Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Thoughts- Pre-Exams

vCash

Baseball Thoughts- Pre-Exams

Pre-exams meaning MSU has finals this week.

I'm taking a 5 tools approach with this- the five tools for non-baseball fans is arm strength, power, hitting for average, speed, and defense. I personally because I like to add my own thing add leadership and baseball IQ to the mix as well. That's just me. But for this I'll stick to five.

Arm strength (pitching)- MacLeoud and Bednar are talented but they're also essentially sophomores because of COVID despite their draft status. So sometimes they flash like Bednar did against Vanderbilt and sometimes they look like Bednar against Ole Miss. One thing about our starters is none of them are very efficient. We're only able to get 5-6 IP max because of that. That means we have to rely on the bullpen a lot- and fortunately we have a very good bullpen. But it also means we have to work those guys a lot. Against some of the better teams in the league we're going to have to use Sims twice in a weekend. We need to get Brandon Smith back. We need to keep developing Cerentola. And we need Stinnett and Preston Johnson to keep stepping up. Lemonis needs to have a quicker hook with Fristoe. He is a freshman and he is getting lit up the second-third time through because he does not have a third pitch to go to at this point. Foxhall and Lemonis need to stop being stubborn and "seeing what happens" and give him the hook after the first time through and go to Harding. I'm not just talking about today. It's a weekly theme. We also need someone like Cade Smith, Mikey Tepper, Stone Simmons or Spencer Price to step up an give us some innings here and there. How good this staff ultimately is will depend on 1. IF Smith comes back and 2. IF Cerentola can be used out of the bullpen as an option. We need to stop being cute on Sunday and use our big guns out of the pen sooner- ideally I would be fine with something like Harding starts and gives us 3, a healthy Smith gives us 2, Preston Johnson/Stinnett/Chase Patrick piece together innings 6-7, and then use Sims for 8-9. We need to maximize our talent and stop sitting on our ass waiting to see if a guy can work out of every jam.

Power- Hot take- we're going to have at least four guys that have 10 or more home runs on this team this year and are going to end up hitting more home runs than Ole Miss this year. Our schedule has been top heavy this year and three of the four remaining SEC series are against teams that have pitching staffs in the bottom half of the SEC with South Carolina being the exception. Tanner, James, Allen, and Rowdey are all going to hit 10 or more- and if he can bust out of his slump maybe Hancock as well. If I'm wrong I'm wrong- but I'll be pretty close one way or the other.

Average- Along those lines for the year our offense will finish in the top half of the SEC in average for the same reasons. One thing that will help is if we stop being so pull heavy- looking at you Josh Hatcher. Our hitters have GOT TO start looking to hit gap to gap more. Our approach is BAD at times. Some of that is some guys being inexperienced. But it needs to start to improve. The good news is we have beaten some really good pitchers this year- Madden from Texas, Hill from LSU, Hoglund from Ole Miss, and Leiter from Vanderbilt. We've gotten shut down some too. That happens against really good pitchers. We need to find a way to sit Hatcher without sacrificing defense. Which leads me too...

Defense- We HAVE TO get better here. We're so sloppy at times. Except for Logan Tanner who is a freak and has the run game shut down. It's past time to move Tanner Allen back to first and play Cumbest in RF. This maximizes our defense while also adding some offense because despite the fact that Cumbest having zero summer ball experience he's still better than Hatcher. Now that school is out this needs to be a MAJOR point of emphasis. Kam James needs to take at least 200 ground balls a day now that class is out. Get Ron Polk back out there and have the team go over his playbook defensive fundamentals AGAIN. Like every day. A lot of times when we have lost it's because we kick the ball around like the Bad News Bears with special guest Chuck Knoblauch.

Speed- We're among the best in the league at stealing bases so no complaints here. Forsyth needs to get better at bunting though. That needs to be part of his game and no reason for him to not be decent at it.

Leadership- Lemonis has to do a little bit better job of managing this team if he is going to beat elite teams. That means find a solution to a guy like Josh Hatcher struggling. That means not sitting around like a bump on a log while Fristoe is getting lit up the second or third time through the order again. That means finding ways to use Sims twice in a weekend against some of the better teams in the league like he did against Ole Miss.

