Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting OL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Zone blocking and 1 back power and the toss vs 4is is all we do. We vertical set in the pass game I would not argue with Leach when it comes to OL. He always has a good one
    He didn't last year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    He didn't last year
    Well they were in a whole new world too

vCash
    Well they were in a whole new world too
    I agree but it was bad enough to be a concern

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    We will. It wont be what some of yall want but it will be 80-20 75-25 range
    I think 70/30 or 65/35 is right in that sweet spot.

vCash
    Hot take:

We lose every SEC game we dont run the ball 40% of the time in 2021.

As much as LSU threw the ball with Burrow in 2019- they were about 53-47 pass/run. We just wont beat people running their 3-8 defenses passing 70% of the time
    Last edited by Coach34; 05-25-2021 at 06:43 PM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Hot take:

As much as LSU threw the ball with Burrow in 2019- they were about 53-47 pass/run. We just wont beat people running their 3-8 defenses passing 70% of the time
    100% correct.

vCash
    Hot take:

If other teams can run a 3-8 defense 70% of the time, that means we have not been successful running and we will be shitty.

Did we run the ball 40% of the time in any game last year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    If other teams can run a 3-8 defense 70% of the time, that means we have not been successful running and we will be shitty.

Did we run the ball 40% of the time in any game last year?
    mizzou we ran 41%; Tulsa we ran 50% - most of the other games were in the 20s.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Hot take:

Running the ball has not worked ever at State and you want him to run it. Doing the same thing and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

Let the guy do what he does and see if it works.

vCash
    I am going to support him and not second guess his every move until it's time to replace him. This is the guy we have hired, he will be here. Give him all the support you can until it's time to make change with the play on the filed. One year or even two was never going to be that point either. By year three? OK then, if he hasn't got what he needs by then the powers that be will have to make a decision for the future.

in the meantime, he is recruiting well and will leave this place in good shape either way.

I just don't get anyone doing it any other way.

vCash
    Supporting him is fine. I support him as well.

But I also know football. And throwing the ball 70% of the time vs a 3-8 defense is not going to win football games. We aren’t going to magically become awesome and start passing all over 8 man drops. Defenses have a year of film and they will defend even better this Fall.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash

But I also know football. And throwing the ball 70% of the time vs a 3-8 defense is not going to win football games. We aren?t going to magically become awesome and start passing all over 8 man drops. Defenses have a year of film and they will defend even better this Fall.
    Is it really the quantity of the runs or the quality of the runs? If we burn them for big yards every time the linebackers turn and sprint to coverage too quickly, it will force those LBs to pause and respect the run first. That will open up some of the passing lanes. We will get struggle moving the ball if linebackers can just drop out at the snap and we still only get 4 yards vs 3 down lineman. Then they don't have to respect the run and passing lanes will close.

vCash

But I also know football. And throwing the ball 70% of the time vs a 3-8 defense is not going to win football games. We aren’t going to magically become awesome and start passing all over 8 man drops. Defenses have a year of film and they will defend even better this Fall.
    I'll be interested to see how much 3-8 we see. Arkansas and UK will obviously do it since that's all they did last year and it worked, but other teams didn't do it as much. Georgia started out that way then went back to more what they usually do. A&M, Auburn and Alabama mixed it up.

I have no doubt we'll see it a lot, but some of these stubborn man-defense DC's will keep doing what they know. Plus if we can run it just marginally better and execute the pass against it a little better, I think some of these DC's that start the game 3-8 will get anxious and go back to what they know better during the game like what we saw with Kirby.