Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Women's Basketball Recruiting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdelta02 View Post
    Coach McCray-Penson bringing in all of this very high level talent, and top level assistant coaches is scaring.Miss. State fans that dislike and hate her....these pulling hard for her to fail. Won't her to just give up, and go away, disappear. It hurts them to see positive offseason movement. Good bit of them were against her even before she coached her first game at Miss. State. Some of their hearts are still with the old state flag, old Mississippi, old south, vain. pride, confederate views, stand by police and other. racial violence and injustice..these type values. ect. Though, some fans don't see themselves as listed above...still good to check in the mirror.

Yes, some people....are waking up. Pharaoh in the scriptures arms were too short to fight against , the most high, our Heavenly Father...still nothing changed today..
    jdelta, I for one like your "moxie" and appreciate the infor you provide as well as you going all Dawg in for Penson. I'm hoping and would never pull against any Coach at Msu nor team. But in saying this, talent isn't good unless you bring desire, hustle and discipline, there was known last year, to me it's a poor excuse to say "it wasn't her players". No way on God's green earth should have been as bad as we were last year. I coached basketball, believe me I know what I saw. Let's hope she does as you think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    jdelta, I for one like your "moxie" and appreciate the infor you provide as well as you going all Dawg in for Penson. I'm hoping and would never pull against any Coach at Msu nor team. But in saying this, talent isn't good unless you bring desire, hustle and discipline, there was known last year, to me it's a poor excuse to say "it wasn't her players". No way on God's green earth should have been as bad as we were last year. I coached basketball, believe me I know what I saw. Let's hope she does as you think.
    I coached 16 U AAU basketball too for many years here in North Carolina, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that my most talented teams were NOT always my best teams. Talent, ego and selfishness can get in the way. She didn't recruit alot of that talent so she wasn't able to put her stamp on them like maybe Vic could ( he recruited them all and they knew his system). It doesn't make her a bad coach... let her implement her recruits, her system and then judge her from that.

vCash

May sound sexist, but

Did you coach girls? I have coached basketball (and other sports) for boys and girls, and coaching females is a LOT different than males. Young men are like robots, just know which buttons to push. Young women, well I will just say it's a LOT DIFFERENT.

Pinson did not impress as much as I would have thought based on her resume, but it was an exceptional time (covid). This next season will most likely reflect what her potential is, so fan support is of the utmost.

jdelta's updates are one of the main reason I frequent this page.

vCash
    Coach McCray-Penson bringing in all of this very high level talent, and top level assistant coaches is scaring.Miss. State fans that dislike and hate her....these pulling hard for her to fail. Won't her to just give up, and go away, disappear. It hurts them to see positive offseason movement. Good bit of them were against her even before she coached her first game at Miss. State. Some of their hearts are still with the old state flag, old Mississippi, old south, vain. pride, confederate views, stand by police and other. racial violence and injustice..these type values. ect. Though, some fans don't see themselves as listed above...still good to check in the mirror.

Yes, some people....are waking up. Pharaoh in the scriptures arms were too short to fight against , the most high, our Heavenly Father...still nothing changed today..
    Glad you said this. You will probably get some backlash for saying it but it is the truth. She definitely had people hoping she failed before coaching her 1st game which is pathetic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    Did you coach girls? I have coached basketball (and other sports) for boys and girls, and coaching females is a LOT different than males. Young men are like robots, just know which buttons to push. Young women, well I will just say it's a LOT DIFFERENT.

Pinson did not impress as much as I would have thought based on her resume, but it was an exceptional time (covid). This next season will most likely reflect what her potential is, so fan support is of the utmost.