This was a pretty critical review. But I think this team is clearly third in the SEC and we'll find out in a couple of weeks if we're third or fourth after the South Carolina series. For us to get to the top we have to get a little bit better- and I think we will in the future. What we are seeing right now is kind of a byproduct of having essentially four coaching changes in about five years. So it's a bit of a mess. But we're hardly bad. Overall we're pretty good in fact. But with some hard work and maybe a couple of tweaks and some more aggressive decision making this team can reach it's full potential. What I think will happen is we will improve on defense and our hitting will improve. Our pitching will be about the same. Lemonis will keep running Hatcher out there. As long as we take care of business the next few weeks we should be a national seed. I always like our odds in the postseason at Dudy-Noble. And I wish we had Landon Sims a couple of years ago against that ridiculous umpire in the CWS that squeezed us against Louisville. Anyway, overall I think we continue to improve and make a run and end up in Omaha again.

vCash
    Good Analysis Todd:

(1) Fristoe can’t do 3 cycles of hitters. Trying to get three cycles is disrespectful to the opponent .
    (2) Hatcher is not going to happen in 2021. He doesn’t look confident out there.
    (3) I think I rather DH Kamren James and let Leggett play 3B, James is just though to watch defensively
    (4) Cumbest playing more is just common sense, if Hatcher is the only 1B’man then sit Skinner
    (5) Stinnetts is averaging 4 innings per month, thats brutal pitcher management. I wish Kumar and Nikhazy were being nursed like that.
    (6) just me perhaps, I would take Freshman Kellum Clark hitting 230 if the next best option is a senior hitting 190.

vCash
    (1) We suck at managing pitching.
    (2) We rely too much on analytics. It's lazy coaching.
    (3) Defense is bad. Especially 3B and CF.
    (4) Some guys need to mature. They let things snowball on them if something goes bad.
    (5) We've failed at recruiting when we have a 1B hitting below .200 and no one good enough with the bad to start over James at 3B.
    (6) Just play Cumbest. Until he sucks, play him. This shit isn't that hard. But our coaches are making it hard.
    (7) All that and we're still a top 10 team.

vCash
    Some good points Todd.

First - I get what you are saying about MacLeod and Bednar - without having gone thru the SEC gauntlet, they are still learning what it is like to pitch to SEC hitting. Not to mention what it is like to deal with SEC umps and their lack of consistency.
    I think we are essentially seeing with them this year what last year in the SEC schedule would have looked like with them as Freshman (MacLeod was a RSF). If they come back next year, look out.

Agree completely about having 4 guys with 10 HR. But, you buried the lead on that headline. We haven't had a team with more than 2 guys hitting 10 or more HR since 1999 (Wiese 19; Knott -14; Wren -13); and haven't had 4 or more guys do it since 1998 (Knott -13; Wiese -14; Chapman -10; Freeman - 11; Lee - 19). That's a loooong time to be a school without much power. Yes, I know that is getting back to the Gorilla Ball days - but we have had a whole lot of seasons over the past 21 years where didn't have a single guy hit 10 HR. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come.

I'm not going to complain about how Lemonis has used Sims. The fact is that most weekends we haven't really needed him 2 times. A lot the people complaining about us not using him twice also complained when we used him Saturday "because it was a blow at the time". Well it wasn't - Johnson was done and we HAD to win that game regardless of score. Sims was there to shut them down and not let them get back in it. Most of our Friday games we haven't needed Sims. He has pitched a lot of Saturday's because of that and the fact those games end up being the series decider.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

Archimedes
    vCash
    Managing pitchers when you only have 10 is tough managing a staff when you have the arms we have is even tougher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    (1) We suck at managing pitching.
    (2) We rely too much on analytics. It's lazy coaching.
    (3) Defense is bad. Especially 3B and CF.
    (4) Some guys need to mature. They let things snowball on them if something goes bad.
    (5) We've failed at recruiting when we have a 1B hitting below .200 and no one good enough with the bad to start over James at 3B.
    (6) Just play Cumbest. Until he sucks, play him. This shit isn't that hard. But our coaches are making it hard.
    (7) All that and we're still a top 10 team.
    I don't think we failed at recruiting. I think Hatch needs to have his vision checked. We have seen awesome players have a bad year before, for many reasons.

(1) John Cohen in 1989 sucked, got right in 1990.
    (2) Rob Hauswauld sadly went from an All SEC, All American, Triple Crown Candidate to early retirement due to a head injury.
    (3) Tommy Raffo dropped off in 1990 because he got Mono before the season. From Golden Spikes numbers in 1989 to mere All SEC numbers in 1990.

