Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tommy John for Gunnar Hoglund

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    What's the excuse going to be when our short slap hitters are a National Seed?**
    A stud 5* WR who's choosing between Bama, Georgia, Ole Miss and Ohio St. In other words, he'll ignore and move on to what Nancy does best... pumping up the loyal OM fan base with his bullsh*t.

vCash
    Hoglund will prob drop from #8 overall to around 17/20 range in 1st round. Tommy John isn?t much of a deterrent for Pro teams anymore. Over half the pitchers drafted in the first round last year had already had TJ surgery. The drop of 8/10 spots will cost him around $1.5mil. Slot money for 16/20 in the draft is $4.7mil to $4.2mil. Sucks for him but he?ll be fine. Ole Miss is done for though. Lost Elko, Cioffi, Hoglund...their bullpen is trash. The only chance they have is to slug their way through a regional, but you can?t slug your way through a super. Plus Bianco is a horrid in-game manager and always has them tighter than a tick in the post-season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cchjxn View Post
    Hoglund will prob drop from #8 overall to around 17/20 range in 1st round. Tommy John isn?t much of a deterrent for Pro teams anymore. Over half the pitchers drafted in the first round last year had already had TJ surgery. The drop of 8/10 spots will cost him around $1.5mil. Slot money for 16/20 in the draft is $4.7mil to $4.2mil. Sucks for him but he?ll be fine. Ole Miss is done for though. Lost Elko, Cioffi, Hoglund...their bullpen is trash. The only chance they have is to slug their way through a regional, but you can?t slug your way through a super. Plus Bianco is a horrid in-game manager and always has them tighter than a tick in the post-season.
    He still lost money because he is going to fail his physical. Yes, Tommy John has come a long way but there is still risk of a guy not being able to come back. You are correct about the slot bonuses- and I bet a team like the Cardinals will sign him underslot. So he has lost at least 1.5 and probably more.

vCash
    He still lost money because he is going to fail his physical. Yes, Tommy John has come a long way but there is still risk of a guy not being able to come back. You are correct about the slot bonuses- and I bet a team like the Cardinals will sign him underslot. So he has lost at least 1.5 and probably more.
    But, he got to enjoy beer showers, The Groooove, and redshirt Ms America's - so that has to be worth something, right?

vCash
    I can see it now, "Welcome to Omaha where a Cinderella story is unfolding....after losing their best pitcher and best hitter for the year, the Ole Miss Rebels managed to slug their way to Omaha in what can only be described as a run for the ages" or some shit like that. I'm not pronouncing those cockroaches dead until they're buried. For some reason I had more comfort in them collapsing with a full deck than I do now that they will have low expectations and possibly play relaxed.

vCash
    I saw where in interview Hoglund told Bianco he felt fine after warming up. He did have soreness after his last start, no doubt he made a huge mistake by pitching, obviously he had damage but didn't recognize what was going on long before this incident and it finally just snapped or was torn. Again wear and tear finally catches up, way too much stress. It's sad but it's his decision to pitch as any pitcher should tell the coaches no many times when its time to throw. I wonder if he ever had arm problems earlier in his career, as we all know some have only so many throws. I wish him luck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I can see it now, "Welcome to Omaha where a Cinderella story is unfolding....after losing their best pitcher and best hitter for the year, the Ole Miss Rebels managed to slug their way to Omaha in what can only be described as a run for the ages" or some shit like that. I'm not pronouncing those cockroaches dead until they're buried. For some reason I had more comfort in them collapsing with a full deck than I do now that they will have low expectations and possibly play relaxed.
    I hope you are putting your reverse mojo on that post - or does that only work in game threads?
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I saw where in interview Hoglund told Bianco he felt fine after warming up. He did have soreness after his last start, no doubt he made a huge mistake by pitching, obviously he had damage but didn't recognize what was going on long before this incident and it finally just snapped or was torn. Again wear and tear finally catches up, way too much stress. It's sad but it's his decision to pitch as any pitcher should tell the coaches no many times when its time to throw. I wonder if he ever had arm problems earlier in his career, as we all know some have only so many throws. I wish him luck.

That has to be part of coaching. Recognizing arm/throwing troubles at the end of a start. Get all of the players comfortable with coming to you with trouble, including fielders/hitters. And good trainers recognizing trouble, too--squeeze that forearm or wrist a little, see if it hurts, carefully check range of motion and recognize if anything has changed in each player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    That has to be part of coaching. Recognizing arm/throwing troubles at the end of a start. Get all of the players comfortable with coming to you with trouble, including fielders/hitters. And good trainers recognizing trouble, too--squeeze that forearm or wrist a little, see if it hurts, carefully check range of motion and recognize if anything has changed in each player.
    I can tell you we have a caring training staff and coaches. Young players for the most part want to compete, but smart trainer, coaches and players have to be be honest with themselves!

vCash
    From what he could have made had he not gotten hurt, but not compared to what he would have gotten had he signed out of HS. Slot value for that pick was just shy of $2 million. So the decision to come to school, even with the TJ, is likely going to be just fine.