Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSU football rolls in at #22 in ESPN preseason poll....TSUN AT #25.............

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Question is will we run the football like we did in our last 2 games? We are going to see a 3 man front every week. That's simply the new trend in college football- not just against us.
    Eventually I think we will settle into the 70/30 pass/run ratio that we typically see from Leach. I think we will run it better- more experienced backs, more experienced o-line, and having had a year in the system etc.

It's somewhat skewed with Leach because he throws a lot of swing passes, screens, and that toss play which I believe is recorded as a forward pass which is all part of his "run game".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Eventually I think we will settle into the 70/30 pass/run ratio that we typically see from Leach. I think we will run it better- more experienced backs, more experienced o-line, and having had a year in the system etc.

It's somewhat skewed with Leach because he throws a lot of swing passes, screens, and that toss play which I believe is recorded as a forward pass which is all part of his "run game".
    Yeah Leach looks at those passes as an extension of the run game...the problem is that they aren't. Not when they take so long to develop and then you lob it out in the flat and give the D time to close in for a 1 yard gain. We need to either be more quick and crisp on those RB swing passes, or trade those for quick hitting dive plays up the middle. Can't give the defense enough time to react out of an 8 man zone and still tackle us for a gain of 1 or 2 yards...we have to make them pay with 4-5 yard carries when they drop 8, otherwise they'll never have a reason to stop. If they can drop 8 and hold us to a 2 yard swing pass or a 1 yard handoff, we'll never compete under Leach.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    True, I still think we should establish a 10 year deal with NC State. We are very similar opponents and it would be good to build another long term opponent.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    NC State and Memphis will determine our season. Wins those two and seven wins should be the floor.
    We'd better beat Memphis. They're not going to be very good next year. We'll probably be favored against NC State.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    off topic question for you, when do high school coaches typically change jobs? Pretty soon after the season or usually in may-june. The reason I ask is because Corinth's head coach just quit 1 week into spring practice.
    Jobs open up in December and then again in March/April for HS coaches. By May most are done.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Yeah Leach looks at those passes as an extension of the run game...the problem is that they aren't. Not when they take so long to develop and then you lob it out in the flat and give the D time to close in for a 1 yard gain. We need to either be more quick and crisp on those RB swing passes, or trade those for quick hitting dive plays up the middle. Can't give the defense enough time to react out of an 8 man zone and still tackle us for a gain of 1 or 2 yards...we have to make them pay with 4-5 yard carries when they drop 8, otherwise they'll never have a reason to stop. If they can drop 8 and hold us to a 2 yard swing pass or a 1 yard handoff, we'll never compete under Leach.
    And how about those slow developing screens to Osiris with Eiland attempting to block out for him? Terrible.

I think Tulu will help with the screens and I think the backs will be better at getting upfield and Rogers/Abraham should be able to get them the ball quicker.

vCash
    Did Marshmallow actually say move over Penn State, Notre Dame and... North Carolina? I know NC is expected to be good, but elite? Or maybe that's around the same place they fell in the FPI? Weird he picked them.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Look I hope they see something I don't because with our complete captain check down Charlie offense, there is no way we compete at a level needed to win enough games to be ranked.

I know Leach's offense usually starts clicking year two..... I just don't see it as of now. Hope Sawyer is ready to be a baller that can really throw on the run, deep, and accurate. And our WRs remember that being quick and running crisp routes is how we have to do it.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Look I hope they see something I don't because with our complete captain check down Charlie offense, there is no way we compete at a level needed to win enough games to be ranked.

I know Leach's offense usually starts clicking year two..... I just don't see it as of now. Hope Sawyer is ready to be a baller that can really throw on the run, deep, and accurate. And our WRs remember that being quick and running crisp routes is how we have to do it.
    I'm curious about the switch to the 3-8 against the Air Raid and other pass happy Spreads. DC's have finally said "f'it" and gone to this. And it's working
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    The defenses beat us last year because we didn't give the QB enough time to look downfield (or the QBs just chose to throw it to the RB in the flat). Defenses figured out that they could send TWO linebackers to tackle the RB/WR in the flat. If they just sent one, we would have gained more yards from missed tackles. Those two linebackers were also able to run forward and tackle our RB running the ball. So while running the ball more opened things up a little, it didn't really open it up enough.

To make the defenses pay, we need to give the QB just a half second more to pump fake to the flat (and then pass somewhere else). Even if the two linebackers don't run forward, just hesitating for a second will open up receivers 10-12 yards downfield.

Of course, the best way to make the defenses pay is to give our QB enough time to find the guys open 20 yards or farther downfield. We did that a little better in the last few games of the season. No reason we shouldn't be able to stop 3-man lines from getting to our QB, or even if the defense blitzes a safety or LB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    But but but the CL says otherwise
    <17> the CL it's old miss ass sucking owners, and the shats.