I coached boys mostly but a good friend of mine coached girls and I was around alot of his practices helping some. And I agree totally, coaching girls vs boys are totally different. And I'll even go a step further and say being a female head coach (especially being somewhat young) may give you a disadvantage because some of these young girls almost feel like your an equal to them and will test you.. So depending on how they were raised, that tough mean male coach is what they need. Of course not all cases though.

vCash

I guess it's my turn to be offended. Your little bullcrap rant above implies that anyone that is not a fan of Penson is somehow racists. You my friend is what is wrong with the world.
    I was cautiously excited when we hired her. Knowing she was linked to Pat Summit, I thought she might be able to take the talent and culture she was handed, add a little defensive diversity, and be that one that could get us past that runner up hump.
    What I got was a coach that seemed to have no control over or respect from her team. She laid a big fat egg last year and earned 100% of the doubt she is getting.

If she takes her new players and coaches and shows big improvement this year. Hail State!. I want to State to win in every sport, every engineering competition, spelling bee, you name it. And I don't give two rat turds what the players or coaches that get us there look like (except maybe gingers from down under).

So you can take you old south/confederate/racial crap and go hide in you panty drawer until it is actually needed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post

I coached both boys and girls. I coached and treated both equal, to think I would treat girls different is wrong, it's basketball which involves x and o's, also discipline is the same. Btw, I won state championships in both girls and boys, I also coach college a few years as an assistant.
    I'm not bashing anyone on here, it's just my thoughts, I just like everyone else will wait and see, I'm just not getting that fuzzy feeling about what I saw last year.
    P.S. Girls will react just like boys, talented players will adjust if not be gone!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I coached both boys and girls. I coached and treated both equal, to think I would treat girls different is wrong, it's basketball which involves x and o's, also discipline is the same. Btw, I won state championships in both girls and boys, I also coach college a few years as an assistant.
    I'm not bashing anyone on here, it's just my thoughts, I just like everyone else will wait and see, I'm just not getting that fuzzy feeling about what I saw last year.
    P.S. Girls will react just like boys, talented players will adjust if not be gone!
    Well I didn't get the warm and fuzzy's either, I can't lie but I also understand when there is a big coaching change, everything doesnt run smoothly in the transition, so I have to give her a little more time and not judge one season.

I never coached at the College level, but I did coach in some big AAU tournaments here and sent 3 players off to play college ball, one of which is now overseas playing professionally and trains with the Gasol Brothers and Ricky Rubio. I've been around alot of different players, girls and boys and I disagree with you in one aspect. I couldn't treat and talk to the girls the same way I did my boys. While you can still be strict and discipline the girls, as a man I couldn't get in a young lady's face and yell at her like I could some of my boy players who needed to be yelled at like that. In my experiences it was a difference, not a huge difference but a difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NWADAWG View Post
    I guess it's my turn to be offended. Your little bullcrap rant above implies that anyone that is not a fan of Penson is somehow racists. You my friend is what is wrong with the world.
    I was cautiously excited when we hired her. Knowing she was linked to Pat Summit, I thought she might be able to take the talent and culture she was handed, add a little defensive diversity, and be that one that could get us past that runner up hump.
    What I got was a coach that seemed to have no control over or respect from her team. She laid a big fat egg last year and earned 100% of the doubt she is getting.

If she takes her new players and coaches and shows big improvement this year. Hail State!. I want to State to win in every sport, every engineering competition, spelling bee, you name it. And I don't give two rat turds what the players or coaches that get us there look like (except maybe gingers from down under).

So you can take you old south/confederate/racial crap and go hide in you panty drawer until it is actually needed.
    I cant speak for jdelta and I know this wasn't directed at me but when NMP was hired here and was asked to speak at the proposed changing of the Mississippi flag event that happened, alot of MSU fans turned on her and got mad right away and didn't like what she said at the speech and going forward. Even on this board you can go back and see some the the backlash she took. That is my point when I said she had an X on her back before she coached her 1st game.

vCash
    [QUOTE=jdelta02;1322860]Coach McCray-Penson bringing in all of this very high level talent, and top level assistant coaches is scaring.Miss. State fans that dislike and hate her....these pulling hard for her to fail. Won't her to just give up, and go away, disappear. It hurts them to see positive offseason movement. Good bit of them were against her even before she coached her first game at Miss. State. Some of their hearts are still with the old state flag, old Mississippi, old south, vain. pride, confederate views, stand by police and other. racial violence and injustice..these type values. ect. Though, some fans don't see themselves as listed above...still good to check in the mirror.