This year, Alex Binelas of Lousiville was supposed to be an All American, he is only now getting to 250, was hitting 220. Jud Fabian, another AA candidate and consensus #1st Rounder is also struggling for average. Of course these guys are still hitting 10 and 13 Homeruns. Hatch appears to not hit the weights, he still resembles his freshman body. All three were big recruits, drafted out of HS, just different outcomes. We are unlucky that Kellum Clark came down with something before the season.

Still a Top-5 team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    I don't think we failed at recruiting. I think Hatch needs to have his vision checked. We have seen awesome players have a bad year before, for many reasons.

(1) John Cohen in 1989 sucked, got right in 1990.
    (2) Rob Hauswauld sadly went from an All SEC, All American, Triple Crown Candidate to early retirement due to a head injury.
    (3) Tommy Raffo dropped off in 1990 because he got Mono before the season. From Golden Spikes numbers in 1989 to mere All SEC numbers in 1990.

This year, Alex Binelas of Lousiville was supposed to be an All American, he is only now getting to 250, was hitting 220. Jud Fabian, another AA candidate and consensus #1st Rounder is also struggling for average. Of course these guys are still hitting 10 and 13 Homeruns. Hatch appears to not hit the weights, he still resembles his freshman body. All three were big recruits, drafted out of HS, just different outcomes. We are unlucky that Kellum Clark came down with something before the season.

Still a Top-5 team
    Hatch has never good. Otherwise, he'd have been an everyday starter before this year. His bat is terrible. His defense is barely average. We're short players. That's not hard to see. It's the difference between good and great. The bottom half of the lineup is pretty weak with the bat. We're still playing bad defenders to get a bat in the lineup or bad hitters for some defense. We need to recruit better.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 04-26-2021 at 09:23 AM.

vCash
    1. Rowdey - CF
    2. Allen - 1B
    3. James - LF
    4. Hancock - DH
    5. Tanner - C
    6. Dubrule - 2B
    7. Cumbest - RF
    8. Leggett - 3B
    9. Forsythe - SS

Landon Jordan leaving hurts.

I edited and swapped Kam and Hancock.
    Last edited by KOdawg1; 04-26-2021 at 02:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    1. Rowdey - CF
    2. Allen - 1B
    3. James - DH
    4. Hancock - LF
    5. Tanner - C
    6. Dubrule - 2B
    7. Cumbest - RF
    8. Leggett - 3B
    9. Forsythe - SS

Landon Jordan leaving hurts
    Hancock in LF? After watching him at 1B, I would be scared. My LF would be a Skinner/McDonald platoon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Hancock in LF? After watching him at 1B, I would be scared. My LF would be a Skinner/McDonald platoon.
    And where would you put him? There's no situation that will be perfect. Otherwise, we would've already done it. You have to pick your poison. Hatcher's bat and James glove scares me more than Hancock (or maybe James) in LF

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Hatch has never good. Otherwise, he'd have been an everyday starter before this year. His bat is terrible. His defense is barely average. We're short players. That's not hard to see. It's the difference between good and great. The bottom half of the lineup is pretty weak with the bat. We're still playing bad defenders to get a bat in the lineup or bad hitters for some defense. We need to recruit better.
    Hatcher was a .300 hitter as a Sophomore and the shortened 2020 season. He hit .259 as a freshman. It isn't like he has always been this bad.

I still think we should bench him though. You have to get Cumbest in the lineup somehow.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    And where would you put him? There's no situation that will be perfect. Otherwise, we would've already done it. You have to pick your poison. Hatcher's bat and James glove scares me more than Hancock (or maybe James) in LF
    James glove is better than Hatcher?s bat and Hancock?s glove. Period end of the story.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    James glove is better than Hatcher?s bat and Hancock?s glove. Period end of the story.
    I disagree.

vCash
    Cumbest should be playing ahead of Skinner, and Clark should be given a try at 1st base. Every team now knows how to pitch to James, breaking balls, same for Forsythe but he will get better in time. Hancock needs to get going, like i've said in another post, he is somewhat productive but he isn't just crushing the ball. I also would platoon 2nd base.

If I'm James, I would try to play in the outfield next year, he has a good arm and has some speed.

Let's win the series against the Aggies, one game at a time and quit thinking and talking about sweeps. Hell most everyone on ED including me was hoping not to be swept by "Vandy Boys".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Cumbest should be playing ahead of Skinner, and Clark should be given a try at 1st base. Every team now knows how to pitch to James, breaking balls, same for Forsythe but he will get better in time. Hancock needs to get going, like i've said in another post, he is somewhat productive but he isn't just crushing the ball. I also would platoon 2nd base.

