Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here is what I will say

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    MLB teams have beer available in the damn clubhouse. Coaches aren't baby sitters, we don't need curfews, and having rules like "can't party in season" may get you somewhere with Mama during recruiting, but will do nothing to produce results on the field. And our players aren't any different than any players in college anywhere.
    Missouri didnt have a player that State would recruit. Missouri was at a hotel in bed while State players were drunk and looking for a ride home. Missouri smoked State. Lets not ignore the drinking issue quite so fast.

If curfews before a game day dont work then a lot of football teams would be interested in that information.
    Last edited by tribaldawg; 05-16-2021 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Wording

vCash
    MLB teams have beer available in the damn clubhouse. Coaches aren't baby sitters, we don't need curfews, and having rules like "can't party in season" may get you somewhere with Mama during recruiting, but will do nothing to produce results on the field. And our players aren't any different than any players in college anywhere.
    There's a difference in partying during the season and doing so the night before game days. Coaches must have rules on that. And they shouldn't have to enforce it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    There's a difference in partying during the season and doing so the night before game days. Coaches must have rules on that. And they shouldn't have to enforce it.
    This I actually agree with. There is actually a difference in rules and things like curfews. Curfews are pointless - and you have to police it. Impossible for 3 coaches to check on 35 guys all night to make sure they are in bed. And as I said - Coaches aren't baby sitters. And I'm sure Lemonis has rules on being prepared and not being out all night partying. Just like I'm sure Cohen had rules about guys not getting coked up. And players will always - ALWAYS break those rules. And you know how you break players of it? You let them go get their asses kicked in embarrassing fashion by an inferior team. Sometimes teams need it - and I'm pretty sure in this instance we needed this ass kicking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tribaldawg View Post
    Missouri didnt have a player that State would recruit. Missouri was at a hotel in bed while State players were drunk and looking for a ride home. Missouri smoked State. Lets not ignore the drinking issue quite so fast.

If curfews before a game day dont work then a lot of football teams would be interested in that information.
    Football teams don't have curfews - they lock them up in a hotel the night before a game and don't let them out. State even does it for home games. They do that because they know curfews don't work - and policing 100 football players spread all over town is impossible.

And if you think ball players being out in the Cotton District (or in my day out at The Landing or The Club) drunk on game nights is new or unusual, then I've got news to break to you. And it's not just an MSU thing.

vCash
    Football teams don't have curfews - they lock them up in a hotel the night before a game and don't let them out. State even does it for home games. They do that because they know curfews don't work - and policing 100 football players spread all over town is impossible.

And if you think ball players being out in the Cotton District (or in my day out at The Landing or The Club) drunk on game nights is new or unusual, then I've got news to break to you. And it's not just an MSU thing.
    Ok I will play ignorant and we can agree football doesn?t have a curfew but that they have a time they have to be in the hotel. How could anybody possibly confuse those for being remotely the same.

And I dont care which teams stay out drunk half the night. If you cant drink and play baseball (and State cant) then dont drink. If the coach sees his team cant drink and play baseball then the answer is a curfew. (Aka hotel lockdown if that makes you feel better).
    Last edited by tribaldawg; 05-16-2021 at 04:50 PM. Reason: I don?t know.

vCash
    If you are out till 2 am then night before a game then you just dont care enough. At some point it has got to be on you and not the coach

vCash
    I agree with what Matt Wyatt said the other day, this team tends to play better on the road than at home. Call it partying, distractions, take a win for granted, over confident, don't know, whatever, but I've felt that way all year. If we play Bama at Bama, then I look forward to them to snap back and play good. If we play them at home, I think we will get swept.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tribaldawg View Post
    Ok I will play ignorant and we can agree football doesn?t have a curfew but that they have a time they have to be in the hotel. How could anybody possibly confuse those for being remotely the same.

And I dont care which teams stay out drunk half the night. If you cant drink and play baseball (and State cant) then dont drink. If the coach sees his team cant drink and play baseball then the answer is a curfew. (Aka hotel lockdown if that makes you feel better).
    There is also a huge difference in putting football players up in a hotel on a Friday night, 6 times a year and a baseball team four nights a week for most of spring semester - so don't play ignorant about that as well.

All I'm saying is, we have always treated our baseball players as the kings of campus - and our players have always taken advantage of that. There are pluses and minuses that come with it - one of which is at times the baseball team parties too much and it bites them in the ass. With many MSU teams, we have taken our opponents too lightly- go look at our mid-week record over many years. Both are lessons players at MSU have to learn in order to succeed.

Some teams get that lesson early in the season, some get it later. Hopefully, they pay attention and it's the wake up call that is needed to propel us in the post season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScooterDog View Post
    I agree with what Matt Wyatt said the other day, this team tends to play better on the road than at home. Call it partying, distractions, take a win for granted, over confident, don't know, whatever, but I've felt that way all year. If we play Bama at Bama, then I look forward to them to snap back and play good. If we play them at home, I think we will get swept.
    24-8 at home and 9-4 on the road and 3-1 at neutral sites.

So we're about the same home and road.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    24-8 at home and 9-4 on the road and 3-1 at neutral sites.

So we're about the same home and road.
    This is not accurate. We have had two awful weekends and they were both at home - majority of those 24 wins were non conference. We have outplayed ourselves on the road in my opinion.

vCash
    There is also a huge difference in putting football players up in a hotel on a Friday night, 6 times a year and a baseball team four nights a week for most of spring semester - so don't play ignorant about that as well.

All I'm saying is, we have always treated our baseball players as the kings of campus - and our players have always taken advantage of that. There are pluses and minuses that come with it - one of which is at times the baseball team parties too much and it bites them in the ass. With many MSU teams, we have taken our opponents too lightly- go look at our mid-week record over many years. Both are lessons players at MSU have to learn in order to succeed.

Some teams get that lesson early in the season, some get it later. Hopefully, they pay attention and it's the wake up call that is needed to propel us in the post season.
    Great logic here... but you would think the boys that can’t field their position when sober would try to get a good nights sleep. Maybe this is where we really miss Jake Mangum and his leadership.

These dudes were the lords of campus when I was a student. For some reason I did not watch or follow any baseball as a student. Just before and then after.