace- Brandon Smith

Catcher- Tanner
    1B- Hunter Hines or Von Seibert
    2B- Davis Meche or Jeffrey Ince
    3B- Leggett or Aaron Downs
    SS- Forsythe
    LF- Kellum Clark
    CF- Kyte McDonald/Skinner or Cumbest
    RF- Kam James
    DH- Hancock

vCash
    Dont be surprised if McCants is a bulldog next year. He is seeing the gun is brother is having and really wants to go to school.