Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Women's Basketball Recruiting

vCash
    After the season we just had, we could sign Rebecca Lobo in her prime and they'd still have to prove we can win before I'd get excited at all. Do you guys really think she can turn it around?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    After the season we just had, we could sign Rebecca Lobo in her prime and they'd still have to prove we can win before I'd get excited at all. Do you guys really think she can turn it around?
    IFFY

vCash
    I can?t say I like Jackson?s video. I didn?t see any skill other than her size that would translate well to SEC play. She scored a little at USC but wasn?t a great rebounder, shot changer and that?s what we really need

She?s better than what we have right now but nothing really special to me

vCash
    I thought the exact same thing only difference was she would 17 up a team with the Boston Celtics. She would have Larry Bird and Kevin McChale on twitter twirking to Green Lives Matter

vCash
    Last edited by jdelta02; 04-27-2021 at 09:45 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdelta02 View Post
    Angel Jackson (2019 McDonald's All-American), Southern Cal transfer....following Coach McCray-Penson on Twitter

another video
    https://youtu.be/9ZVoKSv-DoM
    Jdelta, on tape she doesn't really jump out at you and I'm not really sure how good she can be but she does have a soft touch on her shot and some pretty good moves. I'm not sure about her defense though. But you can't teach 6'5 and we need some size so of she is the best available player we can get, we need to get her. She was a McDonald's All American too so she obviously has talent

vCash
    Few things regarding the Angel Jackson videos that jump out at me....

(Offensively)
    - Has the physical tools, including size
    - Good offensive post positioning, good hands
    - Displays very good, strong post moves
    - Knocking down mid-range and short jumpers

(Defensively)
    - Mostly keeping hands down when guarding in post area, and appears either slow to react or not making much to any effort to defend some (not all) plays. On the other hand...saw a play where she really hustled to get back in transition defense, and ended up making a really good late attempt to block the shot as she caught up with the player finishing at the basket (flash of recovery speed, athleticism). Blocked a shot on another play.

-
    Last edited by jdelta02; 04-30-2021 at 03:14 AM.

vCash
    Alisha Davis, a 6-2 forward, has entered name into the transfer portal..out of Northern Colorado.

(2020-21 Season).....
    2020-21 Big Sky Conference MVP
    17.1 points per game
    10.1 rebounds per game
    2.5. blocks per game
    Last edited by jdelta02; 04-29-2021 at 09:06 PM.

vCash
    Alisha Davis video
    https://youtu.be/dGkX5DAti_U

vCash
    I don't. I just think that McRay-Penson is a not a great fit for us for whatever reason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I don't. I just think that McRay-Penson is a not a great fit for us for whatever reason.
    After one year? This happens more often than not when a coach comes in and takes over a program that just lost their best coach in school history... you rarely see that next coach take off right away. She brought her players and 2 new coaches in now, so give her a fair assessment going forward. It's the same respect you have to give Leach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    After one year? This happens more often than not when a coach comes in and takes over a program that just lost their best coach in school history... you rarely see that next coach take off right away. She brought her players and 2 new coaches in now, so give her a fair assessment going forward. It's the same respect you have to give Leach.
    There's a difference between saying that she has no chance to succeed so fire her now and saying that you don't think she'll make it. She gets this coming year, with her players and coaches, to show what she's got. And it is correct that she is getting this year. However, I am not out of line for doubting that she will be successful.

As for Leach, he is a totally different story. It apples to oranges. He is a proven coach over many years of success at the P5 level. He also inherited a team that didn't have the conditioning or culture to win big regardless of coach or style of offense. We knew from the beginning that Leach had to implement a totally different system and fix a lot of player issues. Any player issues on the ladies team seemed to be under control under the last coach.

vCash
    She signed a whole family to get one player. It's not going to work out.

vCash
    I'm not completely sold on Coach NMP yet either but I also understand everything doesnt happen in year 1 with a new coach. To give her credit she has shown she can recruit ,, we are just as talented or maybe more talented on paper than we have been to include last year's team. Again, I understand that doesn't always mean we will win games but everything starts with recruiting. As of now she has brought in:

