Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The one bright spot about this series

vCash

The one bright spot about this series

We all can at least temper our expectations heading into post season. If Mizzou can beat us like a drum, I think most everyone in a regional can as well. We're not all that great. Probably have over-achieved for the season as a whole. But outside of our 1 & 2 hole and Sims in the BP and Bednar 2/3 starts, we're nothing special anywhere else.

vCash
    Like most every year, I expect a SR. If we make it past that, awesome.

vCash
    I'd say Kellum Clark was a bright spot. Maybe even Cerentola.

vCash
    I have watched this team enough all year to know to keep my expectations tempered. Yes, we could potentially make Omaha if we have a lot of things come together but I could just as easily see us losing in a regional. Our offense is spotty and we routinely kick the ball around the infield. And yes, our pitching is still good overall but not dominant like we thought it might be. That is really not a recipe for a national championship team but in baseball pretty much anything can happen over a 3 to 4 week period in postseason.

vCash
    6 guys for 4 spots. Clark, Cumbest, Forsythe, Leggett, Skinner, and Kam James

LF, 3B, SS, and DH. Who you got?

vCash
    I'm not sure you don't move Kam back to SS. Forsythe hasn't been much better and his bat is subpar. Leggett at 3B, Mule in LF, Clark DH.
    There's just no answer that fixes everything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I'm not sure you don't move Kam back to SS. Forsythe hasn't been much better and his bat is subpar. Leggett at 3B, Mule in LF, Clark DH.
    Yes, there are going to be issues no matter the decision. I think you have to go with Cumbest in LF and Clark at DH. Kam's bat still needs to be in the lineup so I would put him at 3B. Then the decision is either Leggett or Forsythe at SS. I guess Forsythe.

Then you can bring in Leggett and Skinner late in the game as defensive replacements or maybe use Skinner as pinch runner late in the game.

vCash
    I agree. I thought even before Mizzou we were very fortunate to have the record/rpi/rankings we had because I don?t think we are that elite. Where we are elite though is the mental aspect and our guys grind, it is why our record is one of the best. I expect we bounce back from this weekend though. We laid a turd, it happens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post

Skinner needs to be destined runner and late inning replacement in Left. Clark needs to play, move James down the order and everyone up a notch or two. Forsythe is young, we just have to live with him at SS, gotta play Leggett at third. James is by far the worse infielder. Man it's sad seeing him struggling, I'm sure it's all new to him and he like a few others have to figure it out quickly.

This defense is maybe the worse I have watched at Msu. But we can be pretty good and when we get say 5 good innings from our starters we are dangerous. Nothing wrong with over-achieving, it what we are and if you are offended so be it. We have talent but not deep talent.

vCash
    No way Kam moves to SS. He needs to learn to play in the outfield, has good speed and arm. Would take the pressure off him and maybe playing the field would make him better at the plate.

vCash
    Yeah James problem is between the ears. It’s not lack of talent. But I think he’s destined for 1B or the outfield myself. He just look like he will ever be consistent enough to play left side infield
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Forsyth makes errors on balls that no one else would have a chance on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post

Tough question and that probably is The question right now and really all year that we still have not figured out. Forsythe and Legget for their D, not big behind the plate. We are building for the future with these two. They are already good on D and will improve at the plate or should.

Skinner no he hasn't brought a lot in either area although his D has been OK. Cumbest has hit well at times, still not sure about him in outfield.

I still haven't seen enough of Clark either way to be bullish on him yet. He shows potential at the plate.

Kam is the mystery of this bunch. His production at the plate is solid in total numbers but it just feels like he is really lost at the plate. Can he play outfield? If so then maybe he edges out someone if not then maybe he DH?

It would be down to Clark, Cumbest and James for the last spot. Have to trust coaches because I haven't seen enough of what they could do in outfield. I might give the edge to Clark building for the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    I agree. I thought even before Mizzou we were very fortunate to have the record/rpi/rankings we had because I don?t think we are that elite. Where we are elite though is the mental aspect and our guys grind, it is why our record is one of the best. I expect we bounce back from this weekend though. We laid a turd, it happens.
    I think we can bounce back too. We were coming of the fatigue of being on a long road tour in SC too. Young kids just seemed mentally spent. Give them some downtime and prepare for Bama. Win series and begin preparing for the post season and not SECT. Play starters enough to keep in practice in SECT but get bullpen plenty of reps and young players. All about regional after Bama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Forsythe's only real problem is that he is a freshman. Without a doubt he is the future at SS
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Those wouldn't be errors....by the way, Forsythe only has one less error than James, who was leading the SEC. You can't put both on the field. You just can't. But you can't pull Clark off DH.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 05-16-2021 at 03:31 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    I think we can bounce back too. We were coming of the fatigue of being on a long road tour in SC too. Young kids just seemed mentally spent. Give them some downtime and prepare for Bama. Win series and begin preparing for the post season and not SECT. Play starters enough to keep in practice in SECT but get bullpen plenty of reps and young players. All about regional after Bama.
    They had extra downtown this week.

vCash
    Rowdy CF
    TA RF
    Logan Tanner C
    Hancock 1st
    James DH
    DeBrule 2nd
    Cumbest LF
    Leggett 3rd
    Forsythe SS

Coach should have stayed with this formula after 5 straight wins and avg 7.75 runs per SEC game with 4 of those 5 wins. We have looked and smelled like hot dog crap since he changed things up for last Sunday. We have holes, we will have holes and do not have the players to fix our issues. But that is about as good of defensive / offensive lineup we can do at this point. The only change right now is flipping Logan and James in the lineup from what was the A & M and USCe series lineups. Find some ways for Clark to get AB’s as PH...midweek starter.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 05-16-2021 at 03:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Rowdy CF
    TA RF
    Logan Tanner C
    Hancock 1st
    James DH
    DeBrule 2nd
    Cumbest LF
    Leggett 3rd
    Forsythe SS

Coach should have stayed with this formula after 5 straight wins and avg 7.75 runs per SEC game with 4 of those 5 wins. We have looked and smelled like hot dog crap since he changed things up for last Sunday. We have holes, we will have holes and do not have the players to fix our issues. But that is about as good of defensive / offensive lineup we can do at this point. The only change right now is flipping Logan and James in the lineup from what was the A & M and USCe series lineups. Find some ways for Clark to get AB’s as PH...midweek starter.
    Right now I would probably play Clark over James at DH in that lineup. Obviously that wouldn't affect us defensively. I still want to see Clark at first base and then DH Hancock to see if that improves us defensively.

Overall I agree that he shouldn't have tinkered with the lineup too much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Right now I would probably play Clark over James at DH in that lineup. Obviously that wouldn't affect us defensively. I still want to see Clark at first base and then DH Hancock to see if that improves us defensively.

Overall I agree that he shouldn't have tinkered with the lineup too much.
    Too bad Kellum can't play 3B like he was billed to be able to do. At least I'm assuming he can't play 3B.