Thread: Thinking outside the box

vCash

Thinking outside the box

Why not thrown Cerentola tonight and hope He clicks. save Bednar for Saturday. If the Canadian pitches like he?d did last week , it might be worth the gamble. Also play Big Country in left and Clarke at first.

vCash
    No. Fristoe needs to start this weekend too. Cerentola needs to continue to learn how to pitch out of the bullpen.

vCash
    No. Just no. Why concede a game?

vCash
    I'd pitch Cerantola if Vandy agrees to start their 12th option out of the bullpen. Otherwise, no. We're likely not going to win, but you don't concede the game before it starts.

vCash
    This start is why you don’t concede a game before the first pitch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    This start is why you don?t concede a game before the first pitch.
    Bingo. This is why 99% of people who think they can be a baseball coach can't be a baseball coach. They think they've got the obvious solution and why the hell does the head coach not figure this out?

When you have a team as talented as ours, consistency is really key. Making a bunch of changes or trying to be cute and outsmart people doesn't make sense. If you are good, let your team be good and compete. Lemonis by and large let's his team play. He doesn't meddle too much. And I think that's important when you have the talent we do.

vCash
    Your idea was sooooo good....

vCash
    Stay in the box.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Bingo. This is why 99% of people who think they can be a baseball coach can't be a baseball coach. They think they've got the obvious solution and why the hell does the head coach not figure this out?

When you have a team as talented as ours, consistency is really key. Making a bunch of changes or trying to be cute and outsmart people doesn't make sense. If you are good, let your team be good and compete. Lemonis by and large let's his team play. He doesn't meddle too much. And I think that's important when you have the talent we do.
    Try coaching high school baseball. Its terrible!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    Try coaching high school baseball. Its terrible!
    I was an assistant at the high school level for 4 years. So I completely understand what you mean. Lots of folks don't see the other things that go on that tell you why coaches make the decisions they do. And that's at every level.

vCash
    If we can hit Vandy bullpen today and I think we can, I like our chances with our bullpen. Got to have a short leash though. Can't give up too many easy bases especially with the stealer getting on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    If we can hit Vandy bullpen today and I think we can, I like our chances with our bullpen. Got to have a short leash though. Can't give up too many easy bases especially with the stealer getting on.
    So much for the short lease. Sheesh. I'm still pissed.

vCash
    we might have won 2 games--but some of Y'all are happy with one. Big red needs to be pitching with a short lease. Shit shouldn't have brought in Sims Sat. . But our Coach played scared. Sims could have come in Sunday when we were up 4-1 and we would have won 2. but no, we pitched him Saturday when we had a large lead. Just playing to win 1.

I would also have tried-Leggett at 3td-- Mcdonald at DH--Clarke or James at 1st. And for sure Big Country in Left.. would have saved Skinner to pinch run and tried to steal all the way the 3td.
    Last edited by tcdog70; 04-27-2021 at 10:12 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    we might have won 2 games--but some of Y'all are happy with one. Big red needs to be pitching with a short lease. Shit shouldn't have brought in Sims Sat. . But our Coach played scared. Sims could have come in Sunday when we were up 4-1 and we would have won 2. but no, we pitched him Saturday when we had a large lead. Just playing to win 1.

I would also have tried-Leggett at 3td-- Mcdonald at DH--Clarke or James at 1st. And for sure Big Country in Left.. would have saved Skinner to pinch run and tried to steal all the way the 3td.
    He didn't play scared, he played to win that game and won it. If he had not used Sims on Saturday there is no guarantee they would ever have the lead Sunday. Lemonis has to do what he thinks will work before it happens, not afterward. This after the game bitching is annoying as 17.

Yes, they lost a series at Vandy, we may get another chance and things just may go differently. Maybe Brandon Smith will be available to come in when Sims did to close it out next time. Who knows what transpire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    He didn't play scared, he played to win that game and won it. If he had not used Sims on Saturday there is no guarantee they would ever have the lead Sunday. Lemonis has to do what he thinks will work before it happens, not afterward. This after the game bitching is annoying as 17.

Yes, they lost a series at Vandy, we may get another chance and things just may go differently. Maybe Brandon Smith will be available to come in when Sims did to close it out next time. Who knows what transpire.
    right--he played scared--All I've heard is how good our bull pin is. But lemonis must not believe in them. If He did he would have pitched them Saturday and won Sunday with Sims.

vCash
    Scared? Not at all. You can't wait to win games. He was going to have to use Sims to win one a game. He did, there is no way of knowing they would even need Sims Sunday or not. You win the game in front of you not guess about the next one. That's the best way to go about it and I have never known a good manager do it otherwise.

It would have been great to have had Brandon Smith there on Saturday or Sunday as an option but he was not. Even without him we had other guys that could have gotten it done on Sunday. You just want to bad mouth a coach for losing a series at Vandy. It's weak.

vCash

We were down in the 5th inning on Sunday. Are we going to bring Sims in for the last 3+ innings? I would have been ok rolling the dice with somebody else on Saturday, but not sure how much difference it would have made on Sunday, even if it worked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    We were down in the 5th inning on Sunday. Are we going to bring Sims in for the last 3+ innings? I would have been ok rolling the dice with somebody else on Saturday, but not sure how much difference it would have made on Sunday, even if it worked.
    If Coach L would have yanked jackson when we had a 4-1 lead and brought in Sims he could have pitched 3-4 innings. I'm saying our bullpen is supposed to be elite, then use them quicker and stay out of trouble. 17 the matrix, use what your eyes can see. it is baseball not rocket science

vCash
    If Coach L would have yanked jackson when we had a 4-1 lead and brought in Sims he could have pitched 3-4 innings. I'm saying our bullpen is supposed to be elite, then use them quicker and stay out of trouble. 17 the matrix, use what your eyes can see. it is baseball not rocket science
    It is baseball and baseball players, pitchers especially, are creatures of routine. Your whole premise was flawed to begin with when you started this thread. You never remove your best starter off of his schedule start. Which you initially wanted to do. And Bednar beat Leiter Sat night. EC wasn’t ever going to do that and your idea was based on an extreme gamble but your thought was to have Bednar for Sunday to possibly win that game hoping to at least salvage 1 win. So why twist this thread into a 2 game win when you obviously started the thread on a hope and prayer that EC would do something that he has proven he can’t do all year.

The rest of this is moot and not anyway coaching as you have the results in front of you how the games played out. If Sims doesn’t give up runs in the 7th Sat, just get his 2 outs and we still have a 6 run lead, then he very well may have been pulled to have him for Sunday. No way to know that since we have the benefit of the results and the result was Sims not executing in the 7th. When he didn’t hold on Sat, he had to go the distance at that point. It also shows how even Sims operates much better pitching just the 8th and 9th innings, so again it’s about where pitchers are comfortable coming into a game as well. I think we should have pulled Fristoe sooner as well, but even if Sims was available, I’m going with Hardin next. We are the number 4 team with the country, you don’t make wild ass changes in your pitching rotations when you are already a really good team.

vCash
    right--he played scared--All I've heard is how good our bull pin is. But lemonis must not believe in them. If He did he would have pitched them Saturday and won Sunday with Sims.
    He played scared??? Coming from the chicken shit who wanted to forfeit the sat game Bc no chance we beat leiter. You lost all credibility to even post after that take and then trying to double back Bc w didn't win two. Carry on.

And FYI it's bull"pen" Not pin.