Yes, some people....are waking up. Pharaoh in the scriptures arms were too short to fight against , the most high, our Heavenly Father...still nothing changed today..[/QUOTE
    To suggest that any criticism is based on the color of her skin is very unfair. To be racist is one of the worst things a person can be. However this isn?t the first time you have made a broad accusation that if someone criticizes Coach McCray-Penson they are racist. This has been a good discussion of potential players until that digression.

After Jeff Walz she was my next choice to get the job and I was very excited to hire her. However I could not find anything during the season to give me any measure of hope she will or can be successful. Further I think the criticism of her in this post and others has been spot on. I certainly could not give you any measurable stat to counter anything said. In contrast I?ve been very pleased with her offseason to date to include the assistant coaches and players. However I?m still waiting to see if she can get things going back in a positive direction. Ultimately I?m still very guarded in any optimism that she can pull it off.

vCash
    51 posts? Kudos to y'all for caring this much for WBB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    I cant speak for jdelta and I know this wasn't directed at me but when NMP was hired here and was asked to speak at the proposed changing of the Mississippi flag event that happened, alot of MSU fans turned on her and got mad right away and didn't like what she said at the speech and going forward. Even on this board you can go back and see some the the backlash she took. That is my point when I said she had an X on her back before she coached her 1st game.
    This

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    51 posts? Kudos to y'all for caring this much for WBB.
    You made it 52

vCash

Or maybe she just didn't perform well enough.

vCash
    10000% truth

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    10000% truth
    This didn?t come up in this thread. The criticism is about her performance and she has certainly done plenty to merit it. If someone brought up the flag deal then fine, direct a response to that person. However to blanket call everyone who criticizes her racist isn?t remotely fair.

vCash
    I coached 16 U AAU basketball too for many years here in North Carolina, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that my most talented teams were NOT always my best teams. Talent, ego and selfishness can get in the way. She didn't recruit alot of that talent so she wasn't able to put her stamp on them like maybe Vic could ( he recruited them all and they knew his system). It doesn't make her a bad coach... let her implement her recruits, her system and then judge her from that.
    Looking at the roster for the coming season it certainly appears to mirror what she said she wanted to as far as style of play. Everything from last season aside I?m still very concerned about the lack of posts. My understanding is that is what she is targeting now and I?m hopeful we are able to address it.

vCash
    My experience in life is the one who calls others racist is usually one themselves. I grew up on a farm and shoveled a lot of shit in my younger days, I can spot a turd a mile away and NMP is one when it comes to coaching. That is all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindog View Post
    Looking at the roster for the coming season it certainly appears to mirror what she said she wanted to as far as style of play. Everything from last season aside I?m still very concerned about the lack of posts. My understanding is that is what she is targeting now and I?m hopeful we are able to address it.
    Exactly, she said she uses alot of players because of the fast paced style she plays. Well she has an abundance of gaurds, playmakers and ball handlers now. I am also concerned with the lack of size as well but from what I've heard and read she is looking to get another big or two.. Right now we have Carter at 6'4", Kohl 6'5" Rickea 6'3" and that's about it in terms of size so we definitely need to get a couple more bigs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    My experience in life is the one who calls others racist is usually one themselves. I grew up on a farm and shoveled a lot of shit in my younger days, I can spot a turd a mile away and NMP is one when it comes to coaching. That is all!
    I'm not saying she will pan out... but I hope you remember saying that if this thing gets turned around with her girls and her fast paced style. It's happened before, don't judge too early

She went 21-11 and 24-6 her last year 2 years at ODU with some good wins in there. Her first season there wasn't great either until she got her girls and got going.
    Last edited by NCMSTFAN; 04-30-2021 at 06:54 PM.