Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rumor is Leiter...

vCash

Rumor is Leiter...

Rumor is Leiter is done for the year. Corbin is playing damage control and told everyone he is monitoring his workload, but the decision came a couple hours before his start. Rumor is he was having arm ?soreness? the last couple weeks, but he wanted to pitch. Big blow for Vandy if so.

vCash
    Will have a major impact on the postseason. You could see someone sneak out of the Vandy regional now.

vCash
    They basically beat us without him. Vandy will still be good. Not as good, but good.
    But, there are some other rumors up there too, and if true, would end any hope for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    They basically beat us without him. Vandy will still be good. Not as good, but good.
    But, there are some other rumors up there too, and if true, would end any hope for them.
    Kumar?

vCash
    Looking more and more like Arky and us vs. the field

vCash
    I said back when he threw the no hitter against SC that he had thrown 220 pitches in the last two starts and that might come back to bite them I was informed by Rex54 and Brunswick that it wasn't a big deal. Apparently it is a big deal and the effects are coming home to roost.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Looking more and more like Arky and us vs. the field
    Hopefully they'll be on the otherside of the bracket.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCurtain74 View Post
    I said back when he threw the no hitter against SC that he had thrown 220 pitches in the last two starts and that might come back to bite them I was informed by Rex54 and Brunswick that it wasn't a big deal. Apparently it is a big deal and the effects are coming home to roost.
    Yep - I was wrong. I didn't make any eating crow statements though, so I'll stick with tacos tonight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    And would be even better if Vandy is on the same side of the bracket with them.

vCash
    Corbin and Bianco making it harder on the rest of us to talk kids into coming to school.

vCash
    Spill the beans. What?s the rumor?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Yes. In Nashville. I like our odds against them at Dudy Noble, Hoover, or Omaha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Oh now that was funny! Nice!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCurtain74 View Post
    Does every pitcher that throws 220 pitches in two starts end up hurt?
    Do pitchers that do not throw 220 pitches in back to back starts ever get hurt?

Sometimes shit happens. Take a look at the number of pitches thrown in Dakota Hudson's starts in 2016
    https://msstate_ftp.sidearmsports.co...16/plyr_25.htm

Right out of the gate he goes 94, 102, 105, 120, 126 - well hell by your logic he should have been having surgery by April.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post

Sometimes shit happens. Take a look at the number of pitches thrown in Dakota Hudson's starts in 2016

Right out of the gate he goes 94, 102, 105, 120, 126 - well hell by your logic he should have been having surgery by April.
    You have to keep in mind how many pitchers are throwing at a young age and this Travel Ball stuff. I can tell you that I know one young pitcher who had some issues at 14 years arm, he was taken to Dr Andrews clinic in B'ham. They determined he had a "growing spurt" because he just started pitching and he needed to lay off for a few months and let mother nature take its course if you get it. So it's a lot of things with arms, youth, mechanics, strength and so many other factors. More pitchers don't have surgery than ones that do. But over using or too many pitches is a huge problem. Rest and good mechanics is a great start.
    Me myself and family, are very thankful for Msu coaches and how they are handling pitchers.

vCash
    Depends on the weather also. Throwing someone 110 pitches on a March day when it’s 52 degrees is not the same as throwing someone 110 pitches when it’s 80 outside
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Depends on the weather also. Throwing someone 110 pitches on a March day when it’s 52 degrees is not the same as throwing someone 110 pitches when it’s 80 outside
    The pitcher's build plays a role as well. I had a scouting guy tell me before the season that he wasn't sure Jack Leiter would hold up with a heavy work load because he is slight of frame and is a max effort thrower.

vCash

Dakota is a bad comparison though. Different body, different mechanics, different pitch type and effort. Hudson was a 2 seam sinker pitcher with 115 K’s that year in 113 innings, Leiter is a max effort guy with much smaller frame looking to K everyone. He already has almost as many K’s (106) in 64 innings has Hudson had his entire 2016 season in 113 innings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    The pitcher's build plays a role as well. I had a scouting guy tell me before the season that he wasn't sure Jack Leiter would hold up with a heavy work load because he is slight of frame and is a max effort thrower.
    It was surprising to me the first time I saw Leiter. Never paid attention to him last year and I just assumed he was a monster like Rocker. Not that 6-1 205 is small (although I would have guessed more like 190 looking at him), but not what I was expecting.

vCash

Well first, my statement was made in March after he made his first SEC start of the year. I simply stated that the decision to let him throw that many pitches may come back to haunt them and it has. Second, it was 54 degrees that day in Nashville plus the game was already in hand. SC wasn't coming back.

How you make the leap from my statement to somehow comparing it to what Dakota Hudson did FIVE years ago or comparing to every other pitcher that throws 220 pitches is quite curious. My statement had nothing to do with the number of pitches but more of the timing of when that number of pitches were being thrown. If he was throwing that number of pitches this weekend and next weekend, it wouldn't be an issue for me.