Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitting

vCash

Hitting

I must admit, I'm pretty disappointed in our hitting. I really feel like Gautreau has been a great coach for us up until this year, but this year has been rough so far. There's still time to heat up the bats, and it only matters how we're swinging them come tourney time...but what do you guys attribute our lack of hitting this year to? Was Mangum that much of a leader that he made others around him swing it better? Is Gautreau not what we thought, or is this year the anamoly?

vCash
    Does suck at some critical Times.

vCash
    It's not Gautreau, we are pretty average in the Sec as far as hitting. Hitting coaches can only do so much, talent always is what makes hitters, not coaching.

Rocker is solid, he makes hitters look bad because he is a "Roger Clemens" type pitcher, his stats are off the chart. Today we probably want look good at the plate as well.

I wasn't surprised we only had 3 hits and two runs, like I said probably will look similar to day. Vandy's two Aces are the best I have ever seen in college.
    Last edited by basedog; 04-24-2021 at 11:20 AM.

vCash
    Well after last night this tells you about that we have maybe 2 players who are MLB ready.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    It's not Gautreau, we are pretty average in the Sec as far as hitting. Hitting coaches can only do so much, talent always is what makes hitters, not coaching.

Rocker is solid, he makes hitters look bad because he is a "Roger Clemens" type pitcher, his stats are off the chart. Today we probably want look good at the plate as well.

I wasn't surprised we only had 3 hits and two runs, like I said probably will look similar to day. Vandy's two Aces are the best I have ever seen in college.
    I agree that Vandy isn't the measuring stick by any means, but it hasn't just been versus Vandy. We are pretty close to the bottom of the hitting stats in all major categories in the SEC if I'm not mistaken. We recruit at a pretty high level. Just seems like we have way too much talent to only have a guy or two hitting .300. Again, not writing the bats off, but anyone thinking our hitting is living up to the potential right now, is lying to themselves. I just hope we figure it out at the perfect time.

vCash
    I will say this though, to our team's credit we aren't striking out a ton, which is great....but a lot of weak contact. That's why I'm still hopeful we will heat up. We're making contact, just time to start squaring some balls up and doing it against some of the better arms we face. There won't be many weak arms we'll face the rest of the way

vCash
    Just seems we haven't done nearly a good enough job at getting high end hitters to campus. Every time any of them get a sniff in the draft they are gone. We've had much more success with getting pitchers to forego pro ball which to me seems odd since pitchers are way more likely to suffer an injury in college that would prevent them from ever seeing the big bonus money again. Really hate we missed out on Westburg and Foscue in their final year last year because I think that team had a better chance of making a deep run in Omaha than this year's team does. We just have trouble scoring at all against top end pitching and that is mostly what we will see in a Super and in Omaha.

vCash
    What Basedog said. You can hit or you cannot hit. Geautreau can fine tune some things but not just wave a magic wand and make a hitter out of someone who is not.

vCash
    We may not be great but we have shown the past 3 weeks we can be as good as anyone else in the league. Good pitching always impacts hitting. Vandy to me looked bad too. If Mac had not have walked a bunch, it looks different. Olemiss pitcher made us look lot worse than Rocker. Rocker is good but he throws a lot of balls that we swing at.

vCash
    While I disagree somewhat that a really good hitting coach can’t help a player in college become a better hitter or else you would never see progress from any hitters. But the player has to have the necessary tools, work ethic, and ability to learn to read this higher level spin. However, we don’t have the depth and/or experience of hitters that are ready to for this level. Hatcher’s big regression has hurt a good bit, Hancock is still giving professional AB’s but the average has regressed. Forsythe is hitting better than many thought as a Freshman, Logan Tanner, Clark, Kyte, and some others are showing promise that we have a nucleus of hitters with a higher hit ability to start with that the offense will most likely improve in the coming years. Just a bad mix I think this year of Freshman/young guys who are just not quite ready and guys who are not contributing like we had hoped.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I agree that Vandy isn't the measuring stick by any means, but it hasn't just been versus Vandy. We are pretty close to the bottom of the hitting stats in all major categories in the SEC if I'm not mistaken. We recruit at a pretty high level. Just seems like we have way too much talent to only have a guy or two hitting .300. Again, not writing the bats off, but anyone thinking our hitting is living up to the potential right now, is lying to themselves. I just hope we figure it out at the perfect time.
    The last few years we had really good hitters, two first rounders. We don't have anyone that will be a first rounder in our lineup. After this weekend and even today, we will be ok I think.

Let's pitch lights out and win 1-0 today. I sure hope to see Sims coming from the pen today, if so we have more than a better chance of winning. LOL!

vCash
    We are just not built well this year. Our power hitters are mostly underclassmen. Skinner has been hurt. Hatcher has been way off this year and Dubrule hasn't been as advertised.

We're recruiting better though it won't show up for another year or two. Eventually we will typically have more contact oriented guys in the middle of the diamond and in CF and then we'll have more power oriented guys at the corners like a typical MLB team. This current class has some of the better hitters in our recruiting class than I have seen side the Westburg/Foscue/Allen class a few years ago. Really like Jordan McCants, Jeffrey Ince, Hunter Hines, Aaron Downs, Trey Higgins, Bryce Chance, and Cole Slater. That's a pretty projectable group and we should be able to get most if not all into school.

vCash
    How 'Bout tonight?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    How 'Bout tonight?
    Looking much better tonight. We hit like this the rest of the year we'll be extremely dangerous

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    How 'Bout tonight?
    Just Awesome! Logan Tanner with a huge night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We are just not built well this year. Our power hitters are mostly underclassmen. Skinner has been hurt. Hatcher has been way off this year and Dubrule hasn't been as advertised.

We're recruiting better though it won't show up for another year or two. Eventually we will typically have more contact oriented guys in the middle of the diamond and in CF and then we'll have more power oriented guys at the corners like a typical MLB team. This current class has some of the better hitters in our recruiting class than I have seen side the Westburg/Foscue/Allen class a few years ago. Really like Jordan McCants, Jeffrey Ince, Hunter Hines, Aaron Downs, Trey Higgins, Bryce Chance, and Cole Slater. That's a pretty projectable group and we should be able to get most if not all into school.
    Good post. It's just a crap shoot getting guys here. Mccants might not get here. Ince isn't a hitter. But your point stands

vCash
    Just Awesome! Logan Tanner with a huge night.
    He's the only position player we have that will play in the bigs. Unless kameron learns how to hit a breaking ball. Good player but not a big leaguer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    He's the only position player we have that will play in the bigs. Unless kameron learns how to hit a breaking ball. Good player but not a big leaguer.
    Logan want be paid to hit but his catching and throwing is as good as it gets. Actually we have had several really good catchers.

vCash
    The hitting has been getting consistently better.

vCash
    Logan want be paid to hit but his catching and throwing is as good as it gets. Actually we have had several really good catchers.
    Logan Tanner is a star and his stock is rising like crazy as it should. We have some others that are starting to come around some too. We need a few more guys to get hot and we are in business.