Anastasia Hayes ESPNW 100-5 star McDonald's AA.. 26.5 ppg at MTSU

Alasia Hayes ESPNW 100-5 star recruit Notre Dame transfer

Jerkalia Jordan ESPNW 100-5 star recruit 16.7 ppg 2.3 spg transfer from Tulane

Ashley Jones ESPNW 100-4star recruit 16 ppg 4.5 rpg 4.3 apg at Temple

Knisha Godfrey ESPNW 100-4 star recruit High School

Jasmine Shavers ESPNW 100-4 star recruit High school

Aislynn Hayes not ESPN top 100. Averaged 14 ppg, 6 rpg, 3.5 assist at MTSU

She kept Rickea, Jessica Carter, Myah Taylor, Charlotte Kohl and added 2 good assistants and will probably add another big or 2 soon.. The talent is there, it also looks like the coaching staff has upgraded, yes the talent was there last season but these are her recruits and players now. I'm giving her a fair shot going forward, if next year resembles anything close to this past season, then she's not the woman for the job

vCash
    Seems she is lacking discipline, the players after a timeout looked unfazed, not tuned in. Here is the deal, IF some of our players were trouble makers or weren't discipline, she should have run them off or at least suspended. Things got out of control and we got much worse as the season went alone. Some left on there own and maybe some were ask to leave, if you can't control your locker room, no way you can control floor management with players. Lord knows why she didn't get this from Pat Summit who had what it takes in taking control.

vCash
    Kamilla Cardoso to South Carolina

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NWADAWG View Post
    There's a difference between saying that she has no chance to succeed so fire her now and saying that you don't think she'll make it. She gets this coming year, with her players and coaches, to show what she's got. And it is correct that she is getting this year. However, I am not out of line for doubting that she will be successful.

As for Leach, he is a totally different story. It apples to oranges. He is a proven coach over many years of success at the P5 level. He also inherited a team that didn't have the conditioning or culture to win big regardless of coach or style of offense. We knew from the beginning that Leach had to implement a totally different system and fix a lot of player issues. Any player issues on the ladies team seemed to be under control under the last coach.
    Ok but saying that you don't think she will make it is being based off 1 year. Again you rarely see a new coach take over an established program to replace the best coach in the History of said program and hit the ground running.. it is usually a process.

And Mike Leach has been around for years and won alot of games. But what do we consider proven? Since 2000, His best two seasons were 11-2 in 2008 at Texas Tech and 11-2 in 2018 at Washington State. But he's also had a couple 3-9 seasons, a couple 6-7 seasons, a couple 7-6 seasons, 4-7 this season. And to give him credit he's had alot of 8 and 9 win seasons as well. But he hasn't consistently won big either and now he is in the SEC so it will be even tougher. But regardless I still chose to pull for him our program and give him a fair shot just like I am for NMP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    Ok but saying that you don't think she will make it is being based off 1 year. Again you rarely see a new coach take over an established program to replace the best coach in the History of said program and hit the ground running.. it is usually a process.

And Mike Leach has been around for years and won alot of games. But what do we consider proven? Since 2000, His best two seasons were 11-2 in 2008 at Texas Tech and 11-2 in 2018 at Washington State. But he's also had a couple 3-9 seasons, a couple 6-7 seasons, a couple 7-6 seasons, 4-7 this season. And to give him credit he's had alot of 8 and 9 win seasons as well. But he hasn't consistently won big either and now he is in the SEC so it will be even tougher. But regardless I still chose to pull for him our program and give him a fair shot just like I am for NMP
    The team quit on her. There was no organization whatsoever. It should've improved over the season. She'll be gone after next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Seems she is lacking discipline, the players after a timeout looked unfazed, not tuned in. Here is the deal, IF some of our players were trouble makers or weren't discipline, she should have run them off or at least suspended. Things got out of control and we got much worse as the season went alone. Some left on there own and maybe some were ask to leave, if you can't control your locker room, no way you can control floor management with players. Lord knows why she didn't get this from Pat Summit who had what it takes in taking control.
    This, 100%. The team quit on her and coach looked like she could care less. If players quit on me like that I would have been going ballistic and found some players that at least gave a crap.

vCash
    Coach McCray-Penson bringing in all of this very high level talent, and top level assistant coaches is scaring.Miss. State fans that dislike and hate her....these pulling hard for her to fail. Won't her to just give up, and go away, disappear. It hurts them to see positive offseason movement. Good bit of them were against her even before she coached her first game at Miss. State. Some of their hearts are still with the old state flag, old Mississippi, old south, vain. pride, confederate views, stand by police and other. racial violence and injustice..these type values. ect. Though, some fans don't see themselves as listed above...still good to check in the mirror.

Yes, some people....are waking up. Pharaoh in the scriptures arms were too short to fight against , the most high, our Heavenly Father...still nothing changed today..