Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: MSU-Vandy Game 3

vCash
    So we only scored 1 run on a Sunday after the first inning? That won't win many rubber games.

vCash
    Oh well. Frustrating to lose that game after the fast start but not a bad weekend for State.

Take 1 and compete very well in the other two. Onward to the next one and get better for the NCAAs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Well who is elite? 3rd in sec in era, 1st in Ks, 2nd in opposing BA
    Sims skews our bullpen's numbers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog1 View Post
    Does kumar and leiter skew vandy's?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Our pitching is good but by no means is it "elite". I keep hearing that word used and early in the year I would've agreed w/you but the last month we have been so, so. Our pitching staff is good, not great and by no means "elite".
    I mean I guess if you specify certain criteria you might be right and we are not perfect, but overall when you are talking staff if we are not elite then not many are. We just held the best hitting team in the league to like a .215 avg for the weekend and struck them out 39 times. That’s around 10% of all of their K’s this season happened this weekend.

vCash
    Look how much the ERA has jumped since we've gotten deep into league play over the last month. What starter do you have confidence in being able to give you 5-6 or more strong innings when they take the hill?
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    From sps:

James, Skinner, Hatcher, and Forsythe: 9 for last 80

vCash
    He is still part of the bullpen that helps make it elite? I don’t understand that argument. But we have a lot of guys who avg above a K per inning.

vCash
    Not blaming any one player or two but James had a terrible weekend. Hancock is somewhat productive but he isn?t hitting the ball hard. Hatcher, well it seems to be way more than a slump! Skinner isn?t a Sec everyday play.

Our pitching wasn?t terrible against maybe the best or second best team in the country. We didn?t clutch hit enough today and errors hurt us today. Fristoe will be good in time, Bednar is our best starter, Damn I wish Certania was what we hoped he would be!

We got a chance to win every series the rest of the way. Not sure we will but maybe we can get another sweep.

Regardless this team want quit!

vCash
    Not having B Smith hurt us too. He could have pitched last night instead of Sims

vCash
    From sps:

That's tough. Like I said before, 3 hole guy can't be that bad for the weekend. He's got to figure it out. Cumbest looked steady and patient at the plate today. He deserves time over Skinner right now. Forsythe has to play. Can't remember the kids name but maybe he should get some playing time at first. Commerce mentioned him earlier.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    So about our elite bullpen, just can?t have bad days against good teams
    If you don't use all your bullpen doesn't matter how good you are. We made decisions like we had no one else to pitch all weekend. Left Mac and Fristoe in too long.

vCash
    From sps:

James is the key man to fix, he has to hit. Seems Ole Miss and Vandy found his kryptonite. He is looking like Reid Humphries lately.

Forsythe is a freshman, gotta pay the price for his glove because the next man up at SS was bad defensively. Doesn’t Leggett play SS?

Skinner, Hatcher, and Hancock are matchup guys. They should be on a platoon with Cumbest and McDonald.

vCash
    We're 9-3 in our last 4 sec series, we've got some warts just like every team in the country. Watch other teams around the country and you'll find out how good we really are. It's the reason we're ranked so high because compared to other teams around the country we're that good. Yeah we've got stuff to work on but all in all we're playing pretty well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    We're 9-3 in our last 4 sec series, we've got some warts just like every team in the country. Watch other teams around the country and you'll find out how good we really are. It's the reason we're ranked so high because compared to other teams around the country we're that good. Yeah we've got stuff to work on but all in all we're playing pretty well.
    We are playing fairly well but our averages up and down the lineup doesn't scream championship team. I thought the cumbest change was warranted and I think Clark to first is warranted. And if our pen is so good and deep, why were we so slow to go to it today? Lastly, Geatreau(sp) needs to get James back on track if he's our 3 hole guy. Just seems like a lot of holes to me to be elite. But maybe like you said, other clubs are just not as good as us.

vCash
    1. Cumbest needs to be in the lineup everyday. Of course I've been saying this since early March

2. James and GoTro are going to have to get in the lab and figure out a plan agains the curveball b/c he is not going to see many fastballs going forward

3. Time to play Clark at 1B. By the Regionals, he will be able to help us and he can run into a pitch for a homer

4. Need to have a plan for Sundays and I think that plan should be to pull Fristoe after 1 trip thru the order. If our bullpen is our strength, then let's use it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    1. Cumbest needs to be in the lineup everyday. Of course I've been saying this since early March

2. James and GoTro are going to have to get in the lab and figure out a plan agains the curveball b/c he is not going to see many fastballs going forward

3. Time to play Clark at 1B. By the Regionals, he will be able to help us and he can run into a pitch for a homer

4. Need to have a plan for Sundays and I think that plan should be to pull Fristoe after 1 trip thru the order. If our bullpen is our strength, then let's use it.
    This is probably our best bet. Let him go through the lineup one time, let Harding go through it one time, and then have some sort of combo of Simmons/Smith/Stinnett/Tullar/Tepper to be able to bridge you to Landon for the 9th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post

I like the 1-time thru plan for fristoe. The problem is coaches always fall for the he's-in-a-groove, and then before you know it, we're in a bind. Gotta have the discipline to stick with the plan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I like the 1-time thru plan for fristoe. The problem is coaches always fall for the he's-in-a-groove, and then before you know it, we're in a bind. Gotta have the discipline to stick with the plan
    That is exactly what happened Sunday. We were up big, Fristoe was in a groove and they said hey lets try it. I was fine with that until he got in trouble, the meeting on the mound should have been the change but we stayed with it and cost us 3 runs and maybe the game in one decision.

We have the arms to go one inning at a time if we need to. Vandy pulled their starter in middle of first inning. That was the game.