Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
Back in the days of the Big Red Machine Sparky Anderson was know as Captain Hook If a starter made 5 innings he was gone at the first sign of trouble. You can only do that if you have an elite Bullpen and WE DO. Landon Sims is really a starter/Elite reliever. when you have an ace like that it can go a long way if we make it to Omaha. And I am telling you Cerentola has 1 great game in him this season and i think we will see it before the end of the World Series. He has to throw from the stretch to be effective and once he learns not to over stride Game on!.
The best thing about Sims is his flexibility. He can go 1 inning or he can give us 3 and be really effective. I believe against Tulane he went a little more than that and gave up one of his runs on the year.

If I was in Lemonis's shoes I would accept that our staff is what it is. We have some good starters but neither one is Ethan Small, Maholm, Hudson, Stratton, etc. level. We're just not going to get 7 IP, 100 pitches and 10-12 K's a game from these guys. If I had to go with an ideal "script" it I would probably go:

Fri- MacLeoud 3-5, Brandon Smith, 1-2, Preston Johnson, 1-2, and then close with Sims 1-3. Those are our three best relievers in my opinion and I want to try to have the opportunity to use them twice in a weekend if needed.
Sat- Bednar- 3-6, Patrick 1, Stinnett, 1-2, and Simmons 1-2 and if needed Sims for 1 if available.
Sun- Fristoe- 1-3 one time through order as an opener, Harding for 3-5, Tullar 1-2, and then Price 1, and then if available and needed Sims for 1.

Koestler and Cerentola are my "hit the fan" options.