Thread: DH: Position is Sub Optimized

vCash

DH: Position is Sub Optimized

Why do we DH with a 0.187 hitter (Conference Stats). You take away the Auburn weekend where even our 1B had 3 hits, our DH is only hitting 0.111 in the SEC.

In Hawkins field, with that short porch in Left. Seems we should DH Cumbest or Kyte McDonald. But even outside of Hawkins field, you can't have a 0.111 conference batting average DH unless the kid has freakish power or can steal bases on demand. The nice trait that our DH has though, is a 307 OBP (SEC Stats) and making contact. That's good.

Our 1B only has One BB in the SEC

vCash
    If you're waiting on this team to be a great hitting team, you'll be waiting awhile. If you're waiting on changes, you'll be waiting just as long.

vCash
    Valid Points, I will add that I remember several key Sac fly's in the Kentucky series, he makes contact from my observations that has led to runs, where a strikeout would leave the following batter needing to get a hit to get a run home. that doesn't take away from your premise, we need production from that spot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgNsuds View Post
    Valid Points, I will add that I remember several key Sac fly's in the Kentucky series, he makes contact from my observations that has led to runs, where a strikeout would leave the following batter needing to get a hit to get a run home. that doesn't take away from your premise, we need production from that spot.
    The player is not without merits, with 57 SEC At Bats in 15 games, he should have some SAC flies and RBIs in that time frame. He even started hot, hit +500 in the Arlington series. By the way, the 1B'man hit 385 in Arlington.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Why do we DH with a 0.187 hitter (Conference Stats). You take away the Auburn weekend where even our 1B had 3 hits, our DH is only hitting 0.111 in the SEC.

In Hawkins field, with that short porch in Left. Seems we should DH Cumbest or Kyte McDonald. But even outside of Hawkins field, you can't have a 0.111 conference batting average DH unless the kid has freakish power or can steal bases on demand. The nice trait that our DH has though, is a 307 OBP (SEC Stats) and making contact. That's good.

Our 1B only has One BB in the SEC
    McDonald might could be an option if he had more SEC at bats, but Rocker and Leiter would screw Cumbest into the ground with breaking balls.

vCash
    a better question: Skinner or Cumbest? I think a strong case can be made for Mule right now.

vCash
    Cumbest is getting screwed over- it's beyond obvious at this point
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I thought it was interesting that OM, with a team full of .320-.350 hitters, had a DH hitting around .200.

vCash
    It's hard to optimize our offense period. Really it's almost better to go for maximum defense because as it is we're typically finding ways to score 5 runs or more. Which is fine.