Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should be blatantly obvious now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Is that our best is as good as anyone else in the country. We just went on the road and took the series from a conference team in consideration for a host spot and we did it pretty easily. And we go for the sweep tomorrow.

Team has grown a lot since the Arkansas series and we look as good as anyone else in the country right now. Do we have flaws and weaknesses? Sure. Doesn't mean we aren't capable. This team has the ability to win a title. Period. Anyone that says otherwise just wants to hedge their happiness because they expect us to come up short.
    They're definitely capable. We've had a lot of capable teams. We just don't ever do it. I'm at the point in my life where I think to win a title you either have to have a boatload of scholarships like Vandy, or you just have to get damn lucky. We've just never been too good in the luck department. It's a shame we didn't win a title about 25+ years ago, because there's way more parity now and you might as well just put a bunch of names in a bag every postseason and pick one out to win the CWS.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    +1
    This isn?t necessarily true. Leggit isn?t hitting much better than Hatcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowDawg View Post
    They're definitely capable. We've had a lot of capable teams. We just don't ever do it. I'm at the point in my life where I think to win a title you either have to have a boatload of scholarships like Vandy, or you just have to get damn lucky. We've just never been too good in the luck department. It's a shame we didn't win a title about 25+ years ago, because there's way more parity now and you might as well just put a bunch of names in a bag every postseason and pick one out to win the CWS.
    Luck is a huge factor. Look no further than the two opposite ends of the luck spectrum......FSU and Coastal Carolina. Tells you all you need to know about how luck factors in to the CWS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowDawg View Post
    Well here's the thing about where we want to be. We want to be talented enough and well coached enough every year to be in the conversation. We have that.

We haven't been able to match that part with the luck part enough to win a title. We've gotten close, but you can't ever go into a year saying we should win a title because the best team rarely wins it all.

Lemonis has us where Omaha is a realistic possibility every year. And if you look at recruiting and our youth, I don't see that changing. There aren't but 5-7 programs that can say that every year. I think because of that Lemonis will get us there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    Yes it’s true, he’s not hitting much better but it’s still a little better (from a freshman no less) with no experience but makes our defense a good bit better.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Not much but still a little better (from a freshman no less) but makes our defense a good bit better.
    At 3rd he makes it a little better but at first he makes it way worse.

vCash
    At 3rd he makes it a little better but at first he makes it way worse.
    A little?!? That’s a completely false statement, Cam was by far our worse defender. Whatever defensive runs save we lost from this move at 1st we have at least doubled from Leggett at 3rd. It’s not close.

vCash
    Yes he is. He's not great but still miles better Han Hatcher. His OBP is over 100 points better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintDawg View Post
    When we played for the Natty Title in '13, we were the better team. We had more power but not the pitching the UCLA had. They beat us in hitting with fundamental small ball and their pitching made up for lack of power. We were crushing balls that would've been out of ballparks anywhere else. The balls and the bats were different. We all know that. Dudy Noble is actually more like TD Ameritrade is than I think we realize. It has more foul territory in the infield but not in the outfield, just like the Dude. I want to say our guys can lay those hits in those narrow spots better than others. TD Ameritrade is bigger on purpose for sure, but not by much. It favors the right handed batter and not he left. At TD, right field plays deeper allowing balls hit that way to drop in more. My point being is that the hitters we got will be more prone to putting balls into play to advance runners instead of trying to muscle it out. Just like UCLA in '13. BUT we have some of the power to go with it to now that the balls and bats are different. Maybe I'm rambling and I've had some bourbons. Am I making any sense? What say you? Tell me to shut up if I'm dumb.

TD Ameritrade:
    Left Line ? 335 ft (102 m)
    Left Center ? 375 ft (114 m)
    Center Field ? 408 ft (124 m)
    Right Center ? 375 ft (114 m)
    Right Line ? 335 ft (102 m)[1]

Dudy Noble:
    LF: 330 ft (100.6 m)
    LC: 376 ft (114.6 m)
    CF: 390 ft (118.9 m)
    RC: 374 ft (114.0 m)
    RF: 305 ft (93.0 m
    I did notice you were rambling but once you explained why, it made perfect sense! 🤣
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    What is Forsythes fielding percentage?
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    What is Forsythes fielding percentage?
    I don't know but I do know that he makes plays that no one else on our team would make at SS. Dude has a great glove and a MLB quickness type throw. He has the ball so quickly out of his glove and a short throwing motion. Probably the overall best defensive SS we have had in a while.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Yes he is. He's not great but still miles better Han Hatcher. His OBP is over 100 points better.
    I think it can be debated.

Leggett's babip is .333 to Hatcher's .234 (career .356 in 336 AB). Leggett's k rate is highest among players with some action. Leggett's bb rate is much better than Hatcher's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

Leggett's babip is .333 to Hatcher's .234 (career .356 in 336 AB). Leggett's k rate is highest among players with some action. Leggett's bb rate is much better than Hatcher's.
    http://thebaseballcube.com/college/s...Y=2021&T=20147

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

But hasn't Leggett pretty much just played SEC games for the most part? Hatcher is hitting like .120 or so in the SEC only games with only one extra base hit (can't quite remember but it was really bad). Leggett moving to 3rd allows us to DH Kam James. Overall defense increases by Leggett at 3rd and Hancock at 1st. Hatcher is a good defensive 1B but the difference isn't as big between him and Hancock as Leggett and James.

Big question is can Kellum Clark play 3rd or 1st. He looks like he is finally getting back to what we thought he might give us coming into the year before he got sick. Hopefully he can play 3rd and we can continue to DH James and let Hancock play 1st. That would give us our best hitting lineup.