Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sims or Kopps?

vCash

Sims or Kopps?

Not that we are biased or anything but anyone watch Kopps enough to legitimately pick him?

vCash
    Me, but I am very happy and pleased with Sims. Kopp has one pitch and has been electric, he is the best pitcher in the country. Again I love Sims!

vCash
    Kopps, not bc of ability though... bc of availability. He's pitched almost 20 more innings than Sims. That's huge... we might have another sec win or 2 if Sims had the same IP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Kopps, not bc of ability though... bc of availability. He's pitched almost 20 more innings than Sims. That's huge... we might have another sec win or 2 if Sims had the same IP
    I agree, Sims has another pitch as Kopps has that cutter which is electric.

vCash
    This
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This
    So where are these 2 dynamic relievers expected to be drafted? Seems relievers are a dime a dozen in mlb these days

vCash
    So where are these 2 dynamic relievers expected to be drafted? Seems relievers are a dime a dozen in mlb these days
    Kopps will go in the 4th/5th round as a SR money saver that will get $20K & Sims will start on Friday night for MSU next year & be a top half of the 1st round guy if he can maintain being a starter. He's basically Gunner Hoglund but throws harder & has better fastball quality.

If Sims can't start, he'll be a late 2nd to 3rd round pick as a reliever

vCash
    Kopps will go in the 4th/5th round as a SR money saver that will get $20K & Sims will start on Friday night for MSU next year & be a top half of the 1st round guy if he can maintain being a starter. He's basically Gunner Hoglund but throws harder & has better fastball quality.

If Sims can't start, he'll be a late 2nd to 3rd round pick as a reliever
    Where are you seeing he will be a starter next year? Is that what you have heard? Hey I have no problem him being a starter, just asking? Not many closers in the country are like Sims.

vCash
    If we're gonna stretch him out next year, why won't we use him more innings on a weekend? I assume we will in postseason, but that seems risky when we haven't really tried him

vCash
    Relievers might be a dime a dozen, but Landon Sims' don't grow on trees. His stuff is electric and the way he attacks hitters is something you don't see often at any level of baseball. He's not dancing around the zone trying to beat you with a curve or trying to backdoor pitches. It's Chapman-esque the way he approaches it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Where are you seeing he will be a starter next year? Is that what you have heard? Hey I have no problem him being a starter, just asking? Not many closers in the country are like Sims.
    It's common sense. We've got to try & start him next year or you'll just be giving other programs ammunition to recruit against you. Sims was the 48th ranked HS player in the country out of HS. You can't recruit that type of player & never give him the opportunity to try to start. Starting vs relieving is generally at least a two round swing in the draft, so you're not doing right by Sims unless you give him a shot to start.

If he's able to start, to me, he's immediately Jack Leiter with a better breaking ball. He's stronger than Jack & throws just as hard with a little better fastball command.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 05-21-2021 at 07:54 AM.

vCash
    If we're gonna stretch him out next year, why won't we use him more innings on a weekend? I assume we will in postseason, but that seems risky when we haven't really tried him
    I can't answer that. He should be used more now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Relievers might be a dime a dozen, but Landon Sims' don't grow on trees. His stuff is electric and the way he attacks hitters is something you don't see often at any level of baseball. He's not dancing around the zone trying to beat you with a curve or trying to backdoor pitches. It's Chapman-esque the way he approaches it.
    He back and front doors his slider all the time. He is still attacking bringing it back into the zone for a strike but he does front and back door that pitch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    He back and front doors his slider all the time.
    Yeah. Like a starter

vCash
    He's great. If he's a reliever though, I have a hard time seeing 1st round.

vCash
    Oh I agree 100%. If he strictly stays a reliever then he'll be 2nd round at best. I'd just hate for him to change the way he pitches if we move him to a starter.

vCash
    No shot of being a 1st rounder if he's a reliever. Late 2nd or 3rd. Front offices have gotten smarter over the years & realize the lack of value of relievers.

For example: Josh Hader has basically been the best reliever in MLB for the last 4 years. His career WAR is only 8.2

vCash
    Oh I agree 100%. If he strictly stays a reliever then he'll be 2nd round at best. I'd just hate for him to change the way he pitches if we move him to a starter.
    I don't think he has to change. He commands his fastball & breaking balls well. He may have to lower the intent a little & save some bullets, meaning he may sit 93-95 & then reach back for 97 at times, but he won't have to change much. He should dominate. I see nothing about him, other than the intent he pitches with, that tells me he can't start.

If we get to Omaha, he's going to be incredible. If we stay in the winner bracket, he'll be able to throw in most games

vCash
    It's common sense. We've got to try & start him next year or you'll just be giving other programs ammunition to recruit against you. Sims was the 48th ranked HS player in the country out of HS. You can't recruit that type of player & never give him the opportunity to try to start. Starting vs relieving is generally at least a two round swing in the draft, so you're not doing right by Sims unless you give him a shot to start.

If he's able to start, to me, he's immediately Jack Leiter with a better breaking ball. He's stronger than Jack & throws just as hard with a little better fastball command.
    Makes sense, it will or might be interesting to see how this may or may not play out. I think we will see him more in regional play, maybe Sec tourney if we can make some noise moving forward.

Sec tourney is gonna be the most competitive in a long long time. So many teams playing for slots, no regional will be as competitive as this years Sec tourney.

vCash
    I'm all for Sims being a starter next year.

However, and I may be off on this, he seems like a max effort kind of pitcher, so would he have to change his mechanics or drop a few ticks on his fastball so he can go deeper in games? He works very aggressively, and I'm not sure how that would hold up over 6 innings.