If I'm James, I would try to play in the outfield next year, he has a good arm and has some speed.

Let's win the series against the Aggies, one game at a time and quit thinking and talking about sweeps. Hell most everyone on ED including me was hoping not to be swept by "Vandy Boys".
    Good post. Kam is just not an infielder. He'll get moved to the outfield in mlb, has a good arm and great speed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Good post. Kam is just not an infielder. He'll get moved to the outfield in mlb, has a good arm and great speed.
    I ask someone IF they thought he could play in the outfield, they said he could. Much easier adjustment than playing the infield and not quiet the pressure. I'd insert Clark, if he is our future might as well put him in for a few series and let's see. I'm not sold on Skinner, he like 3 or 4 or or guys can't pick up on the breaking balls, Cumbest is as good of an outfielder Skinner. James has talent but he is being exposed with the breaking balls and his defense has really suffered. Imagine slumping at the plate and making critical errors at third?

Btw, I think Vandy is a little better than Arkansas, they have the advantage on the mound. I think us, Sc and Tn are the next best teams with Florida and Om being middle of pack.

vCash
    I ask someone IF they thought he could play in the outfield, they said he could. Much easier adjustment than playing the infield and not quiet the pressure. I'd insert Clark, if he is our future might as well put him in for a few series and let's see. I'm not sold on Skinner, he like 3 or 4 or or guys can't pick up on the breaking balls, Cumbest is as good of an outfielder Skinner. James has talent but he is being exposed with the breaking balls and his defense has really suffered. Imagine slumping at the plate and making critical errors at third?

Btw, I think Vandy is a little better than Arkansas, they have the advantage on the mound. I think us, Sc and Tn are the next best teams with Florida and Om being middle of pack.
    Yeah Kam had a really bad weekend, didn't hit and struck out to much, along with playing poor defense. If he's gonna make it I believe his best shot is in the outfield. We should give Clark a shot, Hatcher's just not giving us anything at the plate and his defense is average at best. I think Cumbest has earned a shot in the outfield as well. Skinner just can't hit a breaking ball yet and Cumbest is as good defensively, sure couldn't hurt to give him a chance out there. I agree with your rankings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah Kam had a really bad weekend, didn't hit and struck out to much, along with playing poor defense. If he's gonna make it I believe his best shot is in the outfield. We should give Clark a shot, Hatcher's just not giving us anything at the plate and his defense is average at best. I think Cumbest has earned a shot in the outfield as well. Skinner just can't hit a breaking ball yet and Cumbest is as good defensively, sure couldn't hurt to give him a chance out there. I agree with your rankings.
    I sent you a PM also.

As far as pitching goes, Arkansas and Vandy are the two best hitting teams in the Sec, as far as Friday night, no matter who pitched for us we weren't gonna beat Rocker that night. I also believe we did the right thing bringing in Sims Saturday as "you play the win the game today" and worry about what to do the next day! And far as the Sunday game, it's pretty easy to second guess "take him out, leave him in" after the fact. It was our lack of clutch hitting early in the game with bases loaded twice as well as men in scoring position a few other time.

vCash
    I sent you a PM also.

As far as pitching goes, Arkansas and Vandy are the two best hitting teams in the Sec, as far as Friday night, no matter who pitched for us we weren't gonna beat Rocker that night. I also believe we did the right thing bringing in Sims Saturday as "you play the win the game today" and worry about what to do the next day! And far as the Sunday game, it's pretty easy to second guess "take him out, leave him in" after the fact. It was our lack of clutch hitting early in the game with bases loaded twice as well as men in scoring position a few other time.
    Agreed. Just like you said we could've blown that game yesterday wide open with a couple of hits. We had runners all over the place the first 3-4 innings and couldn't add on. And then add the fact our defense cost us a couple runs and there you go.

vCash
    To me, the fix is pretty simple if you move TA back to 1B. Then you're able to get rid of Hatch's bat, while probably improving your outfield defense. James isn't great at 3B, but he's far from our biggest issue.

Rowdey CF
    Allen 1B
    James 3B
    Hancock DH
    Tanner C
    Dubrule 2B
    Mule RF
    Skinner LF
    Forsythe SS

Teach Forsythe and Skinner how to freaking bunt. Use Hatcher as a potential veteran pinch hitter for when they try to go RHP in the postseason if needed. And for God's sake, quit leaving pitchers in too long....you have a ton of capable arms, USE THEM!