Thread: What really happened this weekend ?

vCash

What really happened this weekend ?

I admit I don?t keep up with national baseball scene , but did us losing to these bottom feeders kill our national seed ? We got lucky with them shitting their pants first game or it would have been a sweep.Outside of hosting all the way through what good is it really ? Playing on the road may not be a bad thing with the way these boys go cold at home....

vCash
    Nahhh- but it will drop us a couple of slots. What we cant do is lose the series to Bama and then go 2 and Que in the SEC Tourney. That would
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtail bob View Post
    I admit I don?t keep up with national baseball scene , but did us losing to these bottom feeders kill our national seed ? We got lucky with them shitting their pants first game or it would have been a sweep.Outside of hosting all the way through what good is it really ? Playing on the road may not be a bad thing with the way these boys go cold at home....
    If not for the 1st baseman having a rough night defensively Thurs. night, Mizzou would have swept us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    If not for the 1st baseman having a rough night defensively Thurs. night, Mizzou would have swept us.
    Well, one wild pitch from Stinnett in the 6th inning of Friday night's game that occurred while Mizzou had the bases loaded and one out likely cost us winning 2 out of 3. Right after the wild pitch the batter hit a sharp ground ball to Dubrule that would have likely resulted in a double play to the end the inning if bases were still full. So with the wild pitch Mizzou scored 3 runs, without the wild pitch they would not have scored at all. Thats baseball.

vCash
    The bottom line is and I feel like a broken record:

We just didn't respect our opponent and we got beat.

Does it hurt us getting a National Seed? Yes. But if the season ended today we would still get one. Our RPI was seven the last time I looked. And Fairfield was above us and they're not getting a National Seed. So we dropped from the number 2 or 3 National Seed to the probably like 5-7. What it means is we better beat Jacksonville State and we better play a whole lot better against Alabama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The bottom line is and I feel like a broken record:

We just didn't respect our opponent and we got beat.

Does it hurt us getting a National Seed? Yes. But if the season ended today we would still get one. Our RPI was seven the last time I looked. And Fairfield was above us and they're not getting a National Seed. So we dropped from the number 2 or 3 National Seed to the probably like 5-7. What it means is we better beat Jacksonville State and we better play a whole lot better against Alabama.
    Probably our biggest hurdle will be that we are now #4 in the SEC pecking order. NCAA doesn't like that the SEC dominates everything so we just gave them the ammo to screw us by putting us #9. Should we get a National seed if we handle Bama and win 1 or 2 in the tourney, yes but if everything holds then we might get jumped.

vCash
    On 2 occasions by 2 different players, we had a simple base hit get through our 2 leftfielders. It points to a lack of focus.

vCash
    We literally handed them the Friday game. Three plays really stand out in my mind. 1) They hit a sharp grounder that James doesn't fully lay out for and it gets by him and then it goes under Cumbest' glove all the way to the wall. 2) They're trying to bunt and Stinnett throws not 1 but 2 WPs that advance runners and score a run. 3) The chopper they hit to James in the 9th. You could see it when the ball left the bat that James wanted no part of that play.

Obviously we blew a few chances at the plate late as well, but if we come up with any of those plays we're having a different conversation today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    We literally handed them the Friday game. Three plays really stand out in my mind. 1) They hit a sharp grounder that James doesn't fully lay out for and it gets by him and then it goes under Cumbest' glove all the way to the wall. 2) They're trying to bunt and Stinnett throws not 1 but 2 WPs that advance runners and score a run. 3) The chopper they hit to James in the 9th. You could see it when the ball left the bat that James wanted no part of that play.

Obviously we blew a few chances at the plate late as well, but if we come up with any of those plays we're having a different conversation today.
    Yeah the last 4 games defense has been atrocious. It cost us the last game at usce, friday against missouri and cost us runs yesterday as well. For the life of me though I'll never understand why Lemonis didn't bring Sims in early yesterday when the game was still close and slam the door and give us a chance to take the lead. Oh well, over now and just have to move on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah the last 4 games defense has been atrocious. It cost us the last game at usce, friday against missouri and cost us runs yesterday as well. For the life of me though I'll never understand why Lemonis didn't bring Sims in early yesterday when the game was still close and slam the door and give us a chance to take the lead. Oh well, over now and just have to move on.
    That is why I ultimately blame Saturday's game on Lemonis. I know the players didn't execute well, but when we were on the ropes and it looked like our pitchers couldn't get anyone out, he needed to put Sims in there to give us some life. Even if Sims gave up runs, he still would have shut them down long enough for us to score enough runs to win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    That is why I ultimately blame Saturday's game on Lemonis. I know the players didn't execute well, but when we were on the ropes and it looked like our pitchers couldn't get anyone out, he needed to put Sims in there to give us some life. Even if Sims gave up runs, he still would have shut them down long enough for us to score enough runs to win.
    Personally, with the way we had played in the previous 2 games I would have brought Sims in the third inning, when harding was obviously done and let him shut them down for 3-4 innings and see if we could get back in it(which we ultimately did). Sometimes the game isn't saved in the 8th or 9th inning but earlier. Saturdays loss was a complete team effort from the head coach on down.

ETA Sims pitching once a weekend is a waste IMO.

vCash
    Personally, with the way we had played in the previous 2 games I would have brought Sims in the third inning, when harding was obviously done and let him shut them down for 3-4 innings and see if we could get back in it(which we ultimately did). Sometimes the game isn't saved in the 8th or 9th inning but earlier. Saturdays loss was a complete team effort from the head coach on down.

ETA Sims pitching once a weekend is a waste IMO.
    I had no problem with him keeping Sims out of the Sunday game against USCE, but he definitely should have brought him in on Saturday when we were struggling against MO. The entire weekend we looked like we were in a fog and did not want to be there. Guarantee you that if Sims came in and laid the hammer down then our guys would have been pumped to finish the game out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    I had no problem with him keeping Sims out of the Sunday game against USCE, but he definitely should have brought him in on Saturday when we were struggling against MO. The entire weekend we looked like we were in a fog and did not want to be there. Guarantee you that if Sims came in and laid the hammer down then our guys would have been pumped to finish the game out.
    Agreed. I said the exact same thing starting with the thursday game. We acted like we just didn't want to be there. Very strange weekend. Hoping it's just an anomaly. Sometimes things like this happen in baseball. Lets see how we respond this weekend.

vCash
    Agreed. I said the exact same thing starting with the thursday game. We acted like we just didn't want to be there. Very strange weekend. Hoping it's just an anomaly. Sometimes things like this happen in baseball. Lets see how we respond this weekend.
    Interestingly, Saturday evening several players were out playing tennis. I guess nothing wrong with that, I just find that odd in a way.

I'd have either been in the batting cage or catching balls from the pitching machine or something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Interestingly, Saturday evening several players were out playing tennis. I guess nothing wrong with that, I just find that odd in a way.

I'd have either been in the batting cage or catching balls from the pitching machine or something.
    Kam James needs to have a Roger Dorn montage to get better at defense at 3rd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Kam James needs to have a Roger Dorn montage to get better at defense at 3rd.
    I was literally thinking the same thing walking out of the stadium Friday night. Maybe we need to bring in Lou Brown as a "postseason consultant". James might need be able to move after a few days, but I guarantee a ball wouldn't get past him again.