Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we win the SEC?

vCash

Can we win the SEC?

After 21 games, the SEC teams break down into 3 tiers:
    • The top 6 are contending for the SEC crown. We have the easiest remaining schedule (by W/L record at least). We'll have to gain a game on Arkansas to get a tie, without letting another team gain on us, and Arkansas has a significantly harder schedule than us. If Arkansas loses games to Tennessee or Florida, that helps us, but it would also help teams competing with us for the title.
    • There's also a middle tier of teams fighting for an NCAA bid. All 4 of them have at least 2 series left against teams in the top tier, so they'll have the chance to clinch a bid with some good wins, or they could find themselves out of the mix.
    • On the bottom tier, I wouldn't count out LSU yet. Their RPI is good enough that going 6-3 to get to 13-17 probably gets them in. Auburn has a very weak schedule and could actually get themselves onto the bubble with a strong finish.

vCash
    Yes, we absolutely can win the SEC.

This upcoming weekend will be a huge hurdle and if we do well we may control our own destiny

vCash
    I don't see us winning the SEC. Arkansas is tough, and like you said we have to be a game ahead of them since they have the tiebreaker. And I'm ok with us not winning the SEC. I just want us hot going into the postseason. If we win 2 of 3 at USCe this weekend I may change my tune, but I don't see that happening

vCash
    It’s conceivable we could go 8-1 in the remaining SEC. We could also go 4-5. Arkansas has a tougher schedule than we do. We will see how it plays out.

vCash
    Someone correct me if I?m wrong, but I?m thinking there is no tiebreaker. Teams with the same record share the crown.
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I don't see us winning the SEC. Arkansas is tough, and like you said we have to be a game ahead of them since they have the tiebreaker. And I'm ok with us not winning the SEC. I just want us hot going into the postseason. If we win 2 of 3 at USCe this weekend I may change my tune, but I don't see that happening

vCash
    Dont care. It's about being a national seed.

19 wins pretty much guarantees one. If we can get to 21 we would likely assure a top 5 seed.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Head to head only matters in seeding for the SEC tournament. If two teams have the same record, they are co-champs regardless of H2H.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

19 wins pretty much guarantees one. If we can get to 21 we would likely assure a top 5 seed.
    This. It would be nice to put another number on the outfield wall, but in the grand scheme of things, all that matters is hosting all the way to Omaha.

vCash
    Unrelated, but South Carolina has an all time winning record against us in baseball. By 3 games. Would love a sweep to get us to even.

vCash
    Nice work though Quaoarsking. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out

vCash
    "Well, I guess there is only one thing we can do. Win. The whole. 17'n. Thing."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    "Well, I guess there is only one thing we can do. Win. The whole. 17'n. Thing."
    Yep, this! Have a good shot at it. I'm confident we get to 20 conference wins and that should make us a solid national seed. 21-22 wins could give us the sec crown and a top 5 seed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

Why does an sec championship in baseball mean so little to you as compared to football? Pretty big accomplishment to me and should celebrated accordingly, especially coming through the west. Might as well bring home some hardware on the way to a national seed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Why does an sec championship in baseball mean so little to you as compared to football? Pretty big accomplishment to me and should celebrated accordingly, especially coming through the west. Might as well bring home some hardware on the way to a national seed.
    An SEC Championship in football means you get the chance to play for the National Championship. In baseball it's not the same level of importance. In our conference tournament I often hope we lose to save pitching/injury risk for the regional the following weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post
    An SEC Championship in football means you get the chance to play for the National Championship. In baseball it's not the same level of importance. In our conference tournament I often hope we lose to save pitching/injury risk for the regional the following weekend.
    No one mentioned the tournament. Screw the tourney. I'll still celebrate a title and it should be a big deal to get you on the road to Omaha. And winning the title in football only gets you in the playoff. Got to win one there to play for the title. Just because baseball has a longer road doesn't mean a title should be celebrated less IMO.

vCash
    The SEC Tournament is a cash grab and pretty pointless.

We'll know a lot more about our odds of winning the SEC after the South Carolina series. Statistically they have the 13th best offense in the league. Their pitching is second in ERA however. On paper this should be a series with low scoring games and the fact that we can steal bases may prove to be valuable in this series. Defensively we can not afford to shoot ourselves in the foot and we'll see if our new lineup helps with that. Mizzou is a team we should sweep at home. Alabama is a good team that will play us tough especially on the road.

Arkansas is due a bad weekend and they have a tough enough schedule that they certainly could lose a series. Even though Vanderbilt has the two best starters in the SEC they are prone to losing Sundays and Rocker and Leiter have split games at times this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Because in football the goal is to win the SEC title to have a chance to win the NC. You basically have to win the SEC title to have a chance to win the NC

In basketball and baseball- it’s about making the Tourney and getting seeding. We won the SEC in basketball in 2004 and then got beat by Butler in the NCAA Tourney and it just made the season very meh. Basketball and Baseball are Tourney-based. Football is regular season based
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post

After 21 games, the SEC teams break down into 3 tiers:
    • The top 6 are contending for the SEC crown. We have the easiest remaining schedule (by W/L record at least). We'll have to gain a game on Arkansas to get a tie, without letting another team gain on us, and Arkansas has a significantly harder schedule than us. If Arkansas loses games to Tennessee or Florida, that helps us, but it would also help teams competing with us for the title.
    • There's also a middle tier of teams fighting for an NCAA bid. All 4 of them have at least 2 series left against teams in the top tier, so they'll have the chance to clinch a bid with some good wins, or they could find themselves out of the mix.
    • On the bottom tier, I wouldn't count out LSU yet. Their RPI is good enough that going 6-3 to get to 13-17 probably gets them in. Auburn has a very weak schedule and could actually get themselves onto the bubble with a strong finish.
    Why were they announcing on SEC Now that Arky has won at least a share of the SEC Title? Or were they talking about other sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Why were they announcing on SEC Now that Arky has won at least a share of the SEC Title? Or were they talking about other sports.
    BS reporting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I don't see us winning the SEC. Arkansas is tough,... If we win 2 of 3 at USCe this weekend I may change my tune, but I don't see that happening
    So, you already bought in to losing 2 of 3 at USCe, who just got swept by OM?

The Hogs still have Georgia, at UT, and Florida, left on their schedule while MSU has @ USCe (11-10), Missouri (5-16), and @Bama (11-10)!

I see a tie for SEC Crown at least and outright win as doable.

BWI, I think a tie with ARK or VANDY goes down as Co-Champions BUT they would have #1 seed at SECT. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, because it may be just basketball that is that way)